Innistrad Event Decks: Spidey (Hold the Line) vs Oversoul (Deathfed)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think those Wurms are enough.

Untap, upkeep, Draw

Doomed Traveler
Equip a Cleaver to him

Done

Spiderman: 29
Hand: 1
Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U,U,U) Plains x7

Honor of the Pure (White creatures I control get +1/+1)
Oblivion Ring (When ~ ETB, exile another target nonland permanent.; When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.)
Bonds of Faith (Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 as long as it's Human. Otherwise, it can't attack or block)
Bonds of Faith (Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 as long as it's Human. Otherwise, it can't attack or block)

(U) Butcher's Cleaver (Equipped creature gets +3/+0.; As long as equipped creature is a Human, it has lifelink.; Equip 3)
(U) Butcher's Cleaver (Equipped creature gets +3/+0.; As long as equipped creature is a Human, it has lifelink.; Equip 3)

(U) Elite Vanguard (6/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure) *Equipped w/Cleaver*
(U) Spirit creature token (2/2 from Honor of the Pure; Flying)
(U) Accorder Paladin (4/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure; Battle Cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 ueot))
(U) Fiend Hunter (2/4 from Honor of the Pure; When ~ ETB, I may exile another target creature.; When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control)
(S) Doomed Traveler (5/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure; (When ~ dies, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into the battlefield) *Equipped w/Cleaver*

Graveyard:
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Oversoul: 20
Library: 14
Battlefield:

(U,U,T) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,T) Forest x5
(U,U) Swamp x2
(U) Hinterland Harbor (EtB tapped if I don't control a forest or island. T: Add G or U to my mana pool.)

(U) Llanowar Elves (1/1; T: Add G to my mana pool.)
(U) Armored Skaab (1/4; When ~ etb, put the top four cards of my library into my graveyard.)
(U) Boneyard Wurm (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard.) *Bonded by Faith*
(U) Viridian Emissary (2/1; When ~ dies, I may search my library for a basic land, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle my library.)
(U) Splinterfright (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard. Trample. At the beginning of my upkeep, put the top two cards of my library into my graveyard.) *Bonded by Faith*
(U) Boneyard Wurm (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard.)
(S) Boneyard Wurm (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard.)
(U,U,S,S,S,S,S,S,S) Spider token (1/2; Reach.) x9

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime
Exile: Forbidden Alchemy, Forbidden Alchemy Boneyard Wurm via Fiend Hunter, Bonehoard via Oblivion Ring

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, done.

Library: 40
Battlefield:

(T,T,T,T,U,U,U) Plains x7

Oblivion Ring (When ~ ETB, exile another target nonland permanent.; When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control.)

(U) Elite Vanguard (6/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure) *Equipped w/Cleaver*
(U) Accorder Paladin (4/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure; Battle Cry (Whenever this creature attacks, each other attacking creature gets +1/+0 ueot))
(U) Fiend Hunter (2/4 from Honor of the Pure; When ~ ETB, I may exile another target creature.; When ~ leaves the battlefield, return the exiled card to the battlefield under its owner's control)
(S) Doomed Traveler (5/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure; (When ~ dies, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into the battlefield) *Equipped w/Cleaver*

Graveyard:
Exile:

====================================================================================================

Hand: 2
Library: 11
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,U) Forest x5
(U,U) Swamp x2
(U) Hinterland Harbor (EtB tapped if I don't control a forest or island. T: Add G or U to my mana pool.)

(U) Armored Skaab (1/4; When ~ etb, put the top four cards of my library into my graveyard.)
(U) Boneyard Wurm (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard.) *Bonded by Faith*
(U) Viridian Emissary (2/1; When ~ dies, I may search my library for a basic land, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle my library.)
(U) Splinterfright (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard. Trample. At the beginning of my upkeep, put the top two cards of my library into my graveyard.) *Bonded by Faith*
(U) Boneyard Wurm (9/9; Power and toughness equal to the number of creature cards in my graveyard.)
(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Spider token (1/2; Reach.) x9

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime, Merfolk Looter, Forbidden Alchemy
Exile: Forbidden Alchemy, Forbidden Alchemy Boneyard Wurm via Fiend Hunter, Bonehoard via Oblivion Ring

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains

Done
Library: 39
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x8

(U) Doomed Traveler (5/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure; (When ~ dies, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into the battlefield) *Equipped w/Cleaver*

Graveyard: Doomed Traveler, Doomed Traveler
Exile:

Library: 11
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,U) Forest x5
(U,U) Swamp x2

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime, Merfolk Looter, Forbidden Alchemy

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Forest, done.

Library: 39
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x8

(U) Doomed Traveler (5/2; Lifelink from Cleaver and Honor of the Pure; (When ~ dies, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying into the battlefield) *Equipped w/Cleaver*

Exile:

Library: 8
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,U,U) Forest x6
(U,U) Swamp x2

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime, Merfolk Looter, Forbidden Alchemy, Bonehoard, Forest

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains

Done

Library: 38
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x9

Exile:

Library: 8
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,U,U) Forest x6
(U,U) Swamp x2

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime, Merfolk Looter, Forbidden Alchemy, Bonehoard, Forest

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
UUD, Forest, done.

