Kamigawa

L

Lotus Mox

Kamigawa

Looks interesting, from the first glances I think it looks better than Mirrodin.
But you always have to wait for the set to come out to really judge it's style.

T

train

One of those is a legend...

Looks a little too yu-gi-oh in my personal opinion...:rolleyes:

N

Nightstalkers

No comment.

But nice set so far... I do have a few gripes about the basic theme...

R

Reverend Love

Until I know more I'll reserve judegment. I'm always down for WoTC trying new things..within reason.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like everyone else said, I have to wait and see. There's not much to go on from the announcement.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

it gives me a Legend of the Five Rings kinda feeling.

N

Notepad

So its a Japanese-themed set that has snake people and a general theme of beings against their own god?

Seems cool so far. YGO, it is not (anybody saying so should go look at that horrible game):mad: . L5R, however...there may be some good ground for just calling it L5R2. :(

It seems that in the MTGNews forum, Kamigawa means "God River" but that is a translation by one of their forum posters.

I hope this set does good. I hope things all turn out cool with it. But to second a MTGN forum poster, I hope we don't see "Creature--Orochibito" and rather "Creature--Snake Warrior" or something. Funny, will this be a place where they reprint that awful 3/3 snake for 2B that does 3 damage to you? I hope not!

A lot better looking than the scifi-wannabe Mirrodin, which turned out not scifi at all. (Anybody remember how all those early artworks looked so scifi, then what we ended up with was just normal fantasy with metal spikes out everyone's butt and head?)

M

Mr_Pestilence

Maybe this will be the Japanese version of Portal 3 - Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. I liked the concept of Portal 3, and couldn't understand why it wasn't meant for sale in America.

Maybe they'll reprint Zodiac Dragon? In foil? Please?

And while they're at it, how about reprinting Pestilence in some future set? I've got over 1,000 Pestilence cards, and nary a single foil.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

If they put in Samurai and Ninjas, they get my vote.

And no, it's not yugioh-ish. More like eastern art/L5R-ish. Onslaught was more yugioh due to teh big creatures and all the mechanic knockoffs. Actually, that was pretty funny.

T

train

The morph mechanic was in Magic first - even the dueling portion of it with Arena...

I think it looks yu-gi-oh ish, but I agree now that it has been mentioned that it looks L5Rish more than Yu-gi-oh...

D

DeathMaster666

Well Mirrodin looked bad when we first heard about it, but its been a fun block so far.

R

Rooser

Train, blue doesn't do nothing in type 2 anymore. Not since ravager affinity replaced blue-x affinity.

N

Notepad

You mean... "Acrbound" stomped out blue from the tourney scene? I guess we owe HOUTS our thanks, then, for his mighty savior has saved us all!!! ;) :D

T

train

Ravager decks are running seats, mana leaks, and other blue counterparts...:rolleyes:

N

Notepad

Anybody remember the concept artwork for Mirrodin before it came out? I looked up the article at Star City, and it exists in the archive, but for some reason all the pictures have been deleted from their directories. (Conspiracy!!!)

I remembering seeing a techno-land sort of art collection there. Things looked far, far more "robots and spaceships" than they turned out. There was even this sketch of a vampire with feeding tools on its hands that fed blood through tubes up to the mouth. Very scifi looking. It never came to fruition, it seems.

Same with the "battle form" and such for Glissa. They showed this very obvious plan to have her transform into totally different modes, ala Power Rangers or Digimon. Players wondered if a new morph would appear. Nothing became of that.

So I wonder: Will this cool Japanese theme turn out to be just as weak compared to the concept artwork? I hope not...

(I know I said this essentially earlier, but I wanted to restate it with actual examples)