****ing get rid of the ****ing language!!!!

F

fuzzy510

Is there some way to protect against explicit language? If so, we should impliment it.

H

Hawaiian mage

That wont do any good at all, I've seen it all before...

There's always some way to continue curseing. It's impossible to stop it.

G

Gerode

There was a website I found on the Useless Pages that told humorous filter software stories. I spent 15 minutes searching for the link earlier today to no avail. Here's some examples that I remember:

Students could not access their own high school's page because the filter blocked out the word "high".

Some CEO of a huge Japanese company received an e-mail that had been filtered. Every time his name appeared in the message, it was something like Mi****ubishi.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There is a way but I believe you have to have the list of words handy and as HM said, people just get around it (heck, they do it now) with ASCII letters or substitutions. It's pretty much just up to us editors to stay vigilant... :)

F

fuzzy510

Couldn't you just add the other words to the list, like @$$? I know, it's hard, it requires work... :D

F

FoundationOfRancor

Why bother? No one swears to much here...

The only one that did was that Riva dude, and he stopped after a warning.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
but there's too many variations. Heck, you could put @ in place of every vowel in the word (Flores did it in his article on the Dojo). It's just a constant process of updating whereas just looking out for it is easier. And like FoR said, people are pretty good with the rules anyway.

Z

Zadok001

For example, it would have to watch for dumb@ss, he||, bitc_h, etc, all of which can be found in common usage on other boards. Head on over to MtgNews, and you'll find dozens of sneaky ways around the methods they have implemented there.

And really, we _are_ pretty good here. I say 'damn' occassionally, but I have good reason... :) Riva stopped, and no one else is very bad.

HOWEVER! If you see something bad enough to warrant removal, in your opinion, PM one of the Founders. We'll change it ASAP.

F

fuzzy510

By "bad enough" do you mean like if someone was able to come up with an emoticon that was flicking somebody off?

G

Gerode

I just created an ASCII picture of flipping The Bird, but I'll follow my best judgment and not post it.

G

Gizmo

Why do we need to censor 'ass'? It`s hardly a swear word, and then you let people get away with words like 'crap' which are about a bazillion times worse.

Just bitching. (another word that is far worse than ass but which we are allowed to use)

M

Mundungu

I dont think any kind of strict control is necessary.

As with Riva, if someone steps over the line too often, then let him/her be warned.

We are a community, as opposed to other boards (read MTG news) and to some extend care for it, for the other, and for the view the other have from ourselves. Just have a look on all the threads about the cpa members themselves ...

I think the people here are responsible enough to control themselves.

"kick ass" as a comment is ok "you stupid rectal byproduct" is not if said to a person ...

Common sense people, common sense ..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since I'm the one mostly censoring it, I'll explain my reasoning.

A one-time use is (usually) okay. Like kick-ass (or whatever mood I happen to be in :))

Multiple uses of it, even in that reference, is usually not okay with me.

Bitching, used in your context, is fine.

"She's a total bitch" is not.

Crap is usually fine, and very much preferable to it's synonym.

That help? :)