Library: 38
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x9

Exile:

Library: 5
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Forest x7
(U,U) Swamp x2

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime, Merfolk Looter, Forbidden Alchemy, Bonehoard, Forest, Gnaw to the Bone, Forest

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Untap, upkeep, Draw

Plains

Done

Library: 37
Battlefield:

(U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Plains x10

Exile:

Library: 5
Battlefield:

(U,U,U) Island x2
(U,U,U,U,U,U,U) Forest x7
(U,U) Swamp x2

Graveyard: Forest, Mulch, Mulch, Viridian Emissary, Acidic Slime, Llanowar Elves, Llanowar Elves, Spider Spawning, Birds of Paradise, Mulch, Swamp, Forest, Mulch, Forest, Forest, Armored Skaab, Armored Skaab, Island, Spider Spawning, Island, Island, Llanowar Elves, Acidic Slime, Merfolk Looter, Forbidden Alchemy, Bonehoard, Forest, Gnaw to the Bone, Forest

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I'm past the point of no return (no possible way to avoid being decked). So I scoop. I had a several potential outs at first, but one by one they got milled away (drew Ratchet Bomb eventually, but it's too late to use it before I'm decked). I felt like a bit of a rube when I realized that if I hadn't cast Splinterfright, I would probably have won. But at the time I didn't fully comprehend what this deck couldn't do. I'm used to graveyard-fueled decks being able to actually recover resources in some way, and it didn't dawn on me until later that this one can't. Still, you did a good job of capitalizing on your enchantments to keep my board mostly neutralized, and you built up your own board to put enough pressure on me that I tried to rush out those big creatures instead of playing a slower game. Nicely done.

Good game! That puts Hold the Line at 2-0. On to the Dark Ascension decks?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yay! I won one! Good game!

Yeah, I'm lucky to have drawn them early since I couldn't do the early weenie rush like you did to me :) Out of curiosity, did you consider Flashbacking the Spider Spawnings and try to overwhelm me with the Spider tokens?

Yep, onto Dark Ascension!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Out of curiosity, did you consider Flashbacking the Spider Spawnings and try to overwhelm me with the Spider tokens?
I did some mental math and concluded that you'd probably gain enough life off Butcher's Cleavers to withstand my attacks, but there could easily have been more favorable lines that I missed, especially if I'd acted earlier on. I could make a whole lot of spiders, but once you killed the Boneyard Wurms by stacking blockers on them, you'd be free to employ all of your creatures blocking my spider tokens and gaining life off Cleavers to slow down the attrition from the spider tokens. In hindsight, maybe I should have tried to start pushing some attacks at you earlier, but you did have some options yourself in that situation, and I was not optimistic about it. Just casting the Splinterfright was the big problem for me. I guess I assumed that a blue/black/green deck based around the graveyard would have more ways to get its own cards out of the graveyard, and also to kill its own things. In fact, the play I was hoping for was to draw Ratchet Bomb and blow it up with three counters, which would not only kill my Splinterfright and stop the milling, but also your Oblivion Ring (bringing back my Bonehoard) and your Cleavers. I even had Green Sun's Zenith in my library, so if I activated Ratchet Bomb for 3, I could keep myself from being decked even if my library did run out of cards. I did finally draw Ratchet Bomb, but it was too late, and I realized that I had no other enchantment removal left.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Huh. Well, I haven't done the mental math, let's see... if you had FB'd them, say, two turns ago, that would have given you 18 Spider token, right? For a total of 27. I have 6 blockers with lifegain of 11. So if you just attacked with them and I used everyone to block, that would be a loss of 6 Spiders and a net loss life of 10 for me for a total of 19 after the first attack.

Next turn, you attack with 21, I block with everyone, I take 15 and gain 11 for a net loss of 4 and you lose 6 Spiders.

Yeah, that's a losing prospect. However, if you throw the Wurms in the first attack, I don't know how it would go. Do I chump block or try to kill them and lose (more) blockers for successive attacks? And you would just have to deal enough damage to kill me before the lifegain resolves since checking for 0 life is a state-based effect. So that might have worked...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, it's a grey area for sure and dependent on what you'd have to respond with. In hindsight, obviously not attacking didn't work, so I'd have gone for it because I had nothing to lose. And if I'd been more familiar with these decks, I may have seen that beforehand as well (although I also would not have played Splinterfright into a possible Bonds of Faith in that scenario).

But hey, kind of cool to have a game go to decking anyway. We've had a poison counter kill too. I'm thinking these make for better gameplay than most other precons (although you and Mooseman with the Commander precons are showing some interesting games there too).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I like playing with these and trying to figure out how to play them (aside from "bad" draws, like mana floods or lack of mana). Maybe we should do best two out of three with the provided sideboard after we do all of them :)

I like the Commander ones too, although I just have terrible luck with those in general :)