It's time to do what we were ment to do

T

The Magic Jackal

There's been a lot of talk lately that the cpa has not been doing what it was made to do. If you need clarification on what this is, read the mission statement. I'm not going to get into "where is the cpa headed" or "what needs to be done at the cpa", because I don't think it's my place to say. I'm not a casual player. What I'm trying to do is rekindle the flames of the cpa, and talk about what Wizards of the Coast needs to be Paying attention to.

Ok, the topic of this dicussion is:

DO YOU THINK RISHADAN PORT SHOULD BE BANNED?

I do not believe it should. I believe that a card that should be banned needs to fall into one of the following categories:
(Creatues not included-see below)

a) When it hits the table you will almost always win
b) It is severly undercosted WITHOUT a drawback
c) It is broken AND it can be put into any deck
d) It is broken AND there is a lack of cards that can deal with it

Rishadan port does not fit snugly into any of these categories. I've been to enough tournaments to know that it will not win you the game. It will benefit you a lot, but it wont win you the game. Since it is a land, it can't be undercosted.

C and D are where people are going to argue with me. IN MY OPINION, I don't think the port is broken. Even if it is considered broken, I don't think the port fits into every deck. In fact, I've gotten many funny faces from people at tournaments for putting ports in what they thought was a rebel deck. There are a lack of cards to deal with it, but this only matters if you consider it to be broken.

Many of my friends have disagreed with me on my categories. Many of the cards that people consider should be banned do not fit into my categories. Let's take Yagmoth's Bargain, for expample, It does not fit into a,b,c, and it doesn't really fit into d. This doesn't mean that it's not a good card, rather it's not a card that needs to be banned. The problem with bargain is that when you combine it with other cards (academy rector) it creates a devestating combo.

If you look at many of the cards that are banned, perticualry the power nine, you will see that they fit into at least one of these categories. Gaea's cradle, is not banned, but I think that it fits nicely into category d.

To my knowledge(I've only been playing since alliances) no creature has ever been banned.
This is because they are teh easist permanent to get rid of, because of combat.
In my opinion, I think it will be a long time untill we see a creature banned. Morphling is the closest creature that qualifies to being banned.

So, In conclusion, I blieve that Rishadan Port is a very powerful card, but not one that needs to be banned.

A

Apollo

Actually, Hypnotic Specter was banned in Extended, although it would no longer be legal anyway (as someone else pointed out to my chagrin somewhere else on the boards).

I agree with your assesment of the port and your categories, although you really need a definition of broken to go along with them. I think that the Port is something that the CPA maybe ought to get into, if it is still on the watch list. I don't think that it is broken. It is powerful, but won't single-handedly win you the game. I don't think the Cradle is broken though, and doesn't need to be banned. It can add a lot of mana for you, but only in conjunction with other cards, and it only does you good with more powerful cards. I think it is about on the level of Bargain. Very powerful, but not broken, at least in Standard.

Apollo

T

The Magic Jackal

hmmm, a definition of broken. A card that drastically changes the tempo of the game. For example, when masticore hits the table, it changes the tempo of the game; your opponent now has to change his play style to accomodate for this new card.

Don't get me wrong, broken cards are great. They challange your opponent and bring the game up a level. Without broken cards, the game would be dull. Broken cards is what makes it fun and challenging. I would say there are at least 5-10 broken cards to a set. You may disagree, but i believe thta if you tried, you could find at least 5 broken cards in each set.

Now that we know what a broken card is, don't mistake it for a good card. Avalanche riders is a good card, but not a broken one.

Every broken card is a good card, but not every good card is a broken card

Now that we have that out of the way, back to the discussion.

B

Baron Sengir

IMHO, I don't think any card should be banned until it is proven either completely unbalanced (Mind Twist) or completely dominates whatever field it is in (Tolarian Acadamy). Like Jackal said, unless the Port was a card that could be popped into any deck and win you the game, I don't think it should be banned. I didn't even think Strip Mine needed to be restricted and how annoying was that card?

Not every deck can use a Port well. Not every deck can use Masticore well. Both these cards remind me of Cursed Scroll. A lot of people called for it to be banned but you couldn't just pop a Scroll into any deck. Granted, it influenced a lot of 'empty hands' decks but it did not work in any deck. Neither do the 'core or Port.

I remain
The Baron
Although Masticore is annoying to play against ...

Killer Joe

Rishadan Port is thee best non-basic land in the Standard environment today. So start packing Dust Bowl and now the game is even. Beaware of the A$$hole who wants to cut your throat when Dust Bowl hits the table, Porters (The have's) hate it when Bowlers (the have nots) blow up their precious baby's, Bwahahahahahahaha!
BTW, Don't ban it Wiz Co.

T

The Magic Jackal

Good point Yellowjacket, the bowl does keep the port in check. That was a good move by wizards. One of the only ones. I'm getting the general feel that most of you don't want it to be banned, which is what i expected. From my personal expierence, my friends who are casual players don't think it should be banned, but my non-casual players think it should be banned, wierd.

C

Chaos Turtle

There is nothing in Type 2 right now that needs to be banned, including Rishadan Port.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think Kird Ape was banned before its time too... and Mishra's Factory (although it's also a land)

I really have an uninformed opinion on the 'Port, but just for principles sake I will say it doesn't need to be banned now :)