Magic Online News 6/30/2005

L

Limited

Is this shocking news? I was reading the article about the 'totally mindblowin piece of information' and was assured by Bennie to be 'left in a state of utter discombobulation'.. but my reaction was mostly 'meh'.

Maybe it's because I don't play MTGO ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's "shocking" in that it was either previously assumed or said that no sets earlier than Invasion would be released in MTGO.

C

Chaos Turtle

To those of us who were involved with MTGO from the outset (beta testers, say "HO!!) it is indeed shocking news. It had been made clear that there would not ever be any sets pre-Invasion available in MTGO, which many found disappointing and a good reason to not play.

In all the message board postings I've seen, maybe half a dozen people have expressed disinterest, all of them claiming that they don't play MTGO, which makes one wonder why they bother to post to the threads at all.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't play MTGO, but I think it is interesting. I find it odd that they're throwing Mirage in there. I mean, they COULD work forward from Mirage or something, but there isn't really a strong sign that they will...

O

orgg

My reaction... since I learned, until now:

*Stunned*

Phasing. Banding. Flanking. TLY FGGN SVG! *headbangs*

L

Limited

Chaos Turtle said:
In all the message board postings I've seen, maybe half a dozen people have expressed disinterest, all of them claiming that they don't play MTGO, which makes one wonder why they bother to post to the threads at all.
I see your point

*slowly backing away from thread, hands up in the air...*

G

Gizmo

Orgg has it right. Introducing Mirage is a MAJOR step as it's more than just a new card set, its new basic rules programmed into the system. That theyre working on this implies that in future there will be a rollout, simply to pick Mirage and post it seems very random so I would assume its the beginning of a rollout.

C

Chaos Turtle

Limited said:
I see your point

*slowly backing away from thread, hands up in the air...*
Don't forget to leave your wallet. I need the money for MTGO digital objects. ;)

O

orgg

Gizmo said:
Orgg has it right. Introducing Mirage is a MAJOR step as it's more than just a new card set, its new basic rules programmed into the system. That theyre working on this implies that in future there will be a rollout, simply to pick Mirage and post it seems very random so I would assume its the beginning of a rollout.
So will we see CPA_Gizmo or somesuch on MOL soon?

Would you actually like to be in the clan, or would it be embarassing? :p

M

Mr_Pestilence

I think this must be an effort to recruit more players. By itself, I don't think this means much, but if they were to include MirVLight, Tempest block, and Urza's block, then they might have something.

That being said, I think the main thing holding people back is the ridiculous pricing structure. Why should people pay full retail for virtual cards when they can get the real thing for 1/2 price?

Sure, playing casually online can be enjoyable, but the price keeps me from going all out and trying to build multiple competitive decks.

*checks credit card balance, shakes head, mutters incoherently*

I

Istanbul

You can get Mirage packs for $1.85 a pack? o_O

Man, you gotta hook me up.

J

jorael

And me too :)

Some friends and I are going to do a mirage-weatherlight draft very soon. Must be fun!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think these two Q&A pretty much answer "Why Mirage" and "Any other sets?"
IntoTheAether: Why Mirage?
JZ: Mirage is the first set based on the block system and it was the first set designed with both limited and constructed game play in mind. Given those, it was the obvious choice.

IntoTheAether: I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering: Is this a one shot deal, or are you going to do other old sets?
JZ: We'll call it a one shot deal for now. If things go well, I could envision releasing sets moving forward from Mirage.

G

Gizmo

orgg said:
So will we see CPA_Gizmo or somesuch on MOL soon?

Would you actually like to be in the clan, or would it be embarassing? :p

I dont play MOL - dont have a credit card (I dont spend money that isnt mine). My mate keeps trying to get me into it but I'm kinda glad I dont have a Magic shop in my bedroom 24/7, dont think Id get much else done...

G

Gizmo

Apparently Ive qualified for nationals on my ranking again, and this time I might go... so I might be starting up MTGO to get some practice in with the new T2 format after Saviours.

G

Gizmo

What's a players club?

And yeah, I need a credit card - been accepted (something to do with having a good job and no debts?) but waiting for paperwork and gubbins.

O

orgg

It's the new perq for being a professional player.

Pro Players Club Benefits
Level 1
Players get one bye at all Grand Prix

Level 2
Players get two byes at all Grand Prix
Players are invited to their country's national championship

Level 3
Everything listed before, plus ...
Players get three byes at all Grand Prix
Players are invited to all Pro Tours, including Worlds
Players get a $500 appearance fee whenever they compete in a Pro Tour/Worlds

Level 4
Free airfare to one Pro Tour/Worlds of the player's choice during the current season
Pro Tour appearance fee raised to $1000

Level 5
Free airfare to all Pro Tours and Worlds
Pro Tour appearance fee raised to $1500
$250 appearance fee whenever the player competes in a Grand Prix

Level 6
Free hotel room at all Pro Tours and Worlds
Pro Tour appearance fee raised to $2000
Grand Prix appearance fee raised to $500

Pro Points Needed:
Level 1: 1 point
Level 2: 10 points
Level 3: 20 points
Level 4: 30 points
Level 5: 45 points
Level 6: 60 points

I think this goes up a bit each year by about five points a level.