Magic: Commander Previews

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Looks like you can buy all 5 decks for $150.....
interesting that they are really pushing the Commando format......
Sol Rings are now... cheaper...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sol Ring was in 3rd Edition as an uncommon. I might be out of the loop, but I don't think it's that hard to come by. I'm all for the reprinting of old powerhouses, though. They shouldn't be available only to wealthier players or veteran players that got them back when they were affordable and managed to hang onto them. Unfortunately, the reserved list would get in the way of most of that...

Join Forces is an interesting attempt at making fun multiplayer cards. All I can think of, though, are ways for it to hilariously backfire on the player using the card...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sol Ring was in 3rd Edition as an uncommon. I might be out of the loop, but I don't think it's that hard to come by.
Um, yeah, like what, 16 years ago? I might be out of the loop, but I bet they *are* hard to come by.

Mark Globus's article about Zedruu

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It was a set with a very large print run (for its time, anyway). I have way more cards from it than from any other set, including more than enough Sol Rings. I'm not saying that Sol Rings are dirt-cheap, but for such a powerful card, it's pretty available. And it's banned or restricted in every format, so it's not in high demand by tournament players or anything...

Cardshark has it listed around $10-12, which is admittedly around double what I would have guessed, although still chump-change compared to what one would have to pay for the other old banned/restricted artifact mana cards (with the obvious exception of Mana Vault). So I suppose it's up to interpretation whether that counts as affordable or not. On the one hand, it seems pretty pricey for a piece of cardboard. On the other, I'm pretty sure I once paid like $50 each for some Tarmogoyfs.

I don't like Zedruu at all, even though I'm a big fan of Donate. Even without the absurd color requirement, it looks way too slow.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Join Forces is a great multi-player mechanic. I can see that being in all of my decks, just to get everyone involved in the game... or at least my turn....
Zedruu could be really good and funny..... say giving someone Goblin Spy...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
I'm not saying that Sol Rings are dirt-cheap, but for such a powerful card, it's pretty available. And it's banned or restricted in every format, so it's not in high demand by tournament players or anything...
It's "powerful" in that it gives more mana that what it costs to play it, without any downsides. Now admittedly, the amount of mana given is relatively small, but can still boost a deck. So I would say without looking that for an *uncommon*, it is probably one of the most expensive around.

Being banned/restricted in every format pretty much shows its power. It's not in relative demand by that nature because *tournament* players only need one in a deck (although who knows how often they keep swapping it between decks or just use another one in different decks), but casual players/players not followers of the B/R List could easily use more. And seeing how people tend not to swap out cards between decks if they have multiples of it but just use another copy, they'd probably want to keep their Rings and not give them up so readily (hence, the price you find). So while they *can* be gotten, yes, it still takes some effort.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Being banned/restricted in every format pretty much shows its power. It's not in relative demand by that nature because *tournament* players only need one in a deck (although who knows how often they keep swapping it between decks or just use another one in different decks), but casual players/players not followers of the B/R List could easily use more. And seeing how people tend not to swap out cards between decks if they have multiples of it but just use another copy, they'd probably want to keep their Rings and not give them up so readily (hence, the price you find). So while they *can* be gotten, yes, it still takes some effort.
Keep in mind that while tournament players might only need one, the only tournament players that need any at all are tournament players that play Vintage. And if they play Vintage, Sol Ring will be the least of their problems. But yeah, I guess if a casual player wants the boost from having four Sol Rings in a deck, they're going to be expensive. That player should track me down and trade with me, since I definitely have some to spare. Actually, that player should have done it before I found out how much they're going for. Too late now!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
So I went to a Commando prerelease with KJ. Meh... $30, for 1 deck (100 cards)... We went with another friend a got there 1/2 hour early (10:30am), when they opend the doors, they told that they may not have enough product for us, since we didn't prereg....... prereg? their site said nothing about it. I guess that's the new way to do prereleases, reserve your place and product, since stores only get/order so much...... ugh the days of huge events are a thing of the past.
They took our money (plus tax, so 32 something) and gave us product and that was the extent of their organizing the event. Players had to go round up their own games. All play was casual. I played one game with 5 players with each different deck, so the game took forever. Although the other players were very nice and casual. Left there about 2:30pm.
The Join forces mechanic happened a total of one time... it was the draw cards and was cast so early, X equaled 4......
I played the Mastery something deck, and you can choose one of 3 commanders, I went with the one that gets a counter each time I cast a creature spell and then creature spells and reduced by X to cast for me. I got that commander out 3 times and never cast 1 creature, since there are few low casting cost creatures in the deck, but lost of instants and sorceries that produce creatures..... but that was no help.
All in all I was underwhelmed by the whole experience.
BTW- every deck had a Sol Ring in it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Was it the playing experience that was underwhelming or how the event was run?

BTW- every deck had a Sol Ring in it.
We knew that from the 3rd and 4th post in this thread ;)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Mostly the event, nothing was organized as far as pods were concerned, luckily a group of three needed two of our decks to make five. KJ only played a game of three and two decks were the same.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So the decks themselves are okay? Maybe we should play here while waiting for Ransac in the first Commander game...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I posted the link to the decklists in the Commander thread in Games Run. Looks like you, me, and possibly turgy22, DF, and Oversoul, which would make for a full house if everyone decides to play :)