Imus

Killer Joe

Okay, I have to admit, I have his show on in the mornings while I'm working out and I just like how he takes pot-shots at both sides of the political spectrum. He's a self-proclaimed Conservative but has a lot more Independents on his show than Libs and Cons.

I wasn't watching the show the day he made the comments about the girls on Rutgers basketball team but I have heard him make "Stupid" comments before. I also didn't used to know how much charity this guy does either. And he does alot for children with cancer at his I-Ranch. I also understand he's been running his show like this for 30 years and only now he gets in hot water?

Fox News is calling him something to the effect that he's a racist liberal which is an oxymoron in of itself. Personally, I don't like what he said and his show being suspended for weeks is not enough but to have him change the format of show (which, btw, is beating the SNOT out of Fox News morning show) is suicide and basically means his days of broadcasting is over.

So be it. I'm not boycotting it nor am I going to be sad to see his show go off-air permanantly either. He said he's sorry for his remarks which is a remarkable thing because he makes no apologies for anything he says and I hope folks know he means it. Money is not a problem for him so he's not going to try to appeal to his audience to keep him on the air just so he can make more money.

It sucked what he said and now its time to move on. I predict this is the end of his media career and so be it. He'll still raise money for his children with cancer operation and that should be noted.

This guy is no liberal.

Killer Joe

As it turns out Imus has been in hot water before for racial remarks and had pledged to change his ways (circa 2000). He probably could call it quits for his show but that still won't be enough for Rev. Sharpton. Maybe a public firing squad would satisfy Al. :rolleyes:

D

DarthFerret

Actually, what is really funny, is that Fox News is blasting him, yet he is carried on a Fox station. Secondly, all these people that he has had on his show, giving them essentially, free air-time, are now turning thier backs on him.

Another, and prolly more controversial, point, is that if it had been someone like the "Reverend" (yeah right) Jackson saying this, nothing would have been thought about it. I am not saying he wasn't wrong (he was), however, if a black man had called them "nappy headed ho's", the media would have ignored this. What we have here is pure Sensasionalism. That is all it is. Just media hype!

BTW, just thought I would put in that Sharpton is an idiot.

Ok, I'm done now. :)

Killer Joe

I watched IMUS this morning and his show is SO over. If they would replace him with Ann Coulter I might not even notice because they look so much alike.

There were no punch-lines, no ridiculing of the fat sports announcer, nada. I think the History Channel might be running some good stuff during that 5:30 am - 7:00 am time slot.

:rolleyes:

And yeah, Sharpton could use a little more tact in presenting his "angle" of the story.

Killer Joe

NEW YORK - MSNBC said Wednesday it will drop its simulcast of the “Imus in the Morning” radio program, responding to growing outrage over the radio host’s racial slur against the Rutgers women’s basketball team.

In a statement, NBC News announced "this decision comes as a result of an ongoing review process, which initially included the announcement of a suspension. It also takes into account many conversations with our own employees. What matters to us most is that the men and women of NBC Universal have confidence in the values we have set for this company. This is the only decision that makes that possible."

Good! Next: let's boycott BET or MTV or VH1 for foul language and disrespect to women. What? It's okay that they do that? Oh well :yawn:

E

EricBess

Personally, I don't get it. People watch these kind of shows because of how cruel and biting they are, but then when they cross some line of "decency" which who knows where that actually is, people suddenly get outraged.

News flash - if you are likely to get offended at this sort of stuff, then quit watching it in the first place. Personally, I think most of it is just trash anyway, but people seem to be drawn to that...

"Here, we'll pay you to live on the edge while people watch, but don't cross the line." Can you really have it both ways? Something like this is always bound to happen, isn't it?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
Personally, I don't get it. People watch these kind of shows because of how cruel and biting they are, but then when they cross some line of "decency" which who knows where that actually is, people suddenly get outraged.

News flash - if you are likely to get offended at this sort of stuff, then quit watching it in the first place. Personally, I think most of it is just trash anyway, but people seem to be drawn to that...

