is there a mtg variant with just 2 players?

T

thrasykles

hi folks
i just registered today on this site i found interesting cause there don't seem to be that much strategy discussion about "serious" game play, which usually means you can only participate if you attend as much "standard" tournaments as possible and collect any new expansion even before it's released... well that's not what i call a game. i'm into mtg since the release of ice age and i can't actually remember when i last played a duel with less than four players. i like all magic variants played in big groups and i fancy all kinds of theme decks, focussing around a game mechanic, a creature type, a story or whatever comes to mind. (it's really fun to beat a pure white deck with a deck, who's only source of damaged are magical hacked karmas...) the colour i usually like most is blue, but my dearest decks are those in opposing colors (u/r, w/b and my personal favourite g/u).
i hope to meat people here who share some of my interests and also try to squeeze as much fun as possible out of their cards. cu thrasykles

G

Gerode

Beware of all the crazy people here at the Casual Psycho Asylum!

A

Apollo

Welcome!

Re: your question:
Who says you need to use established variants? Just change anything you want, and see how it works. 5-color Magic, with something like 250 card decks of all 5 colors, is pretty popular. You can probably find completel rules somewhere (I'm sure you can, just don't know where).

T

TURD CUTTER!!!

Casual Psycho Asylum??? I thought it stood for Crappy Pee-ers Association! Well, looks like I've joined the wrong message board. Well, guess I'll be leaving now(j/k)

I tend to like red, blue, and yellow all mixed together. Then, I cut it apart.

Well, welcome aboard!

M

MrXarvox

Welcome to the madhouse.

Variant: insomnia magic.
1000+ cards in deck
500 life each
10 card hand

anyone who goes to sleep loses.

Try it! :D

And remember, You don't exist

T

thrasykles

aah! i shouldn't mark statements as questions (?)
actually i AM aware that mtg may be played with just two players but i simply don't care. i reckon every variant is more fun with more people.;) so why not 5-color-magic with five people?
(the five-color stuff is all on www.5-colors.com, which is a pretty cool site).

as for the Crazed Project Anouncers: your comments are especially wellcum:p!

S

Sidar Jabari

I'm right with you mate. The more the merrier.

Still, I've never played this 5-colour thing that people talk about. It looks a bit silly to me. The deck construction is maybe a little restrive. Still, each to thier own!

However, I would encourage you to play star! It's even on the back of your cards for chrissakes! Don't just sit there, go and do it.

T

thrasykles

yeah i like star also. but usually not all of my friends have a single-coloured deck ready, so we usually play it with our ordinary decks. (see my reply to the article "fun format for five")

concerning the 5-color thing, it's a bit too crass for me also & my playgroup consist of REALLY casual players. most of us don't spend enough time on magic to be willing to build a new deck for a single occasion. therefore we seldom play variants, that are defined by special deck construction restrictions, but play different games with essentially the same decks (which forces the decks to be VERY versatile).

our deck construction rules are basically those of type I, except that no cards are banned (mind twist etc. are just restricted and all ante-effects are simply ignored), the restricted list includes some additional cards, that are overpowered in multiplayer games (congregate, subversion and a few others) and we all hated the shadow-ability, since we first heard of it, so we ignore the word "shadow", when it's printed on a card.