Jane Fonda

A

arhar

This is what Jane Fonda had to say about Sep 11 tragedy:

"Hanoi Jane" Fonda advised Americans Thursday to "try to understand the underlying causes" of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon that killed 6,700 of her fellow citizens, adding that it would be a mistake for the U.S. to retaliate militarily against the perpetrators.
Discussing the attacks on an Atlanta radio station, the former actress and ex-wife of CNN chief Ted Turner said she was concerned about the emotional reaction to the disaster.
"It's hard to be hopeful, frankly," she told Mix 105.7 FM. "What concerns me very much is the saber rattling and the calls for vengeance."
"I think it has to be dealt with as a crime," the one-time exercise guru counseled. "And when there's a crime, you don't bomb a city or a country - you use very, very clever intelligence, undercover-type operations to get the criminals and punish them, and then you try to understand the underlying causes of the crime."
Fonda's comments have not been reported outside Atlanta, where they caused an uproar on talk radio station WGST on Friday.
She earned the moniker "Hanoi Jane" in 1971 at the height of the Vietnam War, when she traveled to North Vietnam, donned a Communist military uniform and pretended to shoot down U.S. pilots while manning an anti-aircraft gun in Hanoi.

And this is a story from one of the war prisoners in Vietnam:

"There are few things I have strong visceral reactions to, but Jane Fonda's participation in what I believe to be blatant treason, is one of them. Part of my conviction comes from exposure to those who suffered her attentions.

"In 1978, the Commandant of the USAF Survival School, a colonel, was a former POW in Ho Lo Prison -- the Hanoi Hilton. Dragged from a stinking cesspit of a cell, cleaned, fed, and dressed in clean PJs, he was ordered to describe for a visiting American 'Peace Activist' the 'lenient and humane treatment' he'd received. He spat at Ms. Fonda, was clubbed, and dragged away. During the subsequent beating, he fell forward upon the camp Commandant's feet, accidentally pulling the man's shoe off -- which sent that officer berserk.

"In '78, the AF colonel still suffered from double vision -- permanently grounding him -- from the Vietnamese officer's frenzied application of a wooden baton.

"From 1983-85, Col. Larry Carrigan was 347FW/DO (F-4Es). He'd spent 6 [product] years in the Hilton -- the first three of which he was listed as MIA. His wife lived on faith that he was still alive. His group, too, got the cleaned/fed/clothed routine in preparation for a 'peace delegation' visit.

"They, however, had time and devised a plan to get word to the world that they still survived. Each man secreted a tiny piece of paper, with his Social Security number on it, in the palm of his hand. When paraded before Ms. Fonda and a cameraman, she walked the line, shaking each man's hand and asking little encouraging snippets like, 'Aren't you sorry you bombed babies?' and, 'Are you grateful for the humane treatment from your benevolent captors?'"

"Believing this HAD to be an act, they each palmed her their sliver of paper. She took them all without missing a beat. At the end of the line and once the camera stopped rolling, to the shocked disbelief of the POWs, she turned to the officer in charge ... and handed him the little pile of notes.

"Three men died from the subsequent beatings. Col. Carrigan was almost number four.

"For years after their release, a group of determined former POWs, including Col. Carrigan, tried to bring Ms. Fonda and others up on charges of treason. I don't know that they used it, but the charge of 'Negligent Homicide due to Depraved Indifference' would also seem appropriate. Her obvious 'granting of aid and comfort to the enemy' alone should've been sufficient for the treason count. However, to date, Jane Fonda has never been formally charged with anything and continues to enjoy the privileged life of the rich and famous.

"I, personally, think that this is shame on us, the American Citizenry.

"Part of our shortfall is ignorance: Most don't know such actions ever took place.

"The only addition I might add to these sentiments is to remember the satisfaction of relieving myself into the urinal at some air base or another where 'zaps' of Hanoi Jane's face had been applied."

And there is this account:

"I was a civilian economic development advisor in Vietnam, and was captured by the North Vietnamese communists in South Vietnam in 1968, and held for over 5 years. I spent 27 months in solitary confinement, one year in a cage in Cambodia, and one year in a 'black box' in Hanoi. My North Vietnamese captors deliberately poisoned and murdered a female missionary, a nurse in a leprosarium in Ban Me Thuot, South Vietnam, whom I later buried in the jungle near the Cambodian border.

"At one time, I was weighing approximately 90 lb. [my normal weight is 170 lb.). We were Jane Fonda's 'war criminals.'"

"When Jane Fonda was in Hanoi, I was asked by the camp communist political officer if I would be willing to meet with her. I said yes, for I would like to tell her about the real treatment we POWs were receiving, which was far different from the treatment purported by the North Vietnamese, and parroted by Jane Fonda, as 'humane and lenient.' Because of this, I spent three days on a rocky floor on my knees with outstretched arms with a piece of steel re-bar placed on my hands, and beaten with a bamboo cane every time my arms dipped.

