Lorwyn Previews

T

train

The way the article was worded...
Oversoul said:
The way Train's post was worded or the way the article was worded?
Now that, I think is way too strong for blue...

I'm used to the countering and utility - but getting 2 out of 4 choices, with a relative cost of 2 per?... only 1 card?!...

That is some serious potential...

I wonder if the other colors get one as powerful...

Red - Destroy target land (or nonbasic) and deal 3 (2) dmg to creature or player; or target creature gains haste or target creature cannot block this turn..

If not - bring back Boil...

E

EricBess

train said:
On the rings of brighthearth, he ends with sleeve up your stifles... think he doesn't realize that stifle wouldn't stop you from resolving either the original or copy?
No, but it would counter the ring's triggered ability. You would have to play stifle before you knew whether they were planning on paying the 2 mana, though.

T

train

I like... I think it is time comething gave Juam a run for his money!...

Seriously though, with possible dual lands, and easy beef to pump up toughness... this could get really rough, really fast...

He can easily be dropped second turn, and maybe hasted, bu definiteley giant-growthed once or twice the third turn...

B

BigBlue

Our little friend Parapet would be nice... Or the Green one that allows your creatures to block fliers...

N

Notepad

Gnarls Barkley there seems WAY too overpowered. Thanks to dual availability within the set, the three-color "drawback" isn't much, especially when you get a 5/5 for 3!!! I hope I open one of those, but I also see myself hating it. It gets downright abusive combined with other things (That 3W Kami of the Old Stone, in the main set, a 1/7...yea, 7/7 for 3W! as just one example). Hard to kill being black, too.

I actually kinda like Cryptic Command. As long as every color gets as good a Command, then this should be a decent trendsetter. I'm dying to see R and W now, and hope G doesn't get hosed in the cycle as it tends to.

N

Nightstalkers

Finally they pop the cork on the tree...

"We shall no longer be known as those "freakin' tree hugging hippies," but "those freakin' beat stick hugging jerks"!" -Signed, The Elves

And because nobody would care... the popular psychotic strategy idea would be to drop a Battlewand Oak into play early, drop Mr. Doran, and then use Lignify to make 0/4s outta critters... and then you have at least one attacking 0/4 that is basically going to be lookin' like 4/4s and one pissed off Battlewand Oak that now gets to swing for 3+2x damage where x equals the number of Lignifys you dropped and your one land drop for the turn.

In other news.... Richard Garfield supports proper use of mathemamantics.

T

train

Nice to see on both cards... especially the elf discard ability...

E

EricBess

To be fair, I'm more of a Johnny than a Timmy, but I'm not really convinced that once you have a 6/6 creature, making him that much bigger is going to matter that much. This definitely seems to be a "win more" card to me. Cool and splashy, sure, but I don't see anyone playing it over Shivan Dragon, for example (obvious combos with Fling the possible exception)