Lin Sivvi

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, hey, hey, Magic Jackal touched on this is ...CPA! and the Dojo is starting to get updated again so...

It was noted that Lin Sivvi is basically a must-have for a rebel deck. It was also noted that some of its abilities seem a bit over-powered (non-tap to bring back rebels from graveyard, too high toughness for available Masque removal, a "cheap" recruit rebel ability). So the question is:

Should Lin Sivvi be banned from Masque format?

Maybe this should go in the voting forum but I thought discussing it first would be better here.

Me, I have no idea... never played with or against her.

S

Spaceman Spiff

No she shouldnt be banned there should be a legend for every HUGE creature type...

T

The Magic Jackal

I think she should definitely be banned in MBC. I just finished reading Slaughter House Five, so bear with me if I don't make any sense :)

One reason she is full of brokeness is because she is a rebel; It is only necessary to put one of her in a deck, and your gauaranteed to get her into play every game.

Her abbility to recruit without the cc+1 activaction cost makes her even more broken. This makes her the best recuiter. It also doen't have a set limit to the cc of the recruited creature.

Paying 3 mana to recycle your creatures is just insane. You don't even have to tap her to do it. This just results in even more abuse. Not only is this insane by itself, but if you have an asnod's altar in play it basically reduces the cost to 1 mana- I'll block with a sergant, sac it for 2 mana, and then pay 1 more and recycle. Even without the altar it is still a really broken abbility. With the altar in play, I have saved 6 rebels from a wrath of god.

The forth reason that she is broken is the fact that she is a rebel. This makes whoever gets her down first in a mirror match the winner. Even if it's not a mirror match, you don't really need more than one down, because your not going to attack with her.

The fifth and final reason that she is totally unfair is because she costs a measly 3 mana. 3 mana for a 1/3 regualar recriuter is a good card by itself. Throw in the fact that it can recycle rebels and recruits cheap, and you have the making of an incredibly broken card.

Here's is a proposed fix without totally destroying the card.

1WWW
Lin Sivvi-rebel
4 and tap: seach you libray for a rebel with converted mana cost 4 or less and put it into play.
4 and tap: put target rebel from your graveyard on the bottom of your library
2/3

This still maintains it's power but is no longer a tremendous treat on the board.

A

Apollo

Well, I agree that this new form is a much more balanced card. However, they won't completely change the makeup of a card with errata. Subtle wording changes they will do, but nothing so drastic as this.

I personally think that we should wait until Prophecy, because there will be few Masques block games played before then anyway. However, if nothing in Prophecy diminishes the power of rebels in general and Lin Sivvi in particular, then it needs to be banned. The makeup of the Pro Tour proved this. Basically, two decks have a chance in the environment because everything else loses to the Rebels. A season of pro tour qualifiers featuring nothing but rebels will drive hordes of people screaming from the game. I can picture myself trying to teach the game to a new player:

Me: Because there are so many cards, you can make an almost unlimited number of different decks.

Him/Her: OK, I'd like to try one of these tournaments. They sound cool.

Me: Alright, you'll have to use this rebel deck.

Him/Her: Why?

Me: It's the only one that stands a chance.

Him/Her: This is stupid (walks away in disgust).

Apollo

G

Gizmo

Paul Barclay (rulings netrep) is a friend of mine - he thought she should have cost WW4, which I think is harsh. In MBC she is a problem, no doubt, but block constructed is the format I understand best and I would not want to remove the best search engine from the set (it would be like removing Tinker from UBC, when they pulled Key instead).
I think the Rebel deck needs taming (maybe Prophecy will do so) but I wouldn`t want to take out Lin Sivvi to do it.

T

The Magic Jackal

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've heard through the grapevine that prophecy will boost up red's power. If this is true I think we can expect to see the return of sligh, which would crush rebel. It is also said that prophecy will bring back some old favorite cards. That's what they said about Urza's Destiny And i think we know how that turned out, cough, Yagmoth's Bargagin, cough. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'd probably agree to wait until Prophecy to see if there are "answers" there...

If not, maybe make her not a rebel? Just a legend? So you at least can't get her with other rebels...

<shooting my mouth off again...>

I

Istanbul

Pearled Unicorn = 2/2 = 2W.
Lin-Sivvi = 1/3 = 2W.
Add extra ability (search) - +1.
Add extra ability (revival) - +W.
End cost: 3WW.
Compensate for relative lack of size - -1.
Final cost: 2WW.

That's how much she SHOULD cost.