"Jane Fonda had the audacity to say that the POWs were lying about our torture and treatment. Now ABC is allowing Barbara Walters to honor Jane Fonda in her feature "100 Years of Great Women." Shame on the Disney Company.

"I had the opportunity to meet with Jane Fonda for a couple of hours after I was released. I asked her if she would be willing to debate me on TV. She did not answer me, her husband (at the time), Tom Hayden, answered for her. She was mind controlled by her husband. This does not exemplify someone who should be honored by '100 Years of Great Women.'"

"After I was released, I was asked what I thought of Jane Fonda and the anti-war movement. I said that I held Joan Baez's husband in very high regard, for he thought the war was wrong, burned his draft card and went to prison in protest. If the other anti-war protesters took this same route, it would have brought our judicial system to a halt and ended the war much earlier, and there wouldn't be as many on that somber black granite wall called the Vietnam Memorial. This is democracy. This is the American way.

"Jane Fonda, on the other hand, chose to be a traitor, and went to Hanoi, wore their uniform, propagandized for the communists, and urged American soldiers to desert. As we were being tortured, and some of the POWs murdered, she called us liars. After her heroes -- the North Vietnamese communists -- took over South Vietnam, they systematically murdered 80,000 South Vietnamese political prisoners. May their souls rest on her head forever."

In the words of Paul Harvey, America, "now you know the rest of the story."

ABC and Babs Walters will undoubtedly include "Hanoi" Jane in their televised celebration because their black souls are too hardened and too imbued with an anti-American sentiment to do anything else. And ultimately, they will all answer for what they have done in their lives. In the meantime, I don't plan on watching anything that has Jane Fonda's face anywhere near it. I won't buy her videos; I won't rent or go see her movies. As far as I'm concerned, she's already dead to me.

Whether or not you agreed with the war in Vietnam, whether you're a Vietnam vet or a former member of the protest movement, or whether you're too old or too young to have been there, the behavior of Jane Fonda towards our own military men is reprehensible beyond belief. All I ask is that you think about these accounts the next time you see her. Let your conscience guide your actions from there.

In conclusion, I'd like to say that I want to personally choke Jane Fonda until her eyes burst out from pressure, and impale her on one of the "rattling sabers" she was talking about. There are very few people .... well, actually, a LOT of people who I wish the most violent death possible on, and JF is one of them.

G

Gizmo

Im not going to say anything, because I know I`ll only get brutally flamed for not agreeing with what i`m told to believe.
:(
Democracy truly does equal mob rule.

T

terzarima

I have to say that Jane Fonda seems to be an intelligent person. I won't say anymore except that the disaster has plagued the site with the constant battering/flaming of others and by bringing more debate that's based soley on opinion won't help.

That's my opinion, not yours,

Andrew

Z

Zadok001

While her methods are exceedingly questionable to the point of idiocy, I will say I believe her perspective is accurate - Had her efforts been successful (i.e., if soldiers HAD pulled out of Vietnam sooner) a great number of lives would have been saved.

D

DÛke

...I'm NOT afraid that I agree with her. She is a bit extreem, but at these times, TELL me who isn't...that includes you Mr. Arhar...

A

Apollo

In light of what was shared later on this thread, I retract my previous comments...

I don't know enough about this whole thing to really comment on her. Heck, I don't really know enough about Vietnam to comment on it at all.

D

DÛke

...Gizmo. Just come out and speak your mind...be like me dammit! Actually, you can't do that...

:D

G

Gizmo

Im protesting because I cant say what I want to say. I feel that my freedom of speech has been removedm and I wished to make that protest.
I will instead post here simply to say: 'I exist, I have an opinion. I know you cannot deal with hearing my opinion so I wont present it, but dont forget that I exist and that there is probably a second way of looking at this'.

I say again I have never incited anything I have only ever presented my honest opinion.
For the record I possess 0 spite and am in fact just about the nicest and most relaxed person in the world.

And Duke, I dont feel like smiling. I feel that Im being bullied into silence by people who simply cant process views which contrast with their own.

A

arhar

I am shocked. Read just the second part of my post. Even if you disagree with the war in Vietnam, you don't find her behavior in there evil? Starved and tortured American prisoners look at her as the last hope, and what she does? And after that, you can say that you agree with her?

Z

Zadok001

arhar, while she may have done evil things, I can't see her actions as any more evil than those taken by the US government as a whole. She shot at American soldiers. American soldiers shot at the people of Vietnam.

At least in one of those examples, the targets could shoot back.

