Magic Invitational 2000

L

Landkiller

Who do you want to win this year's Invitational?

I hope Darwin Kastle wins, and makes Avalanche Riders again. ;)

Seriously, though, Avalanche Riders was excellent, and I hope Kastle wins.

Z

Zadok001

The player's submitted cards can be found at http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=MI00\987inviteecards. Darwin made a Wall with a Telepathy built in and a sack to draw a card mechanic, which is pretty neat.

Personally, I like Boeken's card. And I loathe Wise's card, it's either bent or broken- I haven't decided which quite yet... :) Exceedingly powerful.

I'm hoping for Zvi to win, though. His decks and writing both push him over the top as far as my opinion of him is concerned, and his card is A-MAZING-LY cool. :) Like, funny as all get out, laughing out loud, confused to the end, screaming about rules GREAT. Go Zvi!

L

Landkiller

Wow.

I liked Zvi's, Pikula's, Blackwell's, Budde's, Kastle's, and Rubin's. If any of those six win, I will be happy about that.

Most of the rest are ok, not too interesting, and Wise's card isn't balanced as is.

Shvartsman submitted the auto-reject card. A cheaper Ring of Ma'ruf. This one even the DCI will have a hard time not to ban.

Here's the card I sent Price when he requested a card for the Invitational :

Crystal Prison 3
Artifact
X, T : Tap target artifact, land or creature unless it's controller pays X+1 mana.

A

arhar

I'm rooting for Alex Shvartsman, because he's a very nice guy :)

B

Baskil

Same here, Alex all the way :) He's way underrated(or underpublicized), and a nice guy to boot.

If I went by card, it would *HAVE* to be Bob Maher's card. That thing is too frickin cool. Close Runner-up : Yoshikazu Ishii. That might be one of the few Invitational cards that doesn't need serious work before print.

L

Landkiller

Rank Player Score
1 Noah Boeken 7-2
1 Dave Price 7-2
1 Alex Shvartsman 7-2
4 Jon Finkel 6-3
4 Ben Rubin 6-3
6 Gary Wise 5-4
7 Trevor Blackwell 4-5
7 Ryan Fuller 4-5
7 Yoshikazu Ishii 4-5
7 Darwin Kastle 4-5
7 Mike Long 4-5
7 Bob Maher, Jr. 4-5
13 Gerardo Godinez Estrada 3-6
13 Zvi Mowshowitz 3-6
13 Chris Pikula 3-6
16 Kai Budde 1-8

And on another note :

Of the Player's Cards

1 Lands
3 Black
4 Blue
2 Red
3 Gold
3 Artifact
1 Green

The Invitational Player's shafted white, and came up with no split cards.

This Info comes from the http://www.sideboard.com's coverage of the Invitational.

These are the Player's cards :

Trevor Blackwell
Roxland
Land
Roxland comes into play with two rock counters on it.
T, Remove a rock counter from Roxland: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
T: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.

Noah Boeken
Ravenous Ghoul
2B
Creature -- Zombie
2/1
When Ravenous Ghoul comes into play, target opponent discards a card at random.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Ravenous Ghoul is in your graveyard and if any opponent has four or more cards in hand, you may pay B. If you do, return Ravenous Ghoul to play.

Kai Budde
Ertai's Call
2U
Instant
Choose a number. Return all permanents with converted mana cost equal to that number to their owners' hands.

Jon Finkel
Wrath of LekniF
1WWU
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated. Untap up to four lands.

Ryan Fuller
Crystal Formation
Artifact
Crystal Mine comes into play with four rock counters on it.
T, Remove a rock counter from Crystal Mine: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Gerardo Godinez
GG, Master of the Shadow
2GG
Creature -- Beast
5/5
Flying; protection from black
Fading 4 #(This creature comes into play with four fade counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from it. If you can't, sacrifice it.)#

Yoshikazu Ishii
In the Other World
3GU
Enchantment
Players can't play instants or sorceries.
At the beginning of your upkeep, destroy In the Other World unless you sacrifice a permanent.

Darwin Kastle
Wizard's Tower
1U
Creature -- Wall
0/3
#(Walls can't attack.)#
Flying
All opponents play with their hands revealed.
1U, Sacrifice Wizard's Tower: Draw a card.

Michael Long
Ahava
2RW
Creature -- Dragon Angel
3/3
Flying
Remove Ahava, a white card from your hand, and two white cards from your library from the game: Choose one -- Return Ahava to play; or return Ahava to play at end of the turn.
Remove from the game Dragon Angel, a red card in your hand, and two red cards in your library: Dragon Angel deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Bob Maher
Bock, Elite Trader
1UU
Creature -- Legend
0/2
Bock, Elite Trader can't be the target of spells or abilities.
T: You gain control of up to three target permanents target player controls. That player gains control of up to two target permanents of his or her choice that you control. #(This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)# Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

Zvi Mowshowitz
Yawgmoth's Revenge
3BB
Enchantment
As Yawgmoth's Revenge comes into play, choose an opponent.
You may play cards in the chosen player's graveyard as though they were in your hand.
If a card would be put into the chosen player's graveyard, that player may remove it from the game instead.
"It's payback time."

