Increasing CPA readership

N

Notepad

I've been thinking recently about how in the world the CPA could become as high a profile site as MTGNews, Star City, or Brainburst.

Not an easy thing, I think, since The Magic Dojo was the thing that really universalized the Magic community, and after its demise, the online MTG community has splintered. We see the tournament sites doing the best. We see humor sites, casual sites, online magic sites, and all sort of splintered stuff. Our beloved CPA is such a splinter having formed in the dying times of the Dojo (you know, when it got all remodeled and reeking of corporate wannabe-ism).

That got the mental train going: Why in the hell are the tourney sites doing better than others? Partially because tournaments have the most rabid fans that want their info so they can win some madd kash. But other than that, what in the hell can keep the readers coming back?

Writers, that's what. Writers mean content, duh. Continuous writers means continuous content. Good writers means good content that can remain as a sort of guide. (What does that mean? Well, if one of us tried hard enough...we could get the casual version of the Control Players Bible, as an example).

So we need continuous information so readers will come back expecting more stuff. We need some sort of timeless guide. That is, "need" is only as literal as "the site needs more readers."

I, for one, would like to see the CPA boosted. What fields could us here work on to try to get those above two needs fulfilled? My guess is: Attention to new players, attention to casual gaming, humor, and possibly fan fiction. These are areas that seem likely for casual writers to be able to cover, and are sorely lacking on even the top profile sites.

The sorest thing I can think of is a site with a clearly identified "new player guide" of sorts. Once we have that down, we can feed in new players, then work on continuous content.

I have a lot of article/story/humor ideas that I want to personally post. I just have to find the time to write them. Plus, I have a few looney and controversial article ideas, and those always grab readers.

With Spidey mentioning some of the peak reader times were when Orgg interviewed WotC employees, is it possible any of us (pokes Orgg in the side) can get some interviews?

Any of us capable of writing a new player guide? Personally, this is something I'd like to work on, but not alone. Anybody want to collaborate on the project?

If these things can be implemented by us, the readers/writers who care about the site, maybe we can get the readership up. Clearly, it won't be a short project, and probably take a ton of time, but for me it'd be worth it. I'd like to see the CPA risen to the ranks of the high profile sites.

Imagine, a cyber world where casual concerns are equal...

:D :D :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I think that anything to boost the CPA's stature is a great idea. I can't of any way I can immediately help out with at this second, but if you need me. I'll help.

Ransac, cpa trash man

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I'll submit some humor columns. I'll also set up us some gaming advocacy columns if and when they are appropriate.

Humor:
"Ask Suza"- This'll never go outta style, if I can be brought to do it.
"Legacy Weapon"- Assuming I still have ANY ideas left.
"Miranda's Guide to Magic (With a capital M, thank you very much.)."- A look at some fun casual deck ideas, as well as card-by-card set reviews, from everyone's (least?) favorite firebug. If you don't like kawaii anime personality taken to the extreme, and a slight lean towards red (just enough to maintain an unbiased review), then speak now.

N

Notepad

...I'll start working on my primary ideas. Of course, more Mad Dog Rants in the humor section (as making Fast Effects is impossible for me right now...I don't have the master character files, nor a scanner to make new ones), plus more Casual Tactics (out with the Theme Tactics title), and definitely some fanfic. The fanfic is what I want to work on most, since it'll take the most time dedication to finish.

Meanwhile, in the background, I really want to work on the new player's guide. Maybe with something like a shopping guide of what sets/precons to buy for what types of players. There really isn't something out there for somebody who would like to test the game out by spending about $20. Right now its walk into a comic shop and trust the dealer, and more and more I am noticing dealers are becoming dumber at card games because they are specializing in Yu-Gi-Crap, sports junk, or comics. Thus making them poor judges of what good Magic cards are.

Also, a good entryway is needed. Right now its just like "Go play MTGO" or "Check out Magicthegathering.com" but that really isn't too much of a help, because you pretty much need to know how to play before getting much use out of those.

Ransac~Thanks for being there, if a little preoccupied. :D

Shiro~I'm getting the idea you're a female. Funny, I never noticed before. Sorry, man...er, I mean, um...nevermind. :D

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I'm a guy. My main characters from my storyline are female, though. If it's any clarification, look at my avatar from MTGNews (Shiro). Then you'll know.

N

Notepad

Sorry about that, man. Never meant to anger the little lady...I mean, er...NEVERMIND!

I never visit MTGNews anymore. I did a while back, but got sickened by how infantile most of their forum members are. They have sick phallic fantasies about blobish rabbit-like things. And they love bananas doing a pelvic hump. They should adult content filters for that garbage.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think those are good ideas. Someone will need to keep on top of the New Player's Guide as new pre-cons come out though.