R

rkoelsch

Being one of the few people on here old enough to have live during the Vietnam War, I have to make a comment. I think what she did during Vietnam was very wrong. There were many ways of protesting the war but the method she choose came very close to being treason.

As for her comments now, I wish there was a way we could treat this like a crime but there is no way to adequately conduct surveillance in the area. So I think she is being naive about it. But that is not a crime in our society.

Some people on this forum need to take the time to listen to opposing views and not be consumed by hate for an invisible enemy. Having no outlet of such anger will only force people to redirect it to inappropriate targets.

D

DÛke

...Gizmo, if you want to say something, say it. I know exactly the restraint you might be feeling, but I URGE you to speak your mind...

...you know why?

...I want to see who in these dang boards can HANDLE another perspective. I want to know who's open-minded, and who's willing to at least listen. I wanna MAKE a distinction, YES, I wanna draw the line, between the selfish and giving, between the avenging and the fighting; the listener and the other; the local and the global. Oh, the tragedy has helped me see exactly what kind of personalities I'm dealing with...

So, speak your mind...I want to see the reactions...like the reactions when you said all you had to say about the tragedy. That right there, helped me see who's able to think of others, see beyond the horizon, and look at the universal matter.

What's the worst that could happen? Few would "hate" you? So what...a sign of their weakness; a sign of your power to speak. Period.

When a baby cries when confronted with something, he cries most likely because deep down inside, he knows there's a grain (or even full) truth in that confrontation...

"HATE me, PLEASE...it tells me so much about you..."

G

Gizmo

I dont believe she shot at American soldiers, she simply posed as though using the AA guns for the North Vietnamese press.

The Vietnamese war was an horrendously messy thing that the US government had no reason to get involved in, and as such Im not sure it serves as a great example to put alongside the current events. Also bear in mind that thirty-five years have passed, and that strident anti-establishment/war protests were a mark of that era.

So what we actually have, that is in any way relevent, is that Jane Fonda is concerned that the current reaction is overly emotional, and would prefer that THE RULE OF LAW is applied over a desire for vengeance.
You may not agree with her views, but correct or not al she chose to do was express her opinion - which hurt NOBODY. And for daring to exercise her fundamental freedom of beliefs and speech, she gets:

In conclusion, I'd like to say that I want to personally choke Jane Fonda until her eyes burst out from pressure, and impale her on one of the "rattling sabers" she was talking about. There are very few people .... well, actually, a LOT of people who I wish the most violent death possible on, and JF is one of them.
:eek:
That is absolutely outrageous, Arhar. Jesus christ you sound like you are one of the most deeply evil men on the planet. I know for a fact that Hitler never said anything equally vicious about the Jews, or the communists - at least not that has been kept on record.
Im serious that is so far out of order it isnt even funny to laugh at.

Im amazed that there hasnt been outright shock at this. Its just WAY out of order. Presumably seeing as I have in the past expressed similar views to those of Jane Fonda in the past I would also be murdered and have my body mutilated by Arhar if we ever met. Can one of the moderators please do something about this, because Arhars posts recently have been simply disgusting.

If you need to ask why I won`t say what I think, you need look no further. Until now I`ve not mentioned that I recieved numerous poison pen emails and death threats from CPA members following the WTC attack, and at one point a computer virus was attached to one of the emails I was sent (thankfully my system spotted it in advance) - simply because I didnt feel it would achieve anything to highlight them. After this outburst from Arhar not only do I believe I know who they came from, I want to highlight to Duke, and possibly others who might sympathise with me, why am choosing not to say anything about the subject any longer.

T

theorgg

If you need to ask why I won`t say what I think, you need look no further. Until now I`ve not mentioned that I recieved numerous poison pen emails and death threats from CPA members following the WTC attack, and at one point a computer virus was attached to one of the emails I was sent (thankfully my system spotted it in advance) - simply because I didnt feel it would achieve anything to highlight them. After this outburst from Arhar not only do I believe I know who they came from, I want to highlight to Duke, and possibly others who might sympathise with me, why am choosing not to say anything about the subject any longer.
I echo the sentament of :(

If this wasn't the same CPA member that I recieved a virus on the end of an e-mail from, I say shame on whomever sent it.

Even if you don't agree, do not attempt to destroy it. Simply tell it.

Not that Gizmo is "it," simply a statement. :mad:

A

Apollo

In that case, I hope you've reported this to the moderators. If you haven't, do it. Anybody who's sent death threats to anybody else on these boards should be permanently removed. Gizmo, I've in the past taken issue with how you've stated your views, but I certainly believe that you have the right to state them.

