Infernal Genesis deck

L

luke twigger

Here's my current favourite deck, it's currently Type 2 legal. Note that it is deliberately 80 cards in order to try and avoid decking yourself and that it has no sideboard as it's just for fun.

3 Infernal Genesis

These are the raison d'etre of the deck, I just fell in love with this card - it's fun for me and annoying for my opponents :) I'd have 4 copies in there but I only own 3.

2 Worry Beads

Kind of like Infernal Genesis but without the tokens - a lot easier to get into play though.

2 Game Preserve

These give you a sneak preview of what your opponent has next and also let you know what's coming next to feed the Genesis, giving you chance to play a Tutor or activate the Crossroads at Instant speed beforehand if you want. You occasionally get a free creature out of it, and often your creature will be better than your opponent's.

2 Foster

Yet another way to fill your graveyard and pick up a free creature - and it's optional.

1 Delraich
1 Avatar of Might
1 Avatar of Woe

You've got to have something worth searching for. Delraich has the added bonus that you can use free Genesis tokens to pay it's APC plus the Avatar of Woe could well get its discount if the Genesis/Beads have been doing their trick. If you're lucky, you could also sac a bunch of tokens to get the Avatar of Might out cheaply aswell (you should have seen the look on my opponent's face when I turned some Broodlings into a 12/12, played a Delraich for free and then dropped a cheap Avatar, all in one turn :)

1 Phyrexian Plaguelord
1 Fallen Angel
4 Phyrexian Broodlings
1 Blighted Shaman

These give you places to sac all those tokens. Or if any creature is about to die in combat/ from burn/ whatever, you can sac them before they go.

4 Gravedigger
1 Undertaker
2 Body Snatcher
2 Haunted Crossroads
4 Soul Strings
1 Victimize
2 No Rest for the Wicked
2 Rofellos's Gift
4 Groundskeeper

Here's the stuff where you dig everything back out of the graveyard again. Mostly they get creatures, but the Groundskeeper can get back lands (maybe for combo with Blighted Shaman) and the Rofello's Gifts are to get the vital Genesis cards back out. The Crossroads give you instant speed ability to control what the Genesis/Beads work on - drop an Avatar on the top of your library and get 8 tokens for free, then do it again to draw it into your hand. In general I went for cards you could use more than once or which got multiple creatures in one go. The Victimize could turn a single 1/1 Genesis token into two Avatars with a bit of luck...

1 Forgotten Harvest
1 Midnight Ritual

Just in case you have too much stuff in your graveyard you can use some of it to power these.

4 Worldly Tutor

These give you a chance at pulling a cool creature out of your library if you've been unlucky enough not to draw it or drop it in your graveyard already.

4 Dark Ritual
1 Crop Rotation
12 Forest
16 Swamp

Last of all, the mana-related cards working out at 41% of the 80 card deck which equates to 25 cards in a normal 60 carder.

Additional cards:

Well obviously you can add Avatars to taste, or indeed multiples of any big black/green creature that takes your fancy. There's bags and bags of non-Type 2 cards you could also use - Animate Dead or Reanimate would let you make use of creatures that Genesis/Beads made your opponent discard as could Ashen Powder in Type 2. Vampiric or Rhystic Tutors would be useful but I don't have any. One final (non-Type 2) suggestion would be Sadistic Glee - sac a whole load of creature cards in one turn to make your Fallen Angel or Broodlings big, Sadistic Glee makes them even bigger, then sac a No Rest for the Wicked and get them all back again. The possibilities are endless...

C

Cateran Overlord

Damn this is cool! Have you considered Volrath? With so many massive creatures, he can get badly oversized. Also, I'd say DPO or Spidersilk armor, to make your tokens bigger than your opponents'. Other fatties to use might be Thorn Elemental, Ancient Silverback, Tidal Kraken (if you want to add another color, or just as 8 tokens a turn!) Multani, or even me! All those tokens make a nice regenerating snack!

L

luke twigger

Any of those fatties would probably go nicely in there, though sadly I think there's only Multani that I own out of those you mention :-(

I'm thinking of building a companion deck by concentrating on token generators and creatures you can pump by saccing creatures (Fallen Angel, Phyrexian Ghoul, etc).

I saw a deck using Phyrexian Ghoul with Saproling Burst to great effect, their "tech" was using Academy Rector to pull out the Burst and also a blue spell (enchantment? instant? don't remember what) that made the Ghoul unblockable and hence 18 damage in one round (sac Rector plus 7 tokens to give it +16/+16). Ouch!

C

Cateran Overlord

That would be Infiltrate

Infiltrate
U Instant
Target creature is unblockable this turn.

That would quite badly hurt with this deck :D

G

garfobo

Or Cloak of Mists, Urzas Saga Common, 1u, Enchant Creature, Enchanted Creature is unblockable.