January 15th, 2018 Banned/Restricted List Announcement

Discussion in 'CPA/WOTC Magic Issues' started by Oversoul, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Oversoul The Tentacled One

2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I don't want to go full rant-mode on this one. I'll save any commentary on the neglect of Legacy for the next time they leave all the junk on the list. And I don't play Standard. It also seems like no one here at the CPA plays much Standard, if any. I have a track record of not playing Standard. It'd be disingenuous of me to pretend that some recent development is at fault, that I would play Standard except it's too messed up. So if the format's not for me and never has been, I really shouldn't be one to cast judgment.

What I do find interesting, though, without saying that it's bad or good, is that with these bans and the ones last year, nearly all of the banned cards are unremarkable. Here, let's just list everything that was ever banned in Standard before 2017...

Amulet of Quoz
    Ancient Den
    Arcbound Ravager
    Balance
    Black Vise
    Channel
    Darksteel Citadel
    Disciple of the Vault
    Dream Halls
    Earthcraft
    Fluctuator
    Great Furnace
    Ivory Tower
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Jeweled Bird
    Land Tax
    Lotus Petal
    Memory Jar
    Mind Over Matter
    Mind Twist
    Rebirth
    Recurring Nightmare
    Seat of the Synod
    Skullclamp
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Strip Mine
    Tempest Efreet
    Time Spiral
    Timmerian Fiends
    Tolarian Academy
    Tree of Tales
    Windfall
    Vault of Whispers
    Zuran Orb

Looking at that list and dismissing the ante cards, which don't count, just about all of these cards are noteworthy as being cards that had significant impact on formats beyond Standard. Most of them were/are banned in other formats, and the ones that weren't ended up being demonstrable powerhouses, at least in their day. The only exception, from where I'm sitting, is Fluctuator. I've written about Fluctuator a fair bit. Actually, I might have written more about Fluctuator than any other human has. The ban was, more or less, a panic-ban from the hectic circumstances caused by Urza's Saga. I maintain that it was a mistake in hindsight, but I can see why they were being aggressive about bans at the time. But the others, all of them, are what I think are famous as "good cards." Some of them are still powerful in some format, such as Lotus Petal. Others are no longer especially important, but were notorious for years, like Zuran Orb.

In contrast, these are the cards that have been banned in Standard since the start of 2017...

Aetherworks Marvel
    Attune with Aether
    Emrakul, the Promised End
    Felidar Guardian
    Rampaging Ferocidon
    Ramunap Ruins
    Reflector Mage
    Rogue Refiner
    Smuggler's Copter

It's not that they're bad. In fact, Smuggler's Copter and Reflector Mage, as niche cards, are really pretty good. But it still seems like there's a noticeable gulf between the Standard bans in the last year and the ones from the entire history of the game before that. Most of these cards are simply unremarkable.
  3. Psarketos Metacompositional Theoretician

I play some Standard. My zero nonland permanents Approach deck kept Temur energy in check for the most part, which left interesting branchings out in the local environment to settle on Vampire tribal. Neither I nor anyone else in the group have formulated a convincing answer to the local flavor of it, and that challenge looks slightly more daunting after the latest bannings.
    Oversoul likes this.