G

Gizmo

The emails didnt come via the CPA email system, but used an older mail address of mine that was still listed in only a few places, including here. And it also referred to things I had only said here, as I have not been drawn into discussions about this topic on other sites I frequent.

C

Chaos Turtle

Breaking from my general policy of avoiding these inflammatory threads...

DÛke has already covered some of what I want to say. I'll add in particular that Gizmo (and everyone else) ought to be able to express his opinion here without the knee-jerk juvenile flaming that's always going on in response.

On Jane Fonda:

Her recent statements are simply her own impressions of the "war on Terrorism." A lot of people share her views on this subject. Yes, by "people" I mean Americans, even very patriotic ones.

The whole Hanoi Jane performance was a political statement. I've personally never heard about the POW incident before now, and I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now. If it's entirely true, then she's a heartless bitch. So what? The world is full of them. I know people (okay, one person) in my personal life that I despise for their evil ways, but I don't think I want to choke any of them to death or impale them.

One of the wonderful things about being an American is having the right to make such political statements and not be jailed or killed for them. There were plenty of people who opposed America's involvement in Vietnam who might have done the same thing.

You want to be outraged about something, how about being outraged at the massacre of Kent State college students during an relatively peaceful protest, by nervous National Guardsmen with itchy trigger fingers. Now that pisses me off even now.

So this comes back to us. If I'm understanding this right, people are actually sending death threats to one of our members because he doesn't see things the same way as they do? And a virus attached to an email?

You have got to be kidding me.

What hypocrisy! That is exacty the same sort of mindset that terrorists have. You don't agree with someone's way of seeing things, so you use scare tactics and even launch an assault on a man's property to... do what? Prove a point? You've proven your point all right. The point is that you're weak-minded and immature.

I don't agree with Gizmo's assessment of the world political situation in many cases. I certainly wasn't thrilled with his matter-of-fact "you had it coming" approach immediately following the attacks, when there are people on the boards who live in relative proximity to the destruction, and at least one member who had a missing family member. But it took almost no effort at all to refrain from freaking out and calling him all sorts of names.

From a show of apparent insensitivity, so many of you have extrapolated a set of assumtions about the character of someone you don't even know. This reveals more character flaws in you than in him, among them a failure of critical thinking skills and a tendency to generalize. Well that puts you in the very cozy company of racists, religious fanatics, and the sorts of people I'd expect to be bombing government buildings and murdering abortion doctors.

Now, during the time following the attacks, a lot of people were furious. I (and most of the moderators) have granted a great deal of leeway for people to express themselves. Some of you have shown remarkable restraint. Others have shown remarkable volatility and emotion. I believe that these are legitimate reactions, and a lot of stuff went unchallenged simply because it didn't seem like a good time to go around slapping people's wrists. And there was just so much of it.

I think that the time for such outbursts has come to an end.

This is a family-friendly community, and a kind of family in its own right. This kind of behavior is inappropriate for both. It's time to start showing a little common respect again.

Political discussions are kind of a custom in Off-Topic, and I hope that won't change. The tone, however, will have to. Any thread that turns into a flame-fest will be closed with the offending posts deleted.

Thanks for your time.

A

arhar

First and foremost.

Gizmo, I am truly sorry that you received death threats. I hope that no one even had the idea that it was me, because that's just beyond ridiculous. I hope after almost two years here, everybody knows me pretty well and knows I wouldn't do such thing.

Now, back on topic... I think I made a mistake by posting the first part of this thread. My anger towards Jane Fonda is, of course, caused by her behavior during the Vietnam War. But now I see that people think that I wish her harm because she disagrees with current American policy. Just to clear up the confusion, read my first post from the beginning to end. When she sees American soldiers, who have been imprisoned and tortured for years, and does what she did, I'm sorry, but I can't experience anything but anger. Fine, disagree with the war or American policy for as long as you want, but don't spit them in the face (figuratively) ... And yes, I think she should be AT LEAST stripped of American citizenship and deported.

Z

Zadok001

"And yes, I think she should be AT LEAST stripped of American citizenship and deported."

That's how it starts, arhar. That's always how it's started. Someone doesn't agree with a government. That someone is an extremist, going far beyond the norm. But they aren't a danger. They're just very, very different. So they are attacked. Maybe not physically, but they are punished. Punished for thinking differently, for thinking "wrong." Perhaps they deserved to be punished, perhaps they did not. That person is punished. Then someone else stands up, maybe a little less extreme, but close. They, too, are punished.

And so it goes.

Ever read 1984? This is how it starts. "That person is bad! Kick them out! Change them!" They are kicked out. Or they are changed. Changed to be "right." Right, of course, being subjective, is defined as whatever the majority opinion or the opinion of those in power think is "right." Conformity. The illusion of freedom.

That's how it starts.