And I still have your cards as prizes for Writing contests; I never found enough time to start them up myself :(

G

GrandChaosLord

I realize this isn't a tournament site, but how about a casual player's guide to tournaments. I've been a casual player, on and off, since Revised. I am a part of a play group of about 10 to 15 people, and about 4 of us meet roughly weekly to play. Of that group, two of us have ever been to a tournament. It was the Legions pre-release tournament. We had no idea what to expect. We were un-prepared, and I feel our experience was lessened by our lack of understanding of the tournament.

I know there are other casual players that want to try the tournament scene, or at least try a pre-release tournament. The biggest thing holding many of them back is that they don't know what to expect.

N

Notepad

While at first it looks counterproductive to a casual site, I think you're right that casual players could use some help with FNM and prereleases, since the info on Pro sites is just so damned "metagamed" and net decked. Better we here at CPA guide casual players into Magic, than let trash like Brainburst do it and turn them into skript kiddiez...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll agree to that also. Especially since the pre-releases are touted to be "informal" of the tournaments and all that...

I think someone wrote an article on Beginners Guide to Sealed/Drafting, it might not hurt to either dig it up and/or rewrite it.

T

train

Hey - that's me... casual tourney experience...

When you're running 5 colors at Regionals and it's not invasion block... it must be casual...

N

Notepad

Originally posted by train
Hey - that's me... casual tourney experience...

When you're running 5 colors at Regionals and it's not invasion block... it must be casual...
Exactly the type of tourney adivce we need. Not hardcore win-seekers, but folks just wanting to have a good time. Though, sort of silly to enter a Regionals casually, since it is nothing but a status tourney, with very little fun.

Originally posted by SPIDEY :D
I think someone wrote an article on Beginners Guide to Sealed/Drafting, it might not hurt to either dig it up and/or rewrite it.
If you can provide me the link, I'd be glad to revise it for modern times, boost it, and give it a little copy editing (whoa...me copy edit something...I must mean business. ;) ) provided its cool with the original author.

Is it possible such guides can be put into a special section? Maybe right over or under Community Forums in the menu? Or a more emphasized section within Articles?

Something to canonize them somehow. Maybe calling it "Casual Gaming Guide" or something...I dunno, just a brainstorm title. Somewhere stuff can only go if it is thoroughly edited for content, and copy edited for good English. We certainly don't wanna see half-arsed submissions up there.

Man, no more half-arsed submissions...whatever will I do??? :eek: ;)

T

train

I think it's real fun to enter regionals with a casual deck - because it's things that people do not expect to go against to start with...

And this last weekend in sealed... to go 2-3-2... I was a happy man...

Recently... watching my opponent's psychatog deck upheaval while I had a hunting grounds on the table was awesome... I simply put the worldgorger dragon into play, and needless to say - he was wishing the upheaval wouldn't resolve... no mana he could float, or anything he could wish for was worthless...

N

Nightstalkers

We do not know what you were smoking when you thought up that idea. but its the best idea to come across here since... martians in the TV?

We'll try to contribute a little towards your goal. Just don't expect us to sabotage any sites for you.

From what we have experienced in the gaming community the M:TG players have trouble finding familiar places to meet up at in areas when they move or are on a vacation (really). So why not try putting in a database of players (or places to goto) like that of MTGCraft.com before their reform. hey, its a try.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
We'll try to contribute a little towards your goal. Just don't expect us to sabotage any sites for you.
...but Brainburst begs to be destroyed. Its like a fat disgusting pig!

-Sean "SeFRo" Roney

Mad Dog: Hey! Calling Brainburst a fat disgusting pig is insulting...to us fat disgusting pigs!!!
SeFRo: Shut up and get in the box.

B

bryson430

If you need a UK-based perspective, I'm happy to help.

Will knock some stuff up if you like...

N

Nightstalkers

We are still looking for a member of the Nightstalkers. Turned up missing in the UK area...

Onto the next order of business:
Carpet bombing iraq... wait! Wrong forum.

Wearing C&C:Renegade Nod uniforms while egging MTGNews.com members houses? all in favor say neigh...

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Wearing C&C:Renegade Nod uniforms while egging MTGNews.com members houses? all in favor say neigh...
Um...what? What happened to saying Aye?

All in favor of destroying Brainburst with water balloons filled with nitro glisterine, just sit there staring at your monitor.

THE VOTE'S BEEN CAST! Brainburst goes to hell!!!

heh heh...