I'm useless...

N

NeuroDeus

... at constructing decks. Yeah, very true I am useless at building good decks. I marvel at Replenish decks and Tinker decks. I would like to ask. How do you like to build your deck, how you test it. On what lines do you go for building decks? The only "goody" deck I did was a Rising Waters one but I dumped it because it was slowish.

T

Teferi

first i decide what i want my deck to do, then i find the color or colors that do that most efficently, then i choose the best cards i can

sounds simply but it works everytime, i'm actually quite renowned for my decks

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Teferi- Also, I sometimes look at cards, think about other cards that would work well with the first card(s), and build a deck out of them.

Killer Joe

I like building decks.
I also absolutely suck at it.
I still build them but at a price of knowing that they are Sub-Par decks and will not fare well at tournaments.
So I build them with the intent to play them in casual settings only.
I absolutely use 'Net Decks' for tournament play.
I now play tournaments for the expressed purpose of not only winning, but to have my opponents walk away 'jilted' (I can do this now since I've learned to stomach the agonozing look on my opponents faces when faced with T-S boring Death or U/W Control Slow Angel Death).
Back in the day, I used to go by a strict rule of thumb, 20 lands, 20 creatures, 20 spells. I did this for like 2 years, no wonder I sucked for so long. :)

D

Duel

I have an advantage and a disadvantage when deck building comes in.

Advantage: I have "The Eye"

Conversation over an invasion spoiler
Zadok: Now THIS is a bad card. "Scouting trek"
Me: Nah, I dunno.
Zadok: Come on, when will you be THAT desperate for land, and have 2 already? there are cards to put land into play for that.
Me: Yeah, but with Clear the Land it's damn good.

Three days later, Zvi posts his take on invasion green. The combo he mentions? Scouting trek/Clear the land.

Disadvantage: I don't have the touch. I can't assemble a mana curve. I have the tendency to say "Ooh, this looks good" and throw it in. IT leads to interesting, if not sucessful decks.

Yeah, I built a net deck.
Once.
It won. It beat down. It did what it was supposed to do. I didn't like it.
I don't mind net decks.
I don't play them much either.
I don't ever feel the need to win a tournament.

C

Crackdown

Duel --

Ever stop to think that maybe Zvi was listening in on your conversation?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
this has been mentioned before, but off the top of my head and without reading Gizmo's articles (sorry, pressed for time with this backlog), I'd say when you have an idea for a card, think supporting cards to take care of most types of permanents and to help get out your card faster and start with 22-24 land.

D

Duel

Right, Spidey has actauyll hit on the most basic rule. Take 4-12 bombs. Make synergy. PLay until well fried.

Crackdown: Now that you mention it, I have a friend who looks ALOT like Zvi......