Losing weight.

M

mythosx

Summer is right around the corner and I was looking at losing some weight. Any one have any tips or a work out regimen they can share? Killer Joe?

D

DarthFerret

We could petition Wizards of the Coast to increase the density and weight of thier card stock so as to get a cardiovascular workout while holding your hand of cards in the air. In this case I would suggest a Library of Leng (or the other artifact whose name escapes me at the moment) and a very large (80+ cards) library and some brilliant draw mechanics! :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of workout are you looking for? Do you prefer aerobic or weight-lifting-type activites? Free or fee-based?

I was a swimmer, so I'm biased towards that. But biking/hiking/running is good too. I was never one to really lift weights though.

B

BigBlue

Find the aspect of your diet which isn't "necessary"... and reduce it/cut it... that's the "easiest" way... I was addicted to pop and was drinking way too much every day. I gave it up and lost 45 pounds in a year without exercise...

I bought a treadmill last december and never thought I'd enjoy running, but I actually do... I could never jog because I have a pacing issue (I start sprinting and getting tired quickly). W/ the treadmill, it keeps my speed in check. I haven't lost much weight, but I haven't been religious about my regimen - it's harder to find time with a toddler.

E

EricBess

I lost 15-20 pounds over the course of several months, but I wouldn't recommend my weight-loss method, which involves having a botched surgery. :D

M

mythosx

Hahaha, thanks for you help.

I lettered four years in high school in chess. So I always make the joke that the rooks are extra heavy and such it makes it a sport.

I like swimming too Spiderman, but research and my own experience has shown that it doesn't get me cut. I can loose weight but I can't seem to get definition. I used to swim a mile every Sunday at the University pool.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hm, yeah, getting "cut" probably involves weights.

Honestly though, a mile isn't much. That's what, 1650 yards? You probably should be doing something like 3-5000 yards a day and mixing it up, stroke-wise and pace-wise (sprints, intervals, etc).

But basically, any exercise(s)/activities that causes you to use more calories than you take in will allow you to lose weight and probably build muscle and get more "cut" :)

E

EricBess

rokapoke;283123 said:
One can letter in chess?
Depends on the school, but yes. Chess is officially considered a sport, as is checkers, but that has less support.

Killer Joe

Since Aug. 2006 I've sorta been paying alot of attention to this particular topic.

Here's the gist of it: Eating correct size portions along with eliminating from your diet foods high in fat, you will lose weight.

*point blank*

That's it, that's the BIG secret. The actual TOUGH part is implementing that notion and making it a habit. Losing weight is way more about getting the combination of; habit, knowledge and attitude to work in your favor.

So how do you do THAT!?

We all need a "GOAL"! :D

My goal, at first, was to not have to use insulin shots to control my diabetes. Later, after I got my diabetes under "REAL" control through diet and exercise, I shifted my goal to vanity. Yes, I'm a bit vain, I know it's a deadly sin but the way I look is the one thing in my life that I have absolute control of and it took my effort, alone, to make it happen.

As for exercising I started out with simply walking 10 min. in one direction in my neighborhood then turned around and walked back. But the real key to success in this form of cardio is walk like you're late for an appointment. I see 'casual strollers' all the time walking the track or mall and I think to myself, "Yup, and you'll STAY fat walking that slow." there are no substitutes for cardio either. Cardio exersise is when you are keeping your heart rate up so standing and walking around the office all DOES NOT count nor will it improve your heart condition. Walking briskly is something that could be done at least four times a week for 20-40 min. per day. Results will be seen and felt within several weeks but if you're not eating right then there will never be results.

After I lost my initial 25 or so pounds a good friend of mine's husband suggested I lift weights to tone up the flubby-flab. He gave me some pointers and a couple of his Muscle & Fitness magazines to read.

Today, I lift five times a week and do cardio five to six times a week. My cardio includes doing HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) along with brisk walking inbetween those days.

As of right now I'm no longer trying to lose weight, I am trying to build mass AND get a thinner waistline. I am 5'6" and weigh in at 185lbs (up 15 from my lowest weight 18 months ago) but my waist size is a 34 and my chest is a 44. I have a somewhat of a "V" look but am looking to get it more "V"-ish. My ultimate goal is have a size 30 waist and a 46 chest. To do this I have to be careful of how much cardio I actually do, too much and my muscles will be eaten away by my body and too little I will get "tubby". I consume anywhere from 2500-3000 calories/day and of that get in protein equal to my weight in grams. A 185 grams of protein/day is a hell of a lot of chicken breast, tuna and flank steak to consume so I drink two 26g protein shakes/day to help.

Here's a sample of what I current would eat in a day (not always the case):
~Wake-up
Apple
Protein shake
L-Glutamine (a supplement that helps to stop the acid secreeting from my muscles that tells my body they are sore)

~Workout: 4:30 am - 6:00

~Breakfast
A serving and a half of cooked oatmeal (not the instant kind)
Four Scrambled Eggs (3 egg whites and 1 whole egg and YES, my chorlesterol is low)

~Mid-Morning Snack
Protein Shake (w/L-Glutamine)
Piece of Fruit

~Lunch
8-10 oz Chicken Breast (baked only)
2 cups of tossed salad w/low cal dressing)
1 slice of whole wheat bread

~Mid-Afternoon Snack
Low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese

~Dinner
8-10 oz Flank Steak (from the underbelly of the cow which is the best part to eat because of how lean it is, but kinda tough to eat)
Salad
2 slices of whole wheat bread

~Night time snack
Either another Protein Shake or Yogurt and Cottage Cheese

Throughout the day I TRY to drink about a half a gallon of water, but this is tough to do since I hate to drink liquids.

Oh my, did I answer the question at hand? :eek: