I've had a vision, wait no... I lost it

T

terzarima

Has the Cpa lost its founding fathers visions? I read the article by Anthony James Scott

My name is Anthony James Scott and I am an ambassador from the Casual
Players Alliance. This group was formed by individuals who, while we may not
agree on all issues, are tired of the apparent disregard WotC and the DCI
seems to have for us. It is time our voices were heard. It is time WotC
stood up and took notice of us, the people who may
not play on the pro tour. The bulk of the people who buy their product. The
people who pay for their paychecks. In short, it is time to organize.

We are actively seeking members who feel the same way we do. We are not out
to overthrow or destroy but to preserve this game we love and ensure it is
around for a long time. I am asking anyone who reads this to join the Casual
Players Alliance.

WotC does not seem to be listening to us. WotC does not seem to care about
our opinions. Whether or not this is really the case, they do not seem to be
hearing our voices.
I'm not complaining about the Cpa, in fact I enjoy it as much as the day when I joined, but we seem to be floating farther and farther away from our strength. Strength in numbers.
Theorgg was my inspiration to join, he had interveiws with all of the big people in magic, and I though that we could make a difference in the game that we all love so very dearly, but if anything I think we've lost influence.
I say we raise our sword (just a figure of speech, please don't get any ideas, anyone) and take our ideas to the WOTC, who agrees?

D

dw51688

Who is Anthony James Scott? Well anyways, that was a good article and very true. I don't think we lost "the vision" just revised it as time changed.

Z

Zadok001

Scott is commonly referred to as Baron Sengir by yours truly; he was the guy who originally proposed the idea of a Casual Alliance of sorts.

Now, then...

The opinion on the original idea of the CPA is debated fairly often by the older members, as to whether we should return to our 'scream and yell at WotC' ideas. I am of the school that we should not, at least not now. See, the CPA was founded shortly after the errata to Waylay, which pissed a lot of casuals off. It felt like the DCI was laying down the law by cutting off a decktype because a large number of tourney players were complaining. Basically, they couldn't handle the deck, so the DCI cut it off. More abusive decks have been left intact, and a lot of people felt the Waylay errata was unessesary.

At the same time, WotC seemed to be wrecking a lot of aspects of the game for casuals. This was a Bad Thing(tm), and a major reason for the Founding of the CPA.

Problem is, since we we Founded, WotC has kinda turned their act around. :) After we joined up, Masques was released. Hmm... There goes THAT argument, that tourney sets are too broken. Masques was fun and unique, and anything but broken. The next few bannings had little effect on the casuals (Ritual was questionable, but a lot of people considered it nessesary), and Nemesis and Prophecy only made up happier. We can't go off yelling at WotC when they're doing everything right, now can we?

The conclusion I draw is this: The CPA is, right now, in hibernation from its original purpose. Make no mistake, however. If something comes up that needs our attention, I will personally bring it up and ask for a call of support. If I get enough people behind me, we can start screaming and yelling as nessesary. The CPA can still serve its purpose, but its purpose is not an issue right now. Nor can I see it being an issue as long as WotC stays good.

While we aren't needed in this manner, the CPA serves as a 'Coffee house' for casuals, giving us a place to state our minds and not get ridiculed for it. That's the plan, anyways. :)

For the record, if ANYONE feels something needs to be brought to WotC's attention, please, bring it up. See if you can get a group behind you. We'll work it out from there.

"Hibernating. Like a loaded shotgun, but hibernating nonetheless."

V

Volradon

Originally posted by Zadok001
"Hibernating. Like a loaded shotgun, but hibernating nonetheless."
That said it all. ANyway waht happened to baron sengir i never did get the chance to talk to him.

A

Apollo

In my opinion, Zadok is completely right. I haven't been thrilled with the recent sets, but they aren't bad enough to scream and yell at Wizards. And they haven't really screwed up any bannings or anything.

But when they do (and they will:)), we'll be all over them.

T

terzarima

Okay, I am happy once more :) I'm glad that not only have we lost our vision, but that we have a great person to lead us to war, when that chance arises of course, being Zadok!!!

C

Cateran Emperor

And so the mighty beast of the CPA sleeps, waiting for the day whence it is called forth from its slumber to sound the rally to the cause of Magic...

D

DÛke

...I don't the CPA is that boring compared to say, MTGnews. At least the Off-Topic and the Battle Arena gives the CPA just a bit of "fun".

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
caught my eye, Zadok...

See, the CPA was founded shortly after the errata to Waylay, which pissed a lot of casuals off. It felt like the DCI was laying down the law by cutting off a decktype because a large number of tourney players were complaining. Basically, they couldn't handle the deck, so the DCI cut it off
What decktype was this? I thought Waylay was just added to an existing decktype like WW or something. I'm not aware that a deck was built SOLEY around Waylay.

A

Apollo

Well, basically it was just WW with Waylay. But without Waylay, the deck wasn't good enough to compete in the environment. So essentially, by cutting off Waylay they destroyed the entire deck.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Was it good because of Waylay itself or good because of the surprise value? Because Waylay was around before the 6th rules change and I don't think people put it in WW decks before (and if they did, I don't think it worked out as well, otherwise people wouldn't have been complaining).