Kokusho, the Evening Star

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Kokusho, the Evening Star

Anyone thought about pairing this with Sneak Attack (or another easy way to get him out)? He looks like he can clean house easy in an MP game if you can recur him continually in the same turn (saccing is no problem, Goblin Bombardment or Altar of Dementia are already in my Sneak deck)

M

Mikeymike

Man, this thing is scary in MP play. Thankfully no one in our groups has gotten their hands on them...b/c they are so hard to get.

Recurring Nightmare breaks the hell out of this guy. It also allows you loop 1 Kokusho for another, since the 'sac' is part of the cost of the effect. It can end the game almost immediately.

Goblin Bombardment paired with Dance of the Dead (or Corpse Dance) is also a bit frightening.

---

Regarding Sneak, I have no doubt that he'll work well. What support color are your running for Sneak? Teamed up with black for something like Oath of Ghouls (and great but dirt cheap Exodus rare) can get dirrty.

J

jorael

The card is regularly played in our group and even without any comboing it is nasty. It always result in a massive life shift.

The combo you propose is very effective. Prepare yourself for some not too friendly looking opponents, however....

:rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know. I'd only play it once. Fortunately, I have a reputation of "getting confused" with my own Sneak Deck, so even though they know it's my Sneak deck, they leave me alone at first.

I can't remember what I have for support, it's been so long since I've played it. I think either green or black or both (I actually have that other black enchantment (if you have 4 creatures in the graveyard, return one to your hand during upkeep) instead of Oath of Ghouls. I think I have green also for Genesis and the recurring Treefolk. I'll have to look at it 'cause it's been so long.

R

Reverend Love

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Man, this thing is scary in MP play. Thankfully no one in our groups has gotten their hands on them...b/c they are so hard to get.
This is reason I haven't built my sneakohsarius yet. I'm got 2 Kokushos, but just can't seem to nab the last 2.

I've already got the whole deck designed too!

Using Dragon Mages, Bladewing the Risen and Kokushos to bring the pain.

C

Captain Caveman

Mikeymike is dead on about the Recurring Nightmare thingy.

I added Kokusho to my MP Rec/Sur and it was a lot of fun. Of course, Rec/Sur is not very original but I enjoyed playing it once in awhile. I sold the Duals so the land mix would be different but you get the idea.

Caveman's MP Rec/Sur

4 Survival of the Fittest
2 Recurring Nightmare
1 Oversold Cemetery
1 Festering Evil
2 Goblin Bombardment
4 Wall of Roots
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Ashen Ghoul
1 Spike Weaver
1 Squee, Goblin Naboo
1 Uktabi Orang
1 Monk Idealist
1 Spike Feeder
1 False Prophet
4 Academy Rector
1 Ghitu Slinger
1 Kroviken Horror
4 Savannah
3 Forest
4 Scrubland
4 Bayou
2 Phyrexian Tower
3 City of Brass
3 Tiaga

Newer cards that were in the deck:
1 Night Dealings(this plus festering evil = fun)
1 Keiga, the Tide Star
1 Kami of Ancient Law
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star

R

Reverend Love

Hey Captain interested in trading a ton of MTGO cards for your two paper Kokusho's?

Ferret

Staff member
Oh yeah, I can think of some sick things that could happen w/ this card. In my old group it would probably receive a few groans, but we'd adapt - that's where cards that remove other cards from the graveyard come in handy (Tormod's Crypt, anyone?). If someone built a deck around getting him in and out of the gy that would be okay, but if they tried to do it four times in one turn, I think they would be in for one heck of a beating (real one, not in game).

-Ferret

"Another good reason to hold onto a Swords to Plowshares"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I'd only do it once a night, if I ever manage to do it. It does just seem like cheese in a casual game...

But it's really no difference from other multicard combos that will win on the next turn (like that one where you win if you have 20+ creatures in your graveyard at upkeep).

T

Tabasco

I have seen an Extended Tourney deck that my friend scott made that plays Dragonstorm and fetches 4 Kokushos to kill instantly....It uses seething songs and the like.

It works because each Kokusho kills the next one that comes into play....(K1..K2 both die lose 10, gain 10.....K3..K4....etc.) its a fun deck to watch