Is France so weak?

T

train

I really have never held high thoughts about France militarily, but this takes the cake...

In their defense - they say that they did not approve of the US invasion into IRAQ... what wussies...

Apparently France is so seemingly weak in the world community of terrorists, that terrorists are now abducting French persons on the assumption that France will change a law in exchange for the release of kidnapped persons...

That's a pretty low view to have of a country. Is France that weak?...

Legislative Terrorism...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's an interesting view to take. To continue, you might as well say Italy, South Korea, Japan, Phillippines, and others are weak because their country's citizens have been kidnapped in Iraq in hopes that they will pull their forces out of Iraq.

It's simply the age-old goal behind terrorism and kidnapping: kidnap someone in hopes the country will capitulate. It doesn't matter how "weak they are perceived". The country is doing something the terrorists don't like and since they can't compete militarily, this is what they come up with.

C

conservative_infidel

I don't think every Islamo-terror kidnapper really believes they will change a position of a country with a beheading replayed with an on-line broadcast.

I think some perhaps do it for sheer sadistic pleasure out of hate for that which is different or more powerful (but where were these Islamic protests when Saddam ran Abu Ghuraib? Oh yea, it was unholy infidel status that justifies their behaving like filthy, wild animals).

In general, I think kidnappers have a U.S. inner-city gang mentality: baseless cause, something shocking and cowardly to thump their chest over, and no ability to mature and interact with society as a normal human being.

Although I think France's weakness does come from their lack of ability to take a stand, it seems as though dealing with the devil or playing the middle really has no benefit now. :yawn:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps some jumped on the bandwagon, but they're probably all loosely organized.

And France IS taking a stand - they're not changing their head scarf policy.

T

train

but previously - terrorism, to my knowledge, as stated in the article - has not tried to change the laws of a nation...

this is what they are doing... They kidnapped form other mentioned countries, but only to pull out troops - not for legislative gain...

France is the first to see this type of terrorism in the modern day...

C

conservative_infidel

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But what are the chances they'll change the head scarf policy? I don't think likely because their financial ties are not with the terrorists, but with the government of Iraq.

To capitulate now would be embarrassing and fail to hit them in the wallet--so to speak. But if I were to roll the dice on France, I'd bet we see some sort of capitulation on policy.

I stand corrected.:rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it matters whether they're trying to "change a law". So France is the first. Was whoever who was beheaded first the first time someone got kidnapped so their country would pull out troops? If not him, then someone else had to be "the first". The underlying principle is the same: kidnapping someone for a type of "ransom", whether it be monetary or policy or whatever.

And what's exactly wrong with France's military to begin with? :confused:

T

train

I don't think it matters whether they're trying to "change a law". So France is the first.
the reason I think it matters is because France isn't the only nation with laws that can "hinder" religious beliefs...

But they go after them first...

There has to be some reason why... Is it because France's nature is to "negotiate" instead of stand firm...

That's what I was viewing as another sign of weakness towards France...

It would be much easier to change the laws of a smaller nation... but there's more "coverage" of the incident, the bigger the nation is...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Is there another nation that bans head-scarves?

Which isn't solely directed at the Muslim faith... it's a general "headgear" law that also bans Jewish skullcaps and Christian something-or-other (I don't have my paper and article in front of me right now that mentions it). Plus, there were private talks with the French Muslim community to allow bandanas before this all started.

And notice the French Muslim community doesn't even support the kidnapping... it's just a radical group who seemed to be trying to get attention.

T

train

I can't say it's national... but they've done it in public schools here in TX...

I noticed the muslim community thing - but also mentioned previously it would be for more "coverage"...

C

conservative_infidel

I believe we do it right here in the USA a la inner-city or suburban schools with blood and crypt bandanas on the mellon. [I wonder if that was even a good comparision].

Maybe a ban would protect Muslims from the violence of others as well as inhibit their freedom to sport the scarf. But whether it's the 1940's and you have slanted eyes or it's today and you sport the headgear, I believe people primarily judge by appearance first--sort of like my beloved 9th Regiment back at Fort Ord whose motto was to: "Shoot 'em all, then let God sort 'em out." ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Any bannings here would be at the state level at most, but probably at the county level. It's not federal or nationwide as France's seem to be.

And it's ALL headgear, no matter what the religion. Muslims are just in the news now because they're.... in the news in the world. Did the Jews complain about the restrictions placed on them? Maybe, but the point is it's a uniform law, not singling out one group.