January 25, 2022 B&R Announcement

Same shit different day. Not surprised by any of these changes. Standard will probably never go back to being a somewhat balanced format because of the way they just push cards these days, crowding out most other cards/decks. Esika's Chariot being a great example of this. Legacy still has all the same issues, Ragavan or no Ragavan. And Historic/Alchemy rebalancing? Creating a divide between paper and digital isn't a good idea but who the hell even wants to play Standard anyway?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I didn't really view Ragavan as a problem in Legacy. I'm annoyed that we keep getting the occasional ban in the format, but with no attempt at all made to bring some of the old banned stuff back in. WotC seems to be stuck in this mindset for Legacy that if the format ever becomes stale for few months, then something needs to be banned, and that nothing on the banned list can ever leave again. Earthcraft has been unnecessarily banned for the past 905 weeks, but really there's a lot more to it at this point. The latest batch of U/R decks would have seen Ragavan fare poorly against Deathrite Shaman, but the card was already banned. Wrenn and Six would have had a hard time reusing one's own fetchlands if a Deathrite Shaman was eating them, but Deathrite Shaman was already banned. Ragavan might have actually competed with Dreadhorde Arcanist and made things interesting, but Dreadhorde Arcanist was already banned. Zirda might have been a unique enabler for a combo deck even without the Companion issue, but remains banned. And with so many of these questionable recent additions to the list, it makes figuring out how the format would shake up and which old cards are safe that much harder to evaluate. I'm more than 99% confident that Earthcraft would be a safe unban. I'm reasonably convinced that Survival of the Fittest would be a safe unban. But what about something like Gush or Memory Jar? What about Sensei's Divining Top? The list should get actual curation, but it's being treated instead as pit to just throw cards into and never see them again.

Anyway, has anyone at the CPA even touched the "Alchemy" stuff they're pushing on Arena now? I've seen in a couple of other places that it's been critically panned, but I haven't bothered with it myself.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Anyway, has anyone at the CPA even touched the "Alchemy" stuff they're pushing on Arena now?
Maybe by accident. I mostly play draft & sealed, but I also do standard and historic games to get the daily achievements. I think one time I played an historic match against someone who was using an Alchemy card, but I could be wrong. There's also some Arena-specific cards that aren't Alchemy, so it might have been one of those. I just remembered being surprised that it was legal in the format, since it had one of those "this only works on a computer" mechanics.

Yeah, I didn't really view Ragavan as a problem in Legacy. I'm annoyed that we keep getting the occasional ban in the format, but with no attempt at all made to bring some of the old banned stuff back in. WotC seems to be stuck in this mindset for Legacy that if the format ever becomes stale for few months, then something needs to be banned, and that nothing on the banned list can ever leave again. Earthcraft has been unnecessarily banned for the past 905 weeks, but really there's a lot more to it at this point. The latest batch of U/R decks would have seen Ragavan fare poorly against Deathrite Shaman, but the card was already banned. Wrenn and Six would have had a hard time reusing one's own fetchlands if a Deathrite Shaman was eating them, but Deathrite Shaman was already banned. Ragavan might have actually competed with Dreadhorde Arcanist and made things interesting, but Dreadhorde Arcanist was already banned. Zirda might have been a unique enabler for a combo deck even without the Companion issue, but remains banned. And with so many of these questionable recent additions to the list, it makes figuring out how the format would shake up and which old cards are safe that much harder to evaluate. I'm more than 99% confident that Earthcraft would be a safe unban. I'm reasonably convinced that Survival of the Fittest would be a safe unban. But what about something like Gush or Memory Jar? What about Sensei's Divining Top? The list should get actual curation, but it's being treated instead as pit to just throw cards into and never see them again.

Anyway, has anyone at the CPA even touched the "Alchemy" stuff they're pushing on Arena now? I've seen in a couple of other places that it's been critically panned, but I haven't bothered with it myself.
100% agree. I think it would be interesting to see how these cards stack up against each other. Cards like Gush would be immensely exciting though I'd really like to get a bunch of the other, relatively weaker cards off the list first but if Gush comes off then stuff like Recruiter and Necro are obviously fair game too. I'm all for that! Zirda is not one of my first unbans since it is the worst part of Commander (im so skilled my commander is a combo card i always have access too) and bringing it back makes a new different combo deck is good in one sense but that card was possibly more broken than Lurrus was. Hard to say how it would work out now. Speaking of which Lurrus might be an interesting unban just because it's not free with cards like Murktide. And it might support all sorts of decks that aren't viable now but would be with Lurrus sort of like it's effect in Modern.

I think WotC is trying to preserve the status quo in Legacy because they have no idea what they're doing or don't care or maybe both. Or they think that the current state of things is fine because it's a "fair" deck that's on top... even though I the play patterns of Delver are sometimes more akin to prison decks.

Arena's economy is so bad I couldn't play Alchemy even if I wanted to. No Wildcard refunds when they buff/nerf cards is horrible.