Last minute speculation on bannings...

M

Mr_Pestilence

Here we are on the eve of another bannings/restrictions announcement. Whadda ya think?

I think type 2 is safe, with the possible exception of Cranial Plating.

In Type I, I think Mishra's Workshop could be re-restricted, along w/ Bazaar of Baghdad.

In a totally unexpected move, Fork is unrestricted, and Beebles will have the 4-per-deck restriction removed, unleashing the power of the Beeble unto our quiet little village.

E

Exaulted_Leader

If Workshop gets restricted, I'll do nothing but spit froth and bile on Starcitygames. They'll RUIN the fun everyone's having with Vintage (kinda like how they ruined everyone's fun in Standard by banning Skullclamp. Not 'healthy' for the environment? What's unhealthy about a readily available card that EVERYONE was having a blast using (rather than just a few particular archetypes)?)

'I know, let's throw the entire T1 scene to mono blue. We're awesome!'

There was also talk of Goblin Welder, Survival of the Fittest and Metal Worker - but if this stuff heads for the list, I think heads might roll. There's no justification for it.

Bazaar of Baghdad!? Since when was the last time this good oldie ever had a huge impact on the Vintage scene? It makes Madness work marvelously (being the key card for 'Bombs over Baghdad'), but Madness lost it's potency some time ago.

If this stuff gets put on the list, get ready to see cards like Force of Will and Standstill follow suit in the next update (y'know, when Fish runs ramapantly all over the format because there's no Workshop Aggro to stop it). After that, get ready for T1 to be just like Extended or Standard - a whole lot 'not fun' to play.

This is why I didn't like the idea of sanctioned tournaments starting-up againwith Vintage. The DCI likes to ruin formats that start gaining popularity.

I like how the DCI tries to justify their restrictions these days. 'Oath of Druids had too large an influence on the 1.X scene.' And Counterspell didn't? What about Psychatog? The only cards that don't influence a format are cards like 'Nourish', 'Common Cause' and 'Healing Salve'. Why? Because they suck.

If anything, I'd like to see a few cards come off of the banned/restricted lists. Nothing is clearly a dominatant force in any format right now, as the recent GenCon tournament clearly demonstrates for Vintage in particular. (look at how diverse the top 8 contenders were. And with very little combo!)

My opinions of R&Ds decision-making process aside, here's what I think will nevertheless appear on the new restricted list for T1:

- Goblin Welder
- Mishra's Workshop
- Survival of the Fittest
- Null Rod
- Crucible of Worlds
- Mindslaver
- Metalworker

Once again, I don't want any of these banned (look at the friggin' results! Workshop was in only 3 of the decks in the top 8 at GenCon! Welder was in considerably more, but for God's sake - it's a far cry from anywhere near broken! How hard is it to pack an answer for a 1/1 Goblin!?) - it's just what I predict will happen.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ha! Earthcraft is unrestricted. Anyway, sad to see the lists separated. I know a lot of people were pushing for it, but I don't want to memorize both lists. That's the end of 1.5 play for me...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mr.P: You should have posted this earlier, so there'd be more discussion before the list came out :)

I guess the only weird one is Fork since it seems pretty powerful for just 2 mana, but maybe that's also because I'm used to being it on the list for so long.

Weird or coincidence that Earthcraft became unrestricted just when we were talking about it in Decks :)

What was Doomsday original reasoning for being restricted?

Separating the lists does make it harder to keep track, but then, it basically creates a "new" environment which I think Extended was intended for originally but got away from once Extended started dropping sets. And now you can play with some multiples of cards that are restricted in Vintage (and some not since some apparently got banned without being on the Vintage restricted list).

J

JSexton

Originally posted by Spiderman

What was Doomsday original reasoning for being restricted?

Separating the lists does make it harder to keep track, but then, it basically creates a "new" environment which I think Extended was intended for originally but got away from once Extended started dropping sets. And now you can play with some multiples of cards that are restricted in Vintage (and some not since some apparently got banned without being on the Vintage restricted list).
Doomsday sets up infinite mana combos. The old way was to Doomsday up a library of TimeTwister, Black Lotus, Ancestral, and some other cards which escape me (plus having two more in hand) and casting a billion Twisters. Nowadays, you can just put up Ancestral, Lotus, Salvagers, Pyrite Spellbomb, or Ancestral, Grim Monolith, Power Artifact, Stroke, or whatever combo you want.

At any rate, can you believe that next September, Extended will only be Invasion on? Yikes. I remember when duals were legal in Extended. 1.5 becoming the new Extended means we will very likely see it used for Pro Tours as soon as the banned list gets worked on for a while.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So what does the ManaDrain crew think of the new banning announcement? Good, bad, what was WOTC thinking? :)

T

train

For any blue cards they unleashed - they were smoking crack...

I like earthcraft though...

:D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry, but I've had a change of heart...

The new format is great...

After actually taking a good look at the list, the expensive brokenness is almost all banned. This is seriously a budget format, especially for those of you with dual lands (not me). Although some great casual card are banned (like Oath, unfortunately) the format is still high-powered, just not as expensive as Type 1 or the old 1.5...

And it's so close to what I've already been playing in casual games...

I think this should be the #1 format for casual players. No rotations, we get to use our old cards, few ridiculously expensive cards...

I hope it really catches on.