Inheritance

C

Captain Caveman

Card Title: Inheritance
Color: White
Type: Enchantment
Cost: W
Pow/Tgh: n/a
Card Text: 3: Draw a card. Use this ability only when a creature is put into the graveyard from play, and only once for each creature put into the graveyard.

I've always though this card would be good in Multi-player. Does
anyone have an idea how to exploit this card.

It appears to be very strong on it own. What do you think?

M

Mikeymike

My friend used to play this card and I could never remember the name of it. He used it as a simple addition to the deck and I used to watch him draw 6-8 cards a game with it. It is simply nasty in Multiplayer.

It almost doesn't need to be exploited as its really very strong on its own in MP but...

Cheap crature kill other than STP.
Play token decks where its easy to make and sac tokens
Planar Collapse, you'll easily spend all of the mana you have.
Ashnod's Altar with Enduring Renewal can combo with with (although Fecundity is just better)
Mageta the Lion

I'm in a hurry but I'll be sure to add more later.

G

Gerode

I've never even heard of that card, but I know I'm gonna have to get a few of my own!

I don't think mass kill is the way to go, because then you aren't able to draw to your full potential. I could see it in a WW-style deck, so you can replace your creatures once you begin to wear out.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gerode pretty much echoed my sentiments; in MP, you need lots of mana to draw cards when you have mass-kill and you're probably not going to be able to draw if a Wrath of God hits (especially in MP). I think it's just good on its own because creatures are probably gonna die in MP anyway, since people (I think) try to get rid of at least the "troublesome" creatures while setting up their defenses.

You might need a Library of Leng or another "no max cards in hand" type effect if it does turn out that you're drawing more cards than you can play.

D

Dementia

Definatly better then Armistice is the first thing that comes to mind;)

I've always liked that card. In fact, I was thinking about that card the other day...I only have one lying in my uncommon box somewhere, but I was thinking about making some sort of deck with it.

Goblin Trenchs+Inheritence+Ashmods Altar+Fastbond=:cool:

It doesn't do much, but hey.....there's gotta be a way to make it cool stuff:D

Edit: Just thought of something else. That could be kinda cool with fading creatures:) Althought I prefer to Bequethal my Skyshroud Ridgeback ta tell the truth;)

E

EricBess

As long as you are using fading creatures, you might as well throw in Penumbra creatures as well. I get a card and get to keep my creature.... ;) Basically, going that direction, you are using it more to recycle your creatures than to get card advantage by destroying your opponents, but it is less mana intensive that way anyway.

M

Mundungu

Any permanent for which you need to sac a creature as upkeep.

Transforms a drawback into advantage.

Example: Sacred Mesa

The upkeep becomes W4 , draw a card.

I wonder if I should include it in my "parfait deck"

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

I was looking through the white section of some of my loose cards, and i found 5 copies of this card. Looking at inheritance...it could have some nice uses.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Isnt their a green enchantment from Saga that does the same thing? I think it was cc'ed at 2G. I remember a combo with Saproling Cluster way back when...

Good card, as I recall. Just cant think of the name.

M

Mundungu

could also be good with fading creatures or token generators ..
(sap burst ?)

D

Dementia

Originally posted by FoundationOfRancor
Isnt their a green enchantment from Saga that does the same thing? I think it was cc'ed at 2G. I remember a combo with Saproling Cluster way back when...

Good card, as I recall. Just cant think of the name.
Yes, it's name is Fecundity. And it gooooooes like this.....

2G
Fecundity
Enchantment
Whenever a creature goes into the graveyard from play that creatures controller may draw a card.
How long will it take you to realize that I forgot the flavor text of Fecindity;)

It is, strictly speaking, probably a better card then Inheritence, but Inheritence can be better in some ways. Mono-white of course. And it does come out earlier then Fecundity. Your oppenent probably won't be able to counter it on turn one:) And if your opponent is playing a certain type of deck Fecundity can reeeally help them(note: things that help your opponent...well, they hurt you;)).

Now that I think about it.....is there any better card drawing for white then Inheritence? White sucks at card drawing and Inheritence is pretty good:)

Inheritence/Gaea's Cradle/Intruder Alarm/Nature's Revolt/Alurun/Altar of Dementia

Whoo hoo! 7 card/3 color combo for the win! Someone make this deck:D

J

Jigglypuff

Hi!

I read about this combo in Duelist a while ago. I still have the deck and play it occasionally.

Inheritance+Ashnod's Altar+Implements of Sacrifice+Soldevi Digger+Enduring Renewal+ Ornithopter+Grinning Totem

Nowadays, I use Phyrexian Altar in place of the Ashnod's Altar/Implements of Sacrifice combo.

Basically, you had every card listed in play, then you sacrificed the Ornithopter to the Altar, which popped back into your hand and you did that over and over again until you drew your whole deck with Inheritance. You then played the Totem and used it to get a card, which you could play using the Altar/Ornithopter/Renewal combo. Dig the Totem back on bottom and draw it again with Inheritance. Lather, rinse, repeat...

Granted, the combo is pretty easy to disrupt, but it's real fun when it actually works!

(- Steve -)

C

Captain Caveman

From to replies so far, I can conclude that:

Any Mulit-player deck that has White should include a few
copies of Inheritance.

Decks with Tokens and Fading Creatures are good choice's.

Sacred Mesa combo's quite nicely with Inheritance.

Jigglypuff's combo also works for MP by replacing the Totem
with Whetstone, I think(assuming I understand how it works)

Inheritance(to draw whetstone)
Ashnod's Altar(generate the mana)
Enduring Renewal
Shield Sphere(sack to altar)
Whetstone(mill everyone and say done)

T

theorgg

No, you DON"T understand that combo. The totem is to PLAY everything in your opponent's deck as well as deck them.

It's one of those "cool things" combo's.

The implements and Ashnod's alter can indeed be replaced by phrexian alter.

C

Captain Caveman

"No, you DON"T understand that combo..................."

Gotcha`

But wouldn't it be a lot easier just to deck everyone all at once in
a multi-player game.

Although, it would be pretty funny to have everyone's cards
face up in front of you.

Thanks for clearing things up.

K

krichaiushii

I've tried to use Inheritance in the past as a splash card, but I've always pulled it to trim the deck. Despite that, I've never tried to base a deck around it. A potential version might be either R/W or R/G/W.

The logic behind R/W is to pull enough cheap burn to keep opponents low on creatures, perhaps using Mana Flare for more oomph - especially when you draw into your finishing card. Don't forget about the Sisters of Flame, because every bit of mana helps.

R/G/W would have the red for burn and the green for it's multitude of ways of generating extra mana, through both creatures and playing extra land affects/abilities.

Both of these splash white for the Inheritance, but that would be all you need, methinks. If you somehow avoid using X/1 creatures in your version of the deck, Holy Light could prove a terribly useful, yet limited, board clearer, dealing -1/-1 to all nonwhite creatures.

Maybe even play Heaven's Gate to ensure your creatures (and potential allies') creatures are white. And since you are playing Heaven's Gate, why not Martyr's Cry as well, to remove all white creatures from the game, allowing everyone to draw cards equal to the number of creatures they just lost... but I digress... :p

Regardless, be wary of the "infinite" combos. They are a surefire way to get everyone to gang up on you the instant one of your key cards hits the table. And defending yourself against 8 determined players with good decks is a tad difficult, to say the least. :D

BTW - the subject line of this response might even make a good deck name. Feel free to use it.

Just some thoughts.