Magic and D&D

A

arhar

I'm wondering

Do you people

a) Play Dungeons and Dragons

b) Used to play it, but switch to Magic (like me)

c) Never played it

d) Other - what?

C

Chaos Turtle

I used to play, but fell out of it when I got into Magic.
I will, however, be getting back in with the new 3rd Edition stuff comeing out this year. I've been following the news on it and I like very much what I've seen.
(It will do even more for D&D than 6th ed rules did for Magic! )

M

Mundungu

I have played D&D for almost 7 years during the good old times of Dungeon master's book,
Player's handbook and Monster Manual.

Damn, that seems so far away now.
I also played Rolemaster (that was great)
Call of chtuluh
and many many others

I had to stop because I left my country and couldnt find anybody new to play with. At that time (92) I wanted to start playing magic but couldnt find anybody to play with (small town and the cards were in english ..)

So to my deep regrets I didnt play then and really started playing magic in 96.

Magic is definitly a kind of replacement for RPGs.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I played in high school (lo those many years ago), but it took so much time I couldn't continue when it came time for work and college.

Plus, a Player's Manual, DM Guide, Monster Manual and a couple of modules were no longer enough. You had to have a new hardcover manual a month, plus character sheets, a heaping handful of dice, etc. - it was just too much to keep up with.

Plus, the number of quality DM's is really small. I guess it's kind of like Magic in that everybody thinks they can design "great" cards. What do you get when you cross a moron and a DM Guide? Well, not much, but you sure waste a lot of time.

G

Gizmo

AD&D?
Eww!!

Mage:The Ascension - now THATS a roleplaying game.

A

arhar

I'll dare to disagree with you, Gizmo. I played both AD&D and Mage and I found Mage really one-sided and often boring. Of course, the opportunities for designing your own spells are much better, but that's about the whole game! And fighting against NWO, werewolves, vampires, sleepers and THAT'S IT can get pretty boring too.

As for D&D, I'm still trying to figure out what happened that I've lost interest to it. Maybe people in my playing group have forgotten that true purpose of D&D is to socialize and have fun, not trying to outdo every other character... Or maybe it's because I actually grew up and *gasp* got a life! Don't flame me for this, but IMO Magic and life mix much better than D&D and life.. but that's a different topic entirely.

Z

Zadok001

I played D&D for a while, but haven't lately, mainly due to the people I would be forced to play _with_, (i.e., the person looking over my shoulder right now... Go away! J/K) they're all nuts...

Basically, they tend to make the games rather unrealistic and dull. They have this really bad habit of simply deciding to annihilate any PC for the slightest transgression. Unfortunetely, sometimes said transgressions are made purely in self defense (they guy tried to file down my minotaur horns! WTF is up with that????)...

"Bad Things(tm)"

M

Mundungu

Any RPG is basically a set of rules trying to put real world actions in numbers and probabilities.

The rules do not really matter. The players and especially the DM (dungeon master) are what makes RPG great or bad.

I had the chance to play with a group that was cool, fun and had a great DM. His dream was to become a writer and he had excellent story telling skills and imagination.

RPG type open door - kill monster - take treasure are no fun. That is for sure.

In the last years we would almost play without any rulebook exept for combats. All up to the imagination.

It was great and I miss it a lot. I am sure the guy we played with would have loved to play magic, if he doesnt already. I lost contact 10 years ago so :(

F

FoundationOfRancor

I never had played it and I dont plan on it. Magic takes too much time itself! :)

