JuzamODerm

Z

Zero

Juzám Djinn
2BB, Summon Djinn 5/5, Arabian Nights Rare
Juzám Djinn does 1 damage to you during your upkeep.
Illus. Mark Tedin

or

Blastoderm
2GG, Creature — Beast 5/5, Nemesis Common
Fading 3 (This creature comes into play with three fade counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a fade counter from it. If you can’t, sacrifice it.) Blastoderm can’t be the target of spells or abilities.
Illus. Eric Peterson

Two questions:

A) Which card is better in gameplay?

B)Which card is better with all factors included (Art, flavor text, etc...)

What ya'll say?

Z

Zero

A) Juzam (Black acts as his un-targetablility)

B) Blastoderm (Way to be common!)

E

Elrond

A) Juzam because he stays around, and can't be terrored.

B) Juzam again, I just love the artwork.

H

Hetemti

Blastoderm is better.

Can't be terrored either.
Juzan can be...just need a Lace, or one of a billion color-change cards from Prophecy.
It's color has ways to give it trample...and pump it, too.
I have them.
It costs a little bit less.
Juzam picks the man up. Blastoderm eats the man, picks his house up, and eats his family.

D

Darsh

Blastoderm is better, think Pacifism on the Juzam, Juzam WILL kill you all by itself.

A

Apollo

First of all, Pacifism on the Djinn won't kill you all by itself. If you can't do something in 20 turns, you would've died anyway.

Juzam also has more sheer speed; Ritual makes it come out on the first or second turn, while green's conventional mana producers can't bring out Blasto before the third.

That thing about the Laces or color-changers letting them kill your Juzam is silly. If they're playing with those, you're gonna win anyway.

However, Juzam is used in type I. And most type 1 decks pack Swords to Plowshares. If you compare Juzam in type 1 to Blasto in type 2, then Blasto is better because it is a huge factor in its environment, while Juzam is much less.

If you consider them both in type 1, then the choice is easy: Negator. It's faster (comes out turn 1 with a Ritual even w/o Jewelry) and its drawback means little because direct damage and creatures in general aren't used much in type 1.

D

Deadman

I've TRIED to post my opinion in this section five times now, but my computer's been on the fritz.
Problems are solved, so it's time to give you my take on the situation:
In a basic comparison, we have:
Juzam Djinn: 2 generic and two of a colour; for a 5/5. It's black, so it can't be targeted by the majority of removal, but it deals you a point of damage every turn.
Blastoderm: 2 generic and two of a colour; for a 5/5 that can't be targeted by anything (this can be bad), but dies in three turns.
In a basic comparison, I'd say Blastoderm is better, but this must be taken deeper.
Juzam is black, thus goes into a black deck (go figure), this allows Dark Rituals, making him a viable turn two play, and plenty of creature removal to pave the way for a quick and brutal Juzam beat-down.
Blastoderm is green, which allows elves, thus gettinr you a very likeley turn three play. But, apart from that, most of green support lies in things like Giant Growth, and a lot of other creature pumpers. Blastoderm cannot be targeted by these, and so loses that support.
Overall, I would say Juzam is beter, but not by a great deal.
Blastoderm can fit into a lot of green decks, but you can build a better deck based on Juzam then Blasty.
Then I take one final thing into account, Blastoderm is some kinda weird fungus mammal, where as Juzam is a demonic looking djinn holding a human between thumb and forefingers.
Final vote, Juzam.
Not by a huge amount, but enough to make it count.

A

arhar

Blastoderm can't kill the opponent by itself, and Juzam very well can. And as for the coolness fact, Juzam is 1000000000 times cooler than Blastoderm. Don't tell me a dog with bubbles is cooler than a 100 foot demon who's picking up a little guy and about to eat him.." Ho-ho-ho...puny mortal, how dare you oppose me?!?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Having played with or against neither, I would say:

A. Beats the heck out of me
B. Juzam, just because it stays around longer.

D

DÛke

...he's 5/5 and he's Black. That's all I care about. The art? Well, Juzam looks cooler.

D

Darsh

I thought that the Djinn was uncommon, something about there being no rares in the set he was released in, I know I heard it somewhere.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
He's listed as U2 (uncommon 2), but I always forget if U2 means there could be 2 on a sheet or every 2 uncommon he could be printed.

And it's true, there were no "rares" from Arabian Nights; the breakdown was just U3, U2, C1 (for the mountain), C5, and C4.

T

The Destroyer

blastoderms pretty powerful and untargatability does'nt weaken it in the slightest green has alot of stuff that does'nt target(stampede driver for instance):D

but then i'm biased, consedering i'll probaly never get a juzam and i don't play black;)

S

Sleepy

blasty is a great card too but juzam is the best cause of the picture

M

Mikeymike

A) Juzam Djinn. He is resistant to black removal (and red burn can rarely do enough to him), He's in play for good with a measly upkeep, and he's out on turn 2 with a Dark Ritual (turn 1 with the broken Moxen which usually accompany his ugly mug).

Although the Blastoderm is untargetable, a blocker can stop him until he fades out. The same could be said for the Djinn, except he stays in play long enough for you to get the Terror or Snuff Out you were waiting for.

B)
1--Blastoderm gets the Rarity nod b/c he is one of the best commons ever, but the Juzam's rarity coupled with the fact that Arabian Nights cards are so difficult to find certainly do add to his mystique.
2--Juzam Djinn's artwork is SOOOOO much better that its not even a competition.

D

Duel

Juzam is all around better for 2 reasons:
1. he stays around. I don't know how many times I've just treated blastoderm like "sacrifice 3 1/1's". Juzam is different. It's big, so red has trouble, and black, to black has trouble.

2. Swamp, swamp, rituals Juzam. any questions?