In Casual Game Play...

Killer Joe

do you feel that it's your responsibility to give "pointers" to newer players or better yet and more to my point, "bad" players?

-It depends- is probably the single most answer any of us will give but aside from it depending on the situation, in general, do you feel you sould (if you could) and/or either teach or show a bad player how to play better?

A pet peeve of mine is seeing players just not take advantage of their opponent's end of turn for spells or land searching or whatever else they could play at the end of their opponent's turn but will play on their turn instead be CAUSE they just have the knowledge and/or discipline to know to do these things.

What say you?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's my "responsibility", but rather being courteous and helpful to new/bad players to help their game.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
For casual game play, I feel you shoould try to improve other play, but not "play their turn" for them, And maybe not the first time they miss something, but if they continue to do it.
Definatley after eh game is over, during they game is a different animal.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, definitely go over the game afterwards and suggest what could be done better (if they're open to it).

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
According to the rules, all players are responsible to keep track of the game state. You could do this pro-actively, giving them pointers: "you're going to put a counter on that?", "you have something EOT?". That kind of stuff.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think having the opportunity to use effects at the EOT qualifies as the "game state". For instance, if my opponent has a Tim out, I'm not going to point out that he can use it at the end of my turn; the use of the ability is optional (though in most cases it's optimal to use it then). I'll suggest it at the end of the game though.

If something like counters need to be added/removed during upkeep and is mandatory (like cumulative upkeep or Fading), yes, that's part of the game state and should be pointed out since it *has* to be done.

Basically, my thinking is to play the game and see what level he's at because I don't know if he's appreciate suggestions; maybe he's trying to learn by doing and seeing. Of course, if he asks for help at the start of the game (or it's a bunch of games later), then I might feel freer about offering the help. But I took the original post as when you're playing someone for the first time and what kind of role I should play at that moment.

Killer Joe

Welllll, we have this "boy" (18) in our league who is not so new to the game but still doesn't have a lot of experience under his belt. Other players during our official league game "coach" him and the boy's usual objective is to kill me by any means possible, even if he'll die the next turn.

...I just got this "effect" on some folk that I just-don't-under-stand.....:eek:

Killer Joe

1.) I win a lot and 2.) he's a boy and all young guns want a piece of me becauce I know how to push their buttons.
:rolleyes: