Is it really bad to....

Q

Quill

Is it really bad to make a deck that kills on the first,second,or third turn? I see a lot of negative comments about these kind of decks (Most recently Trix) but there are some things I think we should look at.
First "someone" (or ones) came up with these ingenious ideas. these people should be applauded for their wit. Not just anyone can see these combos without being shown.
Second although Magic is for fun, its still competitive fun, and the goal is to have fun and hopefully win the game too. I tend to think of magic as chess with cards. And no one speaks negatively of a chess player who wins a match quickly because an opponent left himself open. If we think of some of these quick decks as new gambits that we should be prepared to defend against, I think it puts a whole new light on the game.
For the record I've never played in a tournament, (not even a local one....yet) nor have I ever played with or against any of these quick kill decks. I'm just voicing my opinion on a pretty major issue in the MTG community.

W

Wizard2000

Go to a tournament and try to play... you will change your tune after you go 0-9 to decks like Trix and Pandaburst. You'll also be done in like 15 minutes since no game lasts past turn 3. :)

I do see what you mean, people put a lot of thought into these decks (usually). They should be applauded, but we players shouldn't be so bent on winning. Greed hurts us all in many ways, including in Magic the Gathering. And no, I don't mean the card named Greed.

C

Chaos Turtle

I agree that the deckbuilders ought to be congrtaulated on their creations. The problem is where a deck that can kill by turn 3 becomes a deck the probably will kill by turn 3.
The deckbuilders' reward of course is that they win a lot. I can think of no greater compliment than that a deck I built resulted in a banning.
I liken it to a boxer retiring at the height of his career. He's amazing; no one can beat him; time to hang up the gloves...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'll add my voice of agreement to Wizard and Chaos. It does take a lot of thinking to get a deck to a turn < 3 kill. However, it does suck to play against one in a tourney because you paid x dollars and you're getting crushed. You really can't see how your deck performs (if you haven't playtested, that is. If you have, you probably wouldn't be playing your deck anyway). Actually, the same goes for casual play. The games go by so fast that you can't see your own deck perform.

Probably most people playing "casually" can remember games where there's give and take on both sides, where each player comes back with a board-clearing spell and then loses the initiative later. Heck, I remember games where I've come back from 1 life and games that have literally lasted a couple hours (although I don't know if they were control decks :)). You'll never get that with decks that kill in turns < 3 and that's a common lamentation.

D

DeathPitOffering

AS long as these cards excist (Donate, bargain, cradle) they will be used in decks! Theres no way to make ALL the magic players stop being greedy (I wish we could!! ;)) So you have to decide, if tournemetns should be the hardcore kill or be killed (WHo buys the most cards) that they are now, or should they be more fun? I think we should go for the latter cuz then new players wouldnt mind going to tournements. I think wizards decided to do the latter too. Thats why you dont see mm and ne come up with such broken cards in US block (I AM SOOO NOT COMPLAINING!!!)