G

galtwish

I played AD&D in grade school and loved it. Then I played D&D in junior high, as I couldn't find the books for AD&D, complecated by the fact that my parents are -very- against D&D (and Magic, for theat matter). I got the books for myself in high school, and again in college, and just recently I repurchased the old skool AD&D 1st Edition books. God, I love those books. I haven't played with anybody since grade school because most roleplayers SUCK! My new Magic group has a lot of promising roleplayers in it, but as was mentioned, MTG lends itself to busier lifestyles, as RPGs take at least one 8 hour+ session a week to be involving. I can squeeze in 4 hours a week for roleplaying if I want, but it is a lot easier to play MTG for an hour a day, and play while my wife is in class or doing homework. Additionally, most people here recognize that you can "play" Magic (read the web and chat) while you're supposed to be working or doing work on a computer. So Magic is really helped by the Internet, while RPGs suffer from a more fragmented society brought on by instant information, at least for me.
So I still play both, although Palladium made a great system, and Rifts is an amazing campaign setting. Shadowrun (too many rules holes) and Battletech (1st Ed) both have a lot of great things going for them, but don't hold the simplicity and possibility of Palladium.

Erik

O

Ophidian

I used to play dnd with a large group of people, before during and after magic games. That was very confusing.

"I'll play a land and.. attack with my barbarian! Whoops, wrong game"

Unfortunately, I have not played in a while (It sucks being responsible, dosen't it?), so when 3rd edition rules come out, I hope to convince a few people I know to try it, right now they only play magic. I don't know how to DM, though, and our group's DM moved to florida :( . But yes, I would play if I could. I wish I could find other people who played around my house.

G

Gryphonclaw

I have played D&D, but never for very long.
I'm rather an eclectic roleplayer, in that I'm interested in trying just about any campaign, but have never played in one for very long. (Actually I don't think I've ever even played long enough to level up a character.)

I don't seek out D&D because I really don't like the rules system, and especially the spell system.
I do like other roleplaying systems more, but D&D is most prevalent.
As a result I have designed my own RPG, wich is simple, thorough, understandable, and needs a ton of revision before it's gonna be playable. :) (right now I'm playtesting it with a couple of friends, and we hardly ever use it.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I played Basic and Expert D&D way back in the beginning of the '80s. It was nice, kept everything simple.

Then I stopped and played alot of computer games until Magic came along.

I still play some computer games and have started up AD&D, although very sporadically, while Magic has slowed pretty much to a standstill. Oh and I play Warhammer Fantasy.

The thing I noticed about D&D in general is that unless you're using a TSR module, the DM tends to make the adventure unbalanced... such as get a Godsword :) after killing some goblins at 2nd level. Well, maybe not that extreme, but something along those lines. Very powerful items for little risk. And of course, a problem is when the party gets a certain level (5th) and then someone actually dies and either has to start over at 1st and no one wants to sit around and wait for him to get to 5th, re-roll a new 5th, resurrect him (!), or have the 1st travel with the 5th and get ungodly amounts of XP and treasure (plus character sharing).

Well, maybe these aren't REAL problems, but just things I've noticed as a whole.

T

theorgg

I have been interested in D&D for awhile after beginning magic, but I never started.

I recently, however, played a LARP-- http://www.solarinc.org --Great fun, sun burn and soreness!!

A

Almindhra

I play D&D when I can...Its hard to gather people togther to play it...I usually choose a bard or theif...I've tried to play Baldur's Gate too...( computer version of D&D )...I chose a theif...People get mad when you steal from them all the time...*grin*...And I keep getting killed...So I've given up...Its hard to keep going when you play for ten minutes, then get killed, and have to start a new character...( has happened to me about 5 times, no more chaotic neutral for me )

~Almindhra

D

Dune Echo

Yes, I used to play D&D. I still have many fond memories, but the guys I used to play with all had a kind of falling out. My best friends turned into assholes and I just couldn't play with another group after that. It wouldn't be my group. Anyway, Magic was far easier to get into and find players. It only takes two!

I

Istanbul

Ahhh, memories of D&D.

My first group was a couple of gimmie-everything-for-free guys. Yawn.

My second group refused to play D&D, unless I ran it. I ran it once. They were stupid. They died. They wouldn't play anymore.

Maybe when I find a GOOD group...