KKK Draft

N

NorrYtt

So what does everyone think of KKK/CoKCoKCoK draft? This is solely based on the commons, so keep that in mind.

In triple 5th Dawn, the best draft deck to me was Myr Servitor/Cranial Plating/Trinket Mage (I actually Grinding Stationed someone this way). Another good strat was to hoard the Blind Creepers.

From what I can tell at MtGNews.com, there seems to very few chaff cards. You know, those 3W give a guy +0/+5 until end of turn. It seems like there's tons of utility creatures everywhere in the 1/1 2/2 range. The "chaff" cards seem like the occasional six mana 3/3, the green lifegain spell.

To me, it seems like taking all the Glacial Rays (1R Splice for 1R Shock) and that Splicing Infest is good since there's a slew of */2's. Red also has a new Carbonize and possibly a Tim in the common slot. Remember that lots of creatures are "smaller" than usual because of Bushido, and Red can capitalize on this with damage outside of the combat phase.

Black also sports Rend Flesh and Rend Spirit in the common slot, as well as a common Death Grasp that hits only creatures.

All the good Splice spells are spread pretty evenly amongst the colors. The Shelter and Giant Growth are less powerful because you have to play them at a specific time, so it's harder to Splice them effectively than say Glacial Ray.

The green commons look terrible. There's some ineffectual Forestwalking tricks, and even the large guys are 4/4's. It may be possible to draft the new Journey of Discovery, the 1/1 mana filterer, and the stellar Rampant Growth on legs + mana accel as a basis for something like a 3 color Splice deck.

I'm really thinking Glacial Ray is going to be stellar. Imagine having 2 Glacial Rays, so on turn 4 you play one and splice the other getting an instant speed Swelter, killing your opponent's 2 and 3 drops. Then again, maybe KKK is all about huge Legend and Dragon bombs that Glacial Ray does nothing against.

I

Istanbul

I suspect that in a KKK draft, no one will be playing black.

M

Mikeymike

Ba-dum-bump!

I think everyone is going to be fighting for Spirits for good reason, they interact with the majority of the best spells in the set.

It appears there are a lot of Spirits with Soulshift, which in draft should be a huge ability (anytime a creature gets double duty in draft it is good). Secondly there are many that have trigger effects off of Arcane spells being cast, so I expect a lot of combat tricks with Instant-arcanes that boost P/T, or grant First-strike, etc.

I'm kind of liking white. I has some solid common control cards like Kitsune Diviner/Healer, and Cage of Hands, along with some solid beaters. Splashing a second color for Arcane spells would look to be the way to go though.