"Here, we'll pay you to live on the edge while people watch, but don't cross the line." Can you really have it both ways? Something like this is always bound to happen, isn't it?
Exactly.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
Good! Next: let's boycott BET or MTV or VH1 for foul language and disrespect to women. What? It's okay that they do that? Oh well :yawn:
Boycott BET or MTV or the holy roller channel, but leave VH1 alone.......
They have Hogan Knows Best....... hehe

I think Imus should be fired, because he is an idiot.......
Then Rev. Sharpton should have his own show and the first time he calls someone a cracker or bamboo shoot, then he should be fired....

BTW - cracker is the funniest thing I have ever been called..... :cool:

Killer Joe

Actually I think Sharpton has his own show and I know he's been in *hot water* before but not sure what for.

Anyway, let the conservatives eat one of thier own (Imus) maybe Coulter will be next.

Next!

Killer Joe

April 12, 2007, 4:33PM
CBS Fires Don Imus From Radio Show

By DAVID BAUDER AP Television Writer
© 2007 The Associated Press

NEW YORK — CBS fired Don Imus from his radio program Thursday, the finale to a stunning fall for one of the nation's most prominent broadcasters.

Imus initially was given a two-week suspension for calling the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos" on the air last week, but outrage continued to grow and advertisers bolted from his CBS radio show and its MSNBC simulcast.

"There has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society," CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said in announcing the decision. "That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision."
Close the Thread Spidey because that's all she wrote! :D

Ferret

Staff member
Please don't close this thread because it makes me think of something that annoys me:

I see so many people screaming they want "free speech" and yet these are the same people that want political correctness. The guy that runs CBS used to also be a bigwig in the NAACP. No conflict of interest there. I'll have to do some checking, but I wonder if he was President back when Janet Jackson flashed her boob during the Superbowl. To be honest, I found that offensive on so many levels...

-Ferret

"We believe that anyone can say anything - as long as we get to hear it first and approve of it!"

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Erm, I've always interpreted the freedom of speech concept to allow people to say what they wish to say, but that does not preclude requiring them to regulate HOW they say it (think back to the debate on HOUTS). In any case I'm pretty sure Imus wasn't canned so much for what he said as much as he was canned because so many companies were planning on pulling their sponsorship from CBS programming in response to it. CBS COULD have stood on the First Amendment to justify keeping the guy around, but I think it came down to bowing to pressure from their sponsors, and all the almighty dollars they'd lose if they did.

I agree on the JJ thing (as it was SO obvious they planned it to happen that way), but I also believe we (as a country) are way too Victorian in our beliefs about what is and isn't decent. I'm hoping things ease up a bit more as the years go by, but it's just as likely the right-wing fundamentalists will win out in the end.

Not to worry too hard though - these things tend to run in cycles...;)

Killer Joe

"This too shall pass"

Someone on these boards used to say that all the time.

Well, MSNBC has another talk-show guy Michael Schcornish or something like that. He hosts a radio show in Phila. and has been a frequent guest on Scarborough Country and Hardball. Its a three day trial and I'm sure Imus fans will hate him but he's alright, I guess. I'd still rather watch national news in the morning than local. In fact, I really don't even watch it, I just have it on as *static* in the backround while I'm exercising and getting dressed.

I heard Imus' producer Bernard McGirk (sp?) got canned too, I really didn't like that guy, he was NEVER funny just mean-spirited.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
while I'm exercising.

Really???? Is getting out of bed exercise????? :D

Imus was an idiot and shouldn't be on at all on grounds of cause stupidity in others......
I'm all for freedom of speech, but then not really for freedom of dumb speech..... but since it's impossible to regulate, then let-em talk all they want and let other talk to and let them get fired for being idiots......

I think freedom of speech includes the freedom to not listen.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You have freedom of speech, but not the freedom to get paid for it if no one else cares to throw money at you for talking. Makes sense to me.

Killer Joe

He's gone, whatever.

....and Mooseman, remember that treadmill in my basement that always had dust on it? Not anymore brother, not anymore... :D