Internet Music Lovers Beware!

N

Nightstalkers

Don't you hate those kaniving crackers? (Not to be mistaken for Hackers, mind you!)

F

FmK-AnC

just gonna dl a bunch of songs and than make it so that i cannt share them... and keep dowloading them... and all my movies too... ahhh

N

Nightstalkers

its alright if you download them... I just download a bunch of songs, then render them into a completely useless code which keeps away them flies.

T

train

Okay - so this is about things found on public networks...

What about private ones...

or what about files sent through email...

or dial-up transfers, dsl transfers, wireless network transfers, etc...

Guarantee...

"The RIAA will send itself into Bankruptcy if it goes after piracy this way... There's too many people to sue... and none going to pay..."

This is essentially - civil court...

N

Nightstalkers

Comical isnt it? :D

And what about those proud bootleg artists? the ones which make such wonderful copies of movies that are still in the box office. No one is attacking them, I know because I watch the reports.

F

FmK-AnC

if they really think they can catch everyone... or even a porrtion of the people... they are so stupid... theres 33 mill kazaa users... probobly twice as much as that with everything put together... its like saying they are going to sue every 4th person they see

N

Nightstalkers

it would be a feat if they actually caught everyone though :rolleyes:

think about the money they might make.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This has been in the works - they have already sued two college students a couple of months back for sharing music files. Since it was successfull (I guess it was a guinea pig case), they have decided to go for it all...

It's not unfeasible; look how Napster got shut down (essentially). I think a lot of people will settle out of court and be scared into not doing it.

Sure you have train's other scenarios, but I think they're trying to stop the easy distributing part. Kinda like locking doors... a thief looking for a quick robbery isn't going to waste time breaking through a locked door when next door is open.

And they are going after bootleg movie makers.... a guy who did one of the The Hulk just got sued, in fact.

T

train

They'll be able to win the cases...

But money being made, is probably not the case... I think this is to mainly stop future losses from occurring...

They'll spend more in legal costs than will ever be paid to them by court victories...

"Judgements don't work the way people think they do..."

S

Svenmonkey

I'm pretty sure Kazaa is safe from legal problems because it is simply a program made for sharing files and does not condone the sharing of copyrighted stuff. In its license agreement you have to agree not to share copyrighted materials (an agreement which everyone breaks). So any sharing of copyrighted stuff would just qualify as illegal use of legal software and leave Kazaa's creators unharmed. They'll have to go after individual users and it will be a true pain for them.

It still amazes me how everyone gets hostile at the people who are suing the file sharers because everyone seems to see downloading things illegally as their right. Even me.

T

train

everyone seems to see downloading things illegally as their right.
Right?... would you mind explaining...

*I have no feelings for or against illegal downloading... nor the people doing it... I'm just curious as to how it is being viewed as a right...

T

train

I think napster was storing files... not just a program for sharing...:)

S

Svenmonkey

I don't mean that everyone actually thinks it's a right, I just mean that all those people downloading things illegally think that they can't be prosecuted for it.

T

train

Got it now...

And the general consensus is probably that they don't feel they can be prosecuted...

Guess it all comes down to the finances...

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

At least some people still recognize that Kazaa, etc. have legitimate uses, rather than pure, full-on oink-raping piracy.

T

train

We have some machines with Kazaa here at work... though I haven't used it so I don't know exactly what it can do...