I'm a bad person.

I

Istanbul

Today, a kid wanted $20 so he could buy a game at our store. (I work at Game Stop...we buy/sell/trade videogames). He offered to sell me all his cards for $20. I took him up on it.

What I got out of it:
A stack of about 100 commons
22 Nemesis uncommons
10 Prophecy uncommons
Two foils (Bog Glider, Darba)
8 Nemesis rares: Ascendant Evincar (yeah!), Pack Hunt, Sliptide Serpent, Oracle's Attendants, Mana Cache, Moggcatcher, Stronghold Gambit, Rhox (slightly bent)
4 Prophecy rares: Mageta the Lion, Squirrel Wrangler, Keldon Firebombers, Shrouded Serpent

I'm a baaaaad boy.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Let's see...

100 commons- $5
32 uncommons- $32
12 rares- at $5 a piece, $60

total- about $100

You are a bad boy.
Share the wealth. :D j/k

H

Hellion

Do you guys believe in "Bad Karma".

How about what goes around, comes around?

C

Chaos Turtle

It depends... the cards are only worth what the kid wanted for them, versus what Istanbul was willing to pay for them.

Additionally, if said kid gets more than $20 worth of enjoyment out of his new game, then the balance of energy has not been unduly disturbed.

It's also inappropriate to use Karma in this context. It does, after all, refer to an aspect of a religious tradition (Hinduism, and some of its descendents) and this use of it is a bit like saying, "God's gonna punish you."

What comes around, goes around? A cute phrase, derived somewhat from the idea that people are rewarded (yes, it works both ways) or punished for their good and bad deeds. It is not, strictly speaking, related to Karma, but rather is more akin to the so-called "Earth religions" in their (generally) held belief that one's deeds are returned not once, but three times.
It has been my observation, however, that this is often not the case, having seen very good people* taking a real beating (metaphorically speaking) and very bad people* getting ahead.

I tend to subscribe more to the Karmic idea, that the sum of people's good deeds versus their bad deeds is what counts at the end of it all, and the next life will be entered into at the appropriate status, according to one's level of enlightnment.

In other words: Don't be so uptight, Mr. "*sigh*" :p

* these terms being relative, of course... it's certainly not for me to judge goodness or badness

Oh, and good for you, Istanbul, but don't be mad if the kid's dad comes and kicks your ass for ripping him off. You'd deserve it. ;)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Religious philosophy CT? Damn, and I thought this was a Magic channel. Where's my remote control...

Seriously though (and on topic), Istanbul, are you kidding me? You took that kid's whole collection away for 20 bucks? You do realize that's one less potential future opponent for you to play, since that kid no longer owns ANY Magic cards. Why didn't you just take the Mageta, Wrangler, Rhox, and Evincar? That way, you could have gotten a great deal, and the kid would still have had some cards to play with!

Did you really need to take his commons? Don't you already have enough? I know I've got way more than I need. You want mine too?

Jeez... :mad:

I

Istanbul

Perhaps I should make a few points clear.

#1: The kid wanted out of Magic. Said he couldn't find anyone to play with.
#2: I TOLD him that I couldn't give him what his cards are worth. He said it was fine with him.
#3: This kid and I are actually friends.
#4: TomB, I TRIED to only take his rares. He wasn't having any of it. He wanted to get rid of ALL of his cards.
#5: I'm an agnostic. I don't necessarily believe in a god.
#6: Hellion, I used to. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work.
#7: If I'd expected this kind of reaction, I never would have posted.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I guess I understand better now. Sorry Istanbul. From your post I thought you had taken gross advantage of the kid. Under the circumstances you describe, you did the right thing. Better you get the cards at a discount than some corner shop.

I don't understand one thing though. If this kid is a friend of yours, and he wanted out of the game because he couldn't find anyone to play with, why didn't YOU play with him?

G

Gizmo

How about this side of the argument, $20 is about £14 over here.
I wouldn`t give you £14 for those cards because there are no 'must-have' cards in there. Commons are virtually worthless, 90% of uncommons are unplayable and so irrelevent and that leaves you with 10 bad rares and 2 okay rares (Evincar and Mageta).
That`s not a good deal for $14. If you are going to trade them up for something else then okay, but as they stand I think it was probably fair.

I

Istanbul

It's kind of an odd situation. See, he's a regular where I work. We talk a lot, we're friendly, but I never see him outside of a work setting.

I even tried pointing him to the local weekly tournament as a place to have some pick-up games, but he wasn't interested.

(Also, there's the fact that I would have trounced him *savagely* with even my weakest deck. This guy didn't have enough cards to put together a deck with less than three colors.)

R

Riva Iron-Grip

fuck man that is some fucked up shit. all my cards would have to go for like 1200 bucks. i got like 7000 cards. mostly uncommons and commons though.

M

Mikeymike

The kid knew what his cards were worth and he went ahead with it anyway. There was no underhanded stuff going on that either of them tried to pull, so it worked out for both parties. He got a great deal, bottom line.

Granted, you might as well of tossed him up on the counter, stole his manhood and been like "I own you and your cards bitch!" (I'm just kidding, don't take that seriously)

Gizmo, for a casual player (which I would hope the majority of us are) Istanbul got well over 2 playable cards. I thought everyone has that Squirrel Token madness deck that the Squirrel Wrangler fits in.

A

Apollo

I agree that Istanbul did nothing wrong. If the kid wanted to get rid of his cards, he would have sold them anyway to some shop that would have given him an even worse value. And although the cards may have been "worth" more than $20, I kind of agree with Gizmo. If you try to make decks with the cards, most of them are going to be worthless. The exceptions, of course, are the Evincar, Mageta, and maybe Rhox and the Wrangler in fun decks. I'd say $20 for those is a pretty even deal. Most of the commons and uncommons are just going to go straight to the bottom of his box anyway.

Apollo

I

Istanbul

Funny you should mention it, someone already HAS traded for the foil Darba. :)

I'm thinking of selling off the three common foil Mercenaries I have.