Life from the Loess [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The deck name is a geology pun, and not even a very good one. Anyway, last year I built a deck helmed by the old Hazezon, but that one sacrificed its own sand warrior tokens to make big plays. This time around, I'll probably be attacking with them. Also, I have a few ways to give one of my deserts to an opponent, then my commander can desertwalk in with impunity. Should be fun.

Commander:
1 Hazezon, Shaper of Sand

1 Abundance
1 Anger
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
1 Bala Ged Recovery
1 Bazaar of Baghdad
1 Bazaar Trader
1 Beast Within
1 Blackblade Reforged
1 Camel
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Command Tower
1 Constant Mists
1 Cradle of the Accursed
1 Crop Rotation
1 Desert
1 Desert Nomads
1 Desert of the Fervent
1 Desert of the Indomitable
1 Desert of the True
1 Divine Visitation
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
1 Dunes of the Dead
1 Elvish Reclaimer
1 Endless Sands
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Eternal Witness
1 Exploration
1 Forgotten Cave
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Gamble
1 Gauntlets of Chaos
1 Generous Gift
1 Genesis
1 Ghost Town
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Grasping Dunes
1 Harmless Offering
1 Hashep Oasis
1 Hostile Desert
1 Jetmir's Garden
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Knight of the Reliquary
1 Life from the Loam
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Lotus Vale
1 Manabond
1 Maze of Ith
1 Mina and Denn, Wildborn
1 Mox Diamond
1 Nahiri's Lithoforming
1 Obliterate
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Painted Bluffs
1 Plateau
1 Prosperous Partnership
1 Rampaging Baloths
1 Ramunap Ruins
1 Realms Uncharted
1 Regrowth
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savannah
1 Scapeshift
1 Scavenger Grounds
1 Scorched Ruins
1 Seasons Past
1 Secluded Steppe
1 Serra Ascendant
1 Shefet Dunes
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Spike Weaver
1 Spore Frog
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
1 Stomping Ground
1 Strip Mine
1 Summer Bloom
1 Sunscorched Desert
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Survivors' Encampment
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Sylvan Library
1 Sylvan Safekeeper
1 Taiga
1 Temple Garden
1 The Mending of Dominaria
1 Tireless Provisioner
1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Urza's Saga
1 Valakut Exploration
1 Vesuva
1 Wasteland
1 Wayward Swordtooth
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 World Shaper
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Wrath of God
1 Wrenn and Six
1 Zuran Orb

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Maybe I should rename this deck "I'm a Loesser, Baby, So Why Don't You Kill Me?" or something. I don't know. Only got one game in so far with this deck, and it was a disaster. I had a Sol Ring and got stuck on 4 lands. Should be plenty of mana, but the lands were Desert, Scavenger Grounds, Strip Mine, and Survivors' Encampment. So I had no access to colored mana. That's what I get for playing a deck full of desert lands. Well, hold on there. I kept my opening hand because I knew very well that just one colored mana would give me everything I needed. I had Dryad of the Ilysian Grove and Tireless Provisioner in-hand, so green mana would get me full access to my colors. I also had Enlightened Tutor, which could be used in a pinch if I only got white mana and no green. I'd have tutored up Chromatic Lantern and solved the problem on my next turn.

It didn't work out. I was a punching bag this game. Eventually, before I died, I managed to topdeck Painted Bluffs, which let me start actually casting spells. I used Prosperous Partnershipto make some treasures. I used Strip Mine to kill my own Desert and my commander to bring it back, then used Wrenn and Six to bring Wasteland back. I was on the cusp of having a proper engine going. And by that point, another player had Aetherflux Reservoir + Sensei's Divining Top + Bolas's Citadel. Thanks to Crop Rotation for Glacial Chasm, I was the only player to survive being shot with Aetherflux Reservoir. And then I had no means of making a comeback against that combo, so I died soon enough anyway.

Last edited:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Success! Kept and opening hand with Serra Ascendant, which gave me early board presence and some life. I had Command Tower as my only green source at first, but Life from the Loam turned that around. One opponent was building a deadly board state, and the rest of us had to work together to hold it in check. Constant Mists kept the table from being overrun by Tyranids, and the brand new player finished off the biggest threat. This left me with Glacial Chasm and Constant Mists to protect me against two opponents. One opponent was running a Phoenix Tribal deck helmed by Syrix, Carrier of the Flame. He was able to keep dishing out damage to my creatures, but this only slowed me down. He couldn't stop me. With Blackblade Reforged on my commander, Genesis in my graveyard to repeatedly bring back creatures with extra land drop abilities, and Divine Visitation to replace 1/1 sand warriors with 4/4 angels, I eventually took over the game. It got pretty drawn out, especially after the Magus Lucea Kane player was eliminated.

I just realized I've only actually piloted this deck twice. Felt like it was more than that. Oh well. Might not keep it around, now that it got to accomplish everything it was meant to.