Jeff Donais leaves WoTC...

T

train

As reported by MTG News:

-DCI Tournament Manager Jeff Donais has left Wizards of the Coast for a job heading up game development at Upper Deck.-

"After 6 rewarding years as a WOTC employee, I'm leaving for another tremendous job opportunity.

Approximately two weeks ago I accepted an exciting job offer from Upper Deck Entertainment in San Diego, California.

My last day at Wizards of the Coast is today (Friday) and I start at Upper Deck on Monday, July 28th.

Wizards is a truly amazing place to work and I was lucky enough to have one of the most amazing jobs anyone could ever ask for. I have zero complaints about WOTC. However, this opportunity at Upper Deck was too good to pass up.

I'll be working at Upper Deck Entertainment, the division that publishes their games. Although they only have a small portfolio of games now (Yugioh, the new Marvel TCG, Spongebob Squarepants and so on) they are committed to a tremendous amount of support for products in development right now and new products for the future. In addition, they are committed to a huge expansion in organized play support for their games.

My role as Director of the Game Development Group for Upper Deck Entertainment will be to spearhead the organized play and R&D efforts of the company and help create a structure that is the best the industry has ever seen. I have no doubt that this will happen in the years to come. The capital is there and very soon all of the necessary people will be there.

I will continue to judge events and write judge articles. I will also be available for DCI judge certification and training.

Applicants for my position are being interviewed. There are many good possibilities from internal candidates. No external resumes are being accepted. Whoever it is, I will work with them to make the transition is as smooth as possible. Depending on the experience of the person, they will probably have DCI Tournament Manager as one of their many jobs."

:( - Makes me very very sad...

Ferret

Staff member
Perhaps they could promote Jamie Wakefield or something...

-Ferret

"Casual tournaments? Wow!"

Ferret

Staff member
I'd love to, but it's clear on the other side of the country from me and it looks like they'd rather hire from within...

-Ferret

"Hmmm...Ferret, employee of WotC..."