Magic Online help in starting up?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I got the CDs from WOTC store (and am sending them out to Isty and Ura), but I decided to try this thing and popped it in, connected to the Internet and installed what I was supposed to, but have no idea what to do next. The .exe files on the installation is just the one on the CD, to "update the files". What's the executable that actually gets the program going?

Plus, I don't see a login thing on the WOTC website; are they all taken now or something?

C

Chaos Turtle

The installation should have put a shortcut to "modo.exe" on your desktop. If not, find it in the "wizards of the coast/magic online" folder and run it. This is the updater that will download the latest version of "magic.exe" and any files you need to get started. it also will automatically run "magic.exe" when it is finished.

When you get it started up, there will be a button called "New Account." Press that and you'll be taken to the Magic Online Store. (You can also just go to magiconlinestore.wizards.com) You will either see a login/new account page, or a page informing you that new accounts are temporarily unavailable.

I

Istanbul

New accounts have been unavailable for a while now.

I'm holding out a glimmer of hope, but I've all but given up on getting an account before the official release of the product.

L

Lotus Mox

Istanbul, there are some few new accounts available, but you have to be a bit lucky to get them. :)

Just check regularly the wizards online store. I heard that they are usually given out on weekends, but I can't confirm this rumor.

C

Chaos Turtle

Right. the new accounts are made available in very small batches. Nearly every day for the past week or so I've played someone who says they've just started.

I

Istanbul

Apparently, the store's site will be down 'for a few moments'.

'A few moments' has lasted for a few days now, whenever I checked...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I do have the modos so I'll try it.

I sent you a PM about the CD Isty, so hopefully you can get in before the official release :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My experience is not jiving with what you're saying, Chaos Turtle. If it happens to help anyone else:

When I auto-ran the CD, it asked me if I wanted to "Install" or "Connect". I was already connected to the Net so I picked Install and followed the choices. It proceeded to connect to WOTC and d/l a bunch of files.

At the end, it had created a folder in my Program Files called wizards of the coast and four .exe files: Magic, Magic1, modo, and modo1. The Magics seemed to repeat the Installation process. modo asked for the files.ins (the problem ademis seemed to have). modo1 goes to the create a new account page and logs on to WOTC again (which happens to be down now :( )

So that's my experience. I guess it's working except for that modo asking for th .ins file but ... <shrug>