Magic Online Testers! Report here please!

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey, all you Beta Testers! Post your username here, and we can start a CPA clan (if there isn't one already). Add me to your buddy list. I'll add you to mine.

I am Chaos Turtle of course!

I

Istanbul

I wish I coulda been a beta tester. :(

When's it gonna be officially available to the public?

B

BigBlue

MahamotiDragon

I thought it sounded rather Big and Blue. hehe.

C

Chaos Turtle

If there is a Premiere Store anywhere near you, go there and ask for the Beta test CD. It's supposed to be offered as a download sometime soon as well. It's an open beta, so there's no qualification other than that you need the program.

Official release date ("goes gold") is supposed to be 1st quarter of 2002. Or maybe it's 2nd quarter; I don't remember offhand.

I

Istanbul

Could someone with a Premiere store near them send me a CD? I'll pay shipping costs.

C

Chaos Turtle

Testers interested in joining, there is a clan called "Casual Players Alliance" now. I'm not sure if you can just join or if I have to invite you, or if any member can invite you. Look for me when you're online and we can figure it out.

M

Mundungu

I'll try to get the CD or download and Join, but wont be able to play often (at best) : New Job and new Baby on the way :)

I

Istanbul

ARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!

For those with a 33.6 connection, know that Setup takes about SIX HOURS to do.
Also know that my ISP disconnected me at 95% done the first time, and 99% done the second time.

Know the best part? If I can't get my ISP to stay connected long enough, I can't play this game. EVER. Even when it comes out on public release! Because I still won't be able to download the fscking setup files!

Chaos Turtle - Please contact me. I need to know if you can ICQ me the last files I need, starting with SMACKW32.DLL.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Does the new file to download install itself on the computer or upgrades the existing files or something? Or is it a separate file by itself that you can unzip or whatever to install?

I

Istanbul

Oh, no. That would be ENTIRELY too easy.

You download the file, and unzip it. A couple of megs, nothing big.
Then you run Setup.

Setup connects to some server somewhere, and proceeds to download TEN TRILLION files from that server. I can only assume that there's actually something beyond downloading to do, because I have no idea how I'll actually get an account there otherwise.

I

Istanbul

Oh, and if you get interrupted, you think it'll just download the files it needs and skip the ones you already have?

WRONG!

It downloads ALL of the files over again, with NO way to skip over the ones you don't need. Six more hours!

C

Chaos Turtle

That's horrible. Is there any way at all to avoid the auto-disconnect?

It's rather stupid that it has to download all the files again. that's absurd. Do you know anyone who has a faster connection who'd let you DL it there? you can save it to a CD and put it directly onto your PC.

The .dll you mentioned is in the .zip. Did you move the unzipped files to the "wizards of the coast\magic online" folder? That's where they gotta be.

The retail version should have most of those files right on the CD, so don't panic on that count. You'll probably want to consider going up to a 56k modem though. They're pretty cheap.

If there's anything I can do to help, PM me or ICQ me. I'll be on again tonight.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was wondering that too.... get a 56 modem. They're pretty cheap... :)

Anyways, I'm wondering if a download manager might help. They do stuff like keep track of where you were if you get disconnected and start at that point instead of at the beginning. I don't know of their names offhand or where to get them; Godzilla comes to mind and maybe at File Planet? I'll look if I ever get the time today....

B

BigBlue

Sorry spidey, it is an "in-game" download, so you can't use useful utilities like the ones you listed.

Isty, has it gone far enough that you have a "magic.exe" or "modo.exe" program yet? if you run either of those, it should then check which files you still need and "skip" the others. I'm not sure, but those are some of the final pieces to the puzzle, so you may not have them yet, but hopefully you do.

We'll be waiting for you, it is worth it, trust me. and 33.6 is adequate to run the program, it just takes longer to do the upgrades. I only connect at 28.8 and don't have problems running the game, just patience when it updates the files. Also when you do get in, you'll notice that at the bottom right hand corner it will be still downloading, I'd wait for those to finish before doing anything else as you get horrible lag while it downloads, yes I realize it may take an hour or so. Then I would go into collection and set the quantity owned to "<=0" and flip page by page through the cards to get the images before playing. again hours, but all these hours spent early will greatly enhance playing later, avoiding more downloading while playing. when it goes gold, I hope they include all the card pictures on the disc, otherwise it will suck to have to dl them again. It could be worse, you could have been an Alphatester and after getting them all, have them erased and have to redownload them. :(

Again, it is worth the wait, honest.

Hints for those playing:

Try not to spend all your points, but try to keep below 50, as testers they frequently distribute 50 pts to everyone below 50, so you continually get points. frequently = 1-3 times per week. They do not look at your collections when doing these gifts, so you can keep product and event tickets in your collection for later use while staying below 50.

Join the leagues, they are fun, and a much funner way to open some packs. They usually have an IPA league and an OD league going.

If you are a good drafter, draft a lot, they run 8 player pods, and the winner get's 8 packs, 2nd gets 4 packs. You can do rochester or booster in OD, IPA, or 7th (yuck). If you look at the "spreadsheet" view of them, you can see the format for them, and avoid the "fast" drafts, fast is really fast. also look at the deck construction time, 5 min is barely adequate, but doable, while 10 is optimal imho.

Well, I could go on, but it would bore those not playing already, or those who already know. Perhaps later I'll put together an article.

I

Istanbul

CT - Nope! It just seems to disconnect whenever I'm almost done. No way *I* can think of to avoid it.

I actually do have both a magic.exe and a modo.exe file.
Funny thing is...I moved the files to the folder in question. Now it's saying 'Cannot access file. Please make sure the Magic Online v0.839 CD-Rom is in the drive.' I did the trick with deleting updated.lst and running setup again, but that didn't help.

Oh, BTW...I have a 56K modem. The question was 'what speed do I CONNECT at'.