'Infinte' Turns Combos

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It really isn't that convenient though...

I forget who said it, but I think that something more along the lines of your basic "aggro, control, combo, prison" would be more applicable. It describes decks more than players, but people are multifaceted and generalizing them is usually not very helpful. If you want monikers for people, then it would be difficult to create useful categories to begin with...

Actually, I can do it right now...

We've got: people who agree with Oversoul.

AND

...people who disagree with Oversoul.

The former will be known as "the intelligentsia" and the latter will simply be called "scrubs." :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since those are talking decks rather than people, it's better to keep them separate as you can then assign the people the various deck types.

Of course people are multifaceted, but they generally lean towards ONE type than all the others. Hardly anyone has equal parts in their facets and if they do, they're in the minority that it isn't worth counting for this purpose.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I can see that. I mean, probably everyone has at least some intelligentsia and at least some scrub...

And very few people have a perfect balance of the two...

F

Force of Will Smith

Great Thread. Just had to necro it :).

you forgot wilbur, who is stubborn and is hell-bent on playing his sengir vampire deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, this thread is awesome and has...

Originally posted by Oversoul
We've got: people who agree with Oversoul.

AND

...people who disagree with Oversoul.

The former will be known as "the intelligentsia" and the latter will simply be called "scrubs." :p

T

Trigger

Yes these groupings are broad generalisations but they do have some validity.

Timmy likes big monsters, you said he is straight away at a disadvantage as they are redundant and easy to beat. HE DOESNT CARE, HE LIKES HIS BIG MONSTERS. This is a nod towards small children who play with enormous dragons, and get excited about cards like Krosan Cloudscraper etc.

Spike likes winning but is having no fun playing. Nonsense he loves playing the game (i am spike and i play a foolish amount of magic) and winning makes him happy. a good spike doesn't spend a lot of money as he wins lots of cards. This is a nod towards tournament players.

Jonny likes it cool. Basically Jonny is the average bloke, doesn't go mad for big creatures but isn't a big tournament player either. He plays the games because its fun and enjoys his cool stuff.

As you see most people only fit into one of these catagorioes at any one time, you can change from one to the other but generally you are only one of them.

Going back to something someone said earlier in the thread, i agree that combo decks are some of the hardest decks to play, especailly when someone tries to throw a spanner in the works as you are 'going off'. I also understand that some combo's seem foolishly easy to pull off, but the ones that aren't are incredible fun to play and also very difficlut

D

DarthFerret

Unless I missed it, one of the most basic infinite turn methods was not mentioned. That method is Time Vault

I found 2 ways of doing it, one was banned from tournament play, the other I do not think anyone ever really tried.

First (Banned) -- Time Vault, Animate Artifact, Instill Energy

Second -- Time Vault, Animate Artifact, Jandors Saddlebags!

Also, Tinker would work in this too!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think your second combo would work either as Time Vault has been errata'd to use time counters....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, Time Vault has been errata'd several times. If it had not been, it would be one of the most valuable cards in the game, as well as meaning something like Voltaic Key could never be printed...

A

Aneximines

Originally posted by Exaulted_Leader
Infinite mana combo of choice + Time spell of choice + Mischievous Quanar
Added.

Thank you :)

Originally posted by train
Are combos still being taken?
Yes, indeed. It's just that I don't stop by very often.

T

train

Beacon of Tomorrows and Mirari...
Beacon and Dream Halls with Soldevi Digger...
Beacon and Mind's Desire...

TimeVault and Final Fortune and Digger... played right - easy skips and more turns...

More coming soon...;)

A

Aneximines

Originally posted by train
Beacon of Tomorrows and Mirari...
Beacon and Dream Halls with Soldevi Digger...
Beacon and Mind's Desire...
How do these result in limitless consecutive turns?

TimeVault and Final Fortune and Digger... played right - easy skips and more turns...
That would work if your library was empty (or at least contained nothing but Final Fortunes... Doomsday, perhaps?). In any event, I do need to note that Final Fortune can work as a "time sorcery" if you have a Time Vault to go with it.

Thank you :)

T

train

Well - It seems you thin out your deck with each combo... but you can easily do that... then recur your gy into your lib.

Mirari copies your beacon giving you two extra turns, and the "copy" doesn't get shuffled in...

the dream halls allows you to play it for free by discarding another card, which gets "dug" back into your library...

the mind's desire allows you to play as mush as you want for free... of course - digger, or other library recursion is needed so you don't die for lack of draw...