Just not my week

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It probably depends how fast you'd be moving and if that's enough to escape the Earth's gravitational pull (at the least, I don't know if other factors may be involved).

M

Mikeymike

Stands for:
Casual Players Lack Attention :D

On something actually related to the topic, I'm also missing a Call of the Herd and a foil Overrun. In my best Bill Clinton: I feel your pain.

On the totally unrealed topic but related discussion. OK, I'll put reality in the crapper for a few minutes.

If the earth was to suddenly stop rotating, everything would shift to the east at a rate of 500 mph (the speed at which the earth rotates), horizontal to the surface of the earth - comparable how fast a bullet flies out of a .22. We would definitely not be thrown into space b/c we would not escape the earth's gravitational pull: gravity is dependent on an object's mass, not on its rotational speed and therefore it would remain constant. If anything earth's gravitional force should actually increase b/c its has stopped spinning (spinning objects want to throw their contents outward - like the swings or the gravitron at an amusement park) so when you do hit the ground you'll hit twice as hard.

However, you might survive if you work in the storage warehouse for a pillow manufacturer.

Sorry to ramble, but I actually miss my physics classes and I don't get to speak geek much (yes I fully realize I'm a dork - I play Magic don't I)

Z

Zadok001

There we go, Mikeymike has a velocity to back me up! :) Yah, 500 mph is no where close to Earth's escape velocity, so we'd stay put. We'd have some serious problems in short order, but we shouldn't end up as vacumned people-cicles.

T

terzarima

Well at least we wouldn't have to worry about El nino or La nina.

*Ademis blabs on aboot the Coriolis effect

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Mikeymike
What would kill us would be the eternal day/night on opposite sides of the planet causing drastic temperature changes, the massive tidal shifts, or the extreme weather - kind of like a 'choose your Apocalypse' type of thing.
Actually, Mikeymike, I agree with your statement that we would not be able to escape the earth's gravity. I was going to comment on this earlier, but didn't really feel like it (fingers were feeling a bit heavy that day...).

Anyway, assuming we survived the throw (or if it were a gradual slowdown), my opinion is that we would not die to drastic temperature changes, etc. I'm guessing that the fact that the earth was no longer spinning would give us the full impact of the earth's gravity and that we would probably be squished.

M

Mikeymike

I agree EB that earth's gravitational pull would increase, but I don't know if it would be enough to squash us where we stand, that would take an increase in grav-pull by about 20x (or 20g's) - that is an enormous change. I think at 10g's the average person will pass out, as blood can't defy gravity enough to make it from your heart to your brain. If anyone has any info regarding this, I'd love to see it. I'll see what I can come up with myself.

Quoting Fuzzy
What have I done????????
Congrats, you've created a tangent! :eek:

I

Istanbul

Discussion about missing cards turns into argument about the effects of the Earth's rotation ceasing.

God, I love the CPA. :D

T

theorgg

*theorgg imagines thousands of the Monty Python feet coming down on everyone after the gravity stops.

OOoooh..*SPLAT*

Z

Zadok001

"Congrats, you've created a tangent!"

That has so many great meanings in this discussion... :)

I do believe the centripetal forces being exerted by Earth's spin would be small enough to where the change wouldn't be TOO drastic. Maybe go to 2 or 2.5 g's. That would be enough to make us pretty darn slow, but not so much as to reduce us to quiverring blobs of jelly. I think the biggest difficulty would be the temperature changes. (Not including, of course, the massive terraforming of a 500 mph shove...)

F

fuzzy510

Originally posted by Istanbul
Discussion about missing cards turns into argument about the effects of the Earth's rotation ceasing.

God, I love the CPA. :D
I couldn't have said it any better myself, Isty. :D

R

rkoelsch

I don't want to discourage this conversation but I found my Meddling Mage. It was in the box I had pull the cards out of 2 times before. God I hate when they get stuck like that. Thanks for the concern. And also I think if the earth stopped spinning it would explore from the pressure of magma stopping.

E

EricBess

How can you worry about a Meddling Mage at a time like this???? We're all going to DIE!!!! (eventually) :D

Z

Zadok001

Yay! He found his Mage! Now I can talk about the Apocalypse without feeling guilty! :)

And I'm gonna go ahead and question the magma pressure statement, too. I don't believe earth's axial rotation does anything to keep the magma where it belongs.

M

Mikeymike

Let's so whose the first to pick up this easy reference.

Hmm, tough one. All the following is theoretical. Okay so we think gravitational forces are going to be stronger (2-2.5g's using Zadok's numbers which sound about right?) so in turn magma movement under the earth's crust would become more stagnant. I guess that would create increased pressure and volitility in certain hot spots while relieving pressure in other areas. Not only that, but that violent shift of the earth's contents would create even more problems. Stands to reason that this in turn would create sudden earthquakes and other volcanic activity in different parts of the globe. What a spectacular show that'd be, too bad we'd all be too busy being dead to enjoy it.

Okay I'll raise another life-threatening yet serious situation all of us should worry about:
What if the music industry elite decided to make drastic shift in popular (pop) music theory and strategy and gave us new hot pop-icons that we would be force fed at every arena possible: Yanni, Raffi, and John Tesh. What effect would this have on humanity?

F

fuzzy510

WHY DID IT HAVE TO COME TO THIS????????????????????

*Fuzzy, upset at himself, pull out his gun and shoots himself repeatedly in the head so that he dies.

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Mikeymike
Let's so whose the first to pick up this easy reference.
Can I have a SS if I get it. That's a real groaner...

Okay I'll raise another life-threatening yet serious situation all of us should worry about:
What if the music industry elite decided to make drastic shift in popular (pop) music theory and strategy and gave us new hot pop-icons that we would be force fed at every arena possible: Yanni, Raffi, and John Tesh. What effect would this have on humanity?
Ug... Now you have gone too far... I think I would prefer the earth rotation Apocalypse (you forgot Enya)...

M

Mikeymike

Sorry fuzzy, but I'm ok with it as long as I don't have to clean up the mess you left :p
Originally posted by EricBess
Can I have a SS if I get it. That's a real groaner...
Zoiks! I suppose its only fair.

All your base are belong to John Tesh.