Kamigawa: Rockin' Out?

• Thread starter Exaulted_Leader
  • Start date
R

Rooser

No, you guys, the colored mana symbol thing is referring to the fact that since the frame change, the mana symbols in the text box have not been colored. Look at the spellbombs, look at the talismans, heck, look at seething song. Them mana symbols are colorless! Obviously it wasn't noticed by everybody, but I thought it was a terrible idea and I'm glad they are undoing it. (say: un-doyng).

Oh, and cranial extraction isn't the mono-black lobotomy. That gives lobotomy too much credit. This thing is BETTER than lobotomy, and it only requires one colored mana! If you already know what card is a big threat to you, you can just name it and get it over with. With Lobotomy you had to have been lucky enough to catch them with their win cards in hand - which is harder than it sounds because you have no protection against topdecks. Of course this card is more useful in competetive tourneys where you can guess at what your opponent is doing - especially in games 2 and 3 - but it's still awesome elsewhere. And what makes it rock the most is that it will still take the card you name out of their hand if it's there.

I guess Lobotomy is still good in casual though - you don't always know what your opponent is playing and with Lobotomy you are virtually garaunteed to get something decent, whereas with Extraction you might just name a card they don't have. Still in a competetive match, Cranial Extraction is just so much more powerful.

I just can't wait for the control mirrors in T2 where one player plays this and names Cranial Extraction.

R

Reverend Love

So they're going to fix those really bland mana symbols in the text box? Great! It really struck me as some profits driven decision to cut color from mana symbols. Good to see WoTC doing in my opinion the right thing.

Even if the set mechanically sucks I'll probably enjoy it. I'm a sucker for legends and epic stories. Hopefully CoK doesn't let us down…nothing would be worse then seeing all these legends associated with a flaccid story.

.....I just can't stop.... :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't have any of the new cards, so I don't know what you mean...

The mana symbols were colorless?

R

Reverend Love

Only the mana symbols within the textbox. The mana symbols at the top right were kept the same. It was pretty oink I thought.

Here's an example with your favorite card, Door to Nothingness

I

Istanbul

There is a new red legend.
He is Wood Elemental.
He is rare.
You may pull him in a booster pack.
If you do so, some amount of crying is normal.

There is a new artifact.
It causes only one artifact to untap during each player's untap step.
Affinity can suck my left nut. :D

N

Notepad

Nice that they're brining back the colored mana symbols. They were sorely missed. Much like the ability to tell artifacts from white cards... *snicker*

Oh, and the set isn't looking broken. Nothing like Mirrodin so far. It all seems rather tame and combat-psychotic (meaning you're supposed to fight, but a lot will mess it up). Aside from a few key arcane spells, it looks like the CoK-block addition to Standard will really be Mirrodin block. Yeah, get ready for more Tooth and Nail, and more Affinity. Things just aren't too groundbreaking here.

T

train

It's got some beef - glad to see white getting some cool buzz cards...

C

Captain Caveman

Does anyone know where I can find the Pre-con decklist?

I finally hit the, almost no(very low), funds for magic cards point.

So I'll probably buy a pre-con and build around it.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Oversoul
A new Wood Elemental? Do tell...
Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked - 3R
Legendary Creature - Demon Spirit
As Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked comes into play, sacrifice any number of permanents. Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked comes into play with that many +1/+1 counters on it.
Their dominion over dark and destructive forces twisted the oni into beings of pure malevolence.
0/0
186/306
Rare

In case you don't 'get it', this means that if you want a Hill Giant...3R for a 3/3...you have to sacrifice three permanents as he comes into play.

AWFUL.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, it's a LOT better than Wood Elemental, since you can at least sacrifice tapped lands. You can sacrifice other permanents too. Tokens are the ones that come to mind. It's still really bad though, so no point in trying to make it work in some way unless you're Train...

I

Istanbul

Yes. It's VERY slightly less crapulent than Wood Elemental.
It's also still strictly inferior...by a WIDE MARGIN...to Hill Giant.
Useful alongside...um...Grave Pact, maybe...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, that's one way to put it. A rare that's worse than Hill Giant...

It makes me glad that I'm not buying boosters anymore. It also reminds me of that stupid Sheltering Prayers back in the day. :mad:

I

Istanbul

Waaaaaait a minute. If we're thinking of the same card, Sheltering Prayers is pretty good SB tech vs. LD.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If by "pretty good" you mean "better than nothing" I suppose so...

It is limited by several factors though...

It is white. It only protects basic lands. It only prevents the lands from being targeted. And it only works as long as you have three or fewer lands.

What format would you be sideboarding it for? And what deck is so worried about LD that it is dedicating sideboard slots to a card that is absolutely dead in ANY other matchup?

I won't say Sheltering Prayers is on the same level as Wintermoon Mesa, but I would've been just as happy with either card in my booster pack...

I

Istanbul

1) At one mana, LD can never lock you down to the point where you can't play it. Even Sacred Ground is 2 mana.
2) I know there've been times when I wished I had anti-LD measures in my sideboard.
3) Yes, it's limited to three lands. But honestly, how many lands does, say, a white weenie deck need?

M

Mikeymike

Nowadays Sheltering Prayers would likely be attached to a 2/1 creature for WW, or some such.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
WW doesn't have a bad matchup against LD already, so I don't know why it would dedicate sideboard slots to a card that is absolutely useless in any other match.

I'm willing to accept that it MAY go well in the sideboard of some sort of white deck that does have a bad matchup against LD. It would probably be perfect for that. But that's such a situational use...