It's election time - sort of!

Ferret

Staff member
It's kind of interesting being here in a country that hasn't had a free election in - well, never that I can remember. A lot of the people are afraid to vote because people from the old dominant government don't want to lose power or they don't want to vote because they're afraid it won't make a difference - sounds like another country I hang out in...

...anyhoo, it's going to be interesting to see how it goes...

-Ferret

"I, for one, will be hiding out and watching the coverage on Fox News..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought there weren't any people from the old dominant power left... I mean, I know they allowed a few Sunnites back in the government (or from the Baath party), but I didn't think there were enough of them to have a majority. False?

Also, the impression I get is that a lot of people are afraid to vote because of the killings. False again?

Ferret

Staff member
Well, it's kind of weird. Most of the major players from the old gov't are gone. This is true, but a lot of afluent people really enjoyed the wold regime and the power that came w/ it.

As for voter fear. This was a fact, but the numbers show that a lot of people (8,000,000!) decided to defy the insurgents and voted anyway. This is a really good sign. It shows that people are enjoying their taste of freedom. If anything, it installs a spirit of nationalism and this could be the one thing the insurgency can't fight...

-Ferret

"The next few months are going to be fun to watch..."

T

train

I really just hope the people that win the election, maintain everything the US soldiers worked to place in that country...