Chris Pikula
Fledgling Vampire
1BB
Creature -- Vampire
2/1
Flying
Whenever Fledgling Vampire deals damage to an opponent, you may pay 2 life. If you do, draw a card.

David Price
Goblin Horde
R
Creature -- Goblin
1/1
When Goblin Horde comes into play, you may discard a card at random from your hand. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Goblin Horde.

Ben Rubin
Will of the Masters
R
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature he or she controls. Each player may bid life for control of that creature. The player whose turn it is begins the bidding at 0. In turn order, each player may top the high bid. Bidding ends if the high bid stands. The highest bidder may destroy the chosen creature. Repeat this process for each creature controlled by the player whose turn it is. The player whose turn it is draws a card for each creature he or she controls destroyed this way.
"Everything is negotiable."

Alex Shvartsman
Shard Portal
Artifact
1, Remove Shard Portal from the game: Put a Magic card you own removed from the game or not in the game into your hand.

Gary Wise
Planeswalker's Unholy Razor
Artifact
4, T, Discard your hand: Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated.

D

Duel

The finals will be Jon Finkel:
Wrath of LekniF
1WWU
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures. They can't be regenerated. Untap up to four lands.

Vs

Ben Rubin
Will of the Masters
R
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature he or she controls. Each player may bid life for control of that creature. The player whose turn it is begins the bidding at 0. In turn order, each player may top the high bid. Bidding ends if the high bid stands. The highest bidder may destroy the chosen creature. Repeat this process for each creature controlled by the player whose turn it is. The player whose turn it is draws a card for each creature he or she controls destroyed this way.
"Everything is negotiable."

Take a good long look at these cards, you'll be seeing one of them in play soon.

I wanted Kastle's card, though.

A

Apollo

Good lord. Finkel's is too good of a Wrath, as it costs the same (converted) and lets you still counter. Rubin's is just ridiculous. It wouldn't be all that good, and would make casual multiplayer games last forever.

D

Duel

Finkel won.

Sell your Wrath of Gods NOW, while they're still worth something!

Z

Zadok001

Un-panic, guys. Remember, R&D has over a year to balance that card as much as they want, as long as they leave the basic idea intact. Besides, the card is hardly 'broken' as is, only slightly bent. Strong, but not too strong. R&D has a _YEAR_. YEAR. Y-E-A-R. Long time.

Remember, Long's Merfolk (aka Rootwater Thief) looked like this originally:

1U
1/2
U: Flying until end of turn.
Whenever ~this~ deals damage to an opponent, you may search that player's library for any card and remove it from the game.

Righto. Get my drift? Panic Mode? Off.

D

DÛke

...they're not original. I mean, the Invitational card coming out in Planeshift is very good, not to mention, unique.

That "Wrath of LekniF" is powerful, and yes, it is good; though where's the imagination in it? It's a Wrath of God for free. BOOM. Yep, that's it. Was Time Spiral "unique"? NO! It was broken, but not unique; it was a "rehash". So is this poor card.

A

Apollo

I kind of agree with DUke. Rootwater Thief and Meddling Mage are both rather unique, new cards. Wrath of Leknif, well, it's the same old thing (just twice as good).

D

Duel

On the other hand, Zadok, before R&D, Meddling Mage was this:

The Meddler
2U
When The Meddler comes into play, choose a card.
Sacrifice the meddler: counter that card.
2/2

D

DÛke

...are you implying that they have changed The Meddler into a stronger being? I don't think they did. I also don't think they would have the ability to make this Wrath stronger than it already is.

A

Apollo

DUke: you bet they made The Meddler better! It costs less and you don't have to sac it anymore, and it hasn't gotten worse in any way. And I agree that they definitely won't make this any better, but I bet Duel was saying that sorta tonue-in-cheek.

Z

Zadok001

And, IMHO, Meddler was rather weak in its initial conception. They strengthened it up to a tourney level card, but not a bent or broken one. Wrath is somewhat overpowered, IMHO, and therefore I theorize will be made weaker so as to even the playing field.

(Do note, however, that R&D has been known to make mistakes in these matters. IMHO, the most powerful Invitational card was Avalanche Riders, which started as a 3RR non-echo creature. In its new form, it improved immensely. That was a mistake. :) R&D ain't infalliable, but I'll trust 'em...)

D

Duel

True. Yes, I was kidding. When WOTC sees an overpowered card, in general, they are good at stopping it, or making it playable, but not broken.

I maintain that meddling mage will be the most powerful invitational card up to this point. It's good, damn good. I wanted castle to win, because anything resembling wall of blossoms gets a + in my books....