Land, or Lack Of

G

Goku

I've been trying to come out of my cave more often these days, so if I seem uninformed, please bear with me.

Anyway, I've been hearing rumors about there not being any more tournament packs in Magic. Now, if this is true, this makes me wonder about how land will be released. Will there start being one land in each booster, as there was in 7th? Will land packs start to be sold? And will land be higher quality, such as the Euro-lands, now that there will be much less of it, assuming that the rumors are true?

Input on this would be greaty appreciated.

H

Hetemti

There's lands in "Advanced" boosters.

If that's not good enough, just some of the f'n useless commons you get with the "Advanced" (or "Expert", if you so dare) boosters.

Then, at least those cards will get some use.

L

Lotus Mox

I think Expert level sets will still have Tornament packs.
The only sets which won't have them are advanced sets because noone plays Sealed deck with 7th ed. anyway (if you really want to you can use 3 Boosters)

G

Gizmo

If you lose starter packs you lose:
1) the only way for new players to start playing.
2) sealed deck tournaments

meaning
1a) nobody can play the game if they don`t already
2a) tournaments switch to booster draft, which takes a zillion extra judges to run.

So I think it`s unlikely on both counts. If you cut 7th Ed starters how do people start to play the game? Get real.

R

rkoelsch

I think this is their marketing strategy. For the basic set they have eliminated tournament packs. They have a starter kit and precon decks for each color. There is a land in every booster pack.
For the expert sets, I think they will continue to print tournament packs because this is where the sealed events are run.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But for those even more uninformed :p, what are "tournament packs"? Boosters with land? Are they 15 cards or more?

R

rkoelsch

Tournament packs are 75 card decks that have random cards I think the distribution is 3 rares, 10 uncommon,26 or 27 land and the rest commons. I was pretty sure it was 5 of each land type and 2 had 6. But they made tournament packs for 7th because I played in a sealed tournament with them. so my theory is probably all wrong. Nevermind. :rolleyes:

L

LlanowarGoblin

They still have Tournament Packs for Invasion. And will have them for Oddessy as well.

rkoelsch, you were very close in your description. There are 30 lands (6 of each). Otherwise I think your description was accurate.

Spidey, the only boosters with lands so far is 7th edition. These are still 15 cards (1 rare, 3 uncommon, 1 land and 10 commons)

Z

Zadok001

Spidey: Tourney pack = Starter Deck

:)

Personally, while I don't buy them and therefore understand why they would be cut, I hope WotC isn't foolish enough to stop making them altogether. There should ALWAYS be tourney packs for the big set of every block. PLEASE. Don't make all the newbies play PreCons...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't Starter decks used to be 60 cards? Are all they're doing is packing in more land to make it 75 or something?

And it would be a shame to get rid of them, although because of their Starter Kits elsewhere, I guess no one's buying them...

H

Hetemti

According to the last time I saw a press release for Odessy, it said Boosters, fat packs, and precons. It said nothing about Tournament decks.

(Please don't call them "Starters"...Starter is a castrated form of Portal. And yes, they were upped from 60 to 75 cards.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
But didn't "Starter" predate Portal? I thought that's what they were called when I bought my first 60 card deck of Revised... :confused:

H

Hetemti

Yes...but the word "Starter" is corrupted. Hence, a word with the proper connotation must be used. That, and they officially changed it when they upped them to 75 cards.

I

Istanbul

Tournament packs used to be called starter packs.
I STRONGLY doubt they're going anywhere.

L

Lotus Mox

I know it's hard to spell, but the next set is called ODYSSEY not oddessy ;)

L

LlanowarGoblin

There will be tournament packs for Odyssy. Yes they used to be called Starter decks and they did have just 60 cards back then. A tournament pack is the equivelent of 3 boosters plus 30 land. When they began labeling Starter, Advanced and Expert they started calling them Tournament packs.

G

Goku

I really do hope that they don't remove tournament packs. If they did, it would radically change the game for everyone.

Although I primarily work with boosters, it's only because I generally don't have more than 3 bucks extra cash on me. I like tournament packs better, really- not that it matters, though.