Legacy Weapon (bi-weekly, since high school is on the homestretch)

• Thread starter Shiro, Time Devourer
  • Start date
I

Istanbul

Put "mise" on the chopping block.

A slang word with no obvious origin or basis, it could easily have been "grod" or "fleem".

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Ils l'ont (la ont) mise = French for "They put it."
Maybe that's where it came from.

L

Lotus Mox

IIRC it's coming from the saying "might as well (e.g. topdeck a morphling), am I right?" which was popular among magic players at some time. "might as well" was then somehow shorted to "mise well", and the rest is history.

T

theorgg

Put "sexy" on there as well-- It's cause me no end of embarassment when I slip into Magic slang-mode with Non-Magically-Inclined people.

Sexy- A card or deck that looks really good but really isn't worth the effort you put into it, e.g. Phrexian Negator.

G

Gerode

I've never liked "scrub" that much, it reminds me too much of that song...

T

theorgg

I just didn't like that "scrub" song.

The origin of "Scrub" was from Scrubland, the B/W dual land. People who played B/W at tourneys didn't do well, because their best color hosers would often kill the person who played them.

T

theorgg

Also, put in the sland "Some Toilet Paper" for STP-- It was a slang term popular in Missississippi, but it didn't catch on with the mainstream Magic players(sadly, it fits the card perfectly...)

Add it mainly because it was cool and wasn't picked up...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read any Magic articles recently so I don't know what slang is being used nowadays. Of those not mentioned, "barr-oken" comes to mind, but it's not that dumb, just... annoying. :)

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Legacy Weapon? With a four way tie? Wark that! I'm just gonna have to go for Apocalypse, and I don't care if I have to discard my *actual* hand. It's worth it to get rid of these atrocities:

"Scrub"
"Mise"
"STP"
"Barroken"

http://wizardworld.com/dbimages/MG/MG1019/MG26274.jpg

Apocalypse cloaked guy: I can't TAKE this ear-bleeding anymore!!!!!

BTW: I always thought 'beatstick' was pretty inane.

T

Tabasco

I've been whompped any a time and the word "OWNAGE" still rings in my head

ow, I think I better lie down