Illiteracy or Ignorance: Your Call

Ferret

Staff member
Here's another article from Mrs. F speaking out against the recent trend in sueing anyone because something you like is causing you pain...

-Ferret

"She's really been inspired lately..."

E

EricBess

I don't agree quite as ademently with this one as the other, but I do agree with the basic point. In fact, I think that point is the same here as it is with the other Mrs. F article. If you want to live a certain way or behave a certain way, than accept the consequences of your actions.

We live is a society that believes in entitlement. That's not the way the world works, people. You have to earn it. The more people try to abuse the system, the worse it gets for everyone.

R

Reverend Love

I too agree within reason. You don't burn a few tires, inhale the smoke, then wonder why you feel like oink. Come on now.

However if someone becomes a paraplegic due to a faulty safety belt being shammed through inspections...then I think SUE SUE SUE the oink out of'm.

E

EricBess

The problem is that all of the frivolous lawsuits trivialize the ones that are valid. It's a sham(e), really. I agree that if someone loses their ability to have a livelyhood due to neglegence that should have been avoided, then legal action is appropriate. If someone burns themselves because they were stupid enough to handle coffee from a drivethrough without realizing it was hot, then they should be given a coupon for a free meal as compensation, not millions of dollars.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by train
She doesn't pull any punches does she?...:cool:
She certainly doesn't. That's one of the reasons we're still together... She's kind of like me - just, a little more intense. :D

-Ferret

"Of course, what do you expect? She's Texan!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with all of that. The only smokers who really have a case are the ones who started before all the warning stuff appeared but since that happened around the 50's, there's not too many of them left (and they could have still quit when the knowledge became known).

The obesity one was just dumb and I think it got thrown out.

I think if the frivolous claims ARE dismissed, the plantiff's should be paying ALL court costs or something. That might discourage future ones... as far as I know right now, there's not really a penalty for bringing them to court.

T

train

See - I should have guessed she was Texan... but you never can tell with those Floridians...:p

"At least her governor's related to W.!!!":D

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Spiderman
I think if the frivolous claims ARE dismissed, the plantiff's should be paying ALL court costs or something. That might discourage future ones... as far as I know right now, there's not really a penalty for bringing them to court.
I agree to a point. I certainly think there should be penalties. But the people doing this are just greedy and probably don't have a lot of money, so minimal penalties. The majority of the penalties should go to the lawyers, who can afford it and who should know better. You could argue that they are just doing there job, but the bottom line is that in many cases, they are getting paid either way. Or, they figure the odds of receiving a huge contingency make it worthwhile to take on as many "frivolous" cases as possible on the offhand chance that one hits big.

Perhaps after each case that fails, a panel of 3 judges sits down for 10 minutes to decide if the case was obviously frivolous. If they can't agree immediately, then maybe there was enough merit in the case. But eventually, you start hitting the lawyers with fines and they will no longer be willing to take on a case that is obviously frivolous.

In criminal cases, that's the purpose of the grand jury, but I don't know if there is such a concept in civil cases.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Both parties should be equally liable. The penalty, if it is monetary, can be in the form of a % of pay or whatever.

A lot of lawyers take the case on the condition where no money is owed except by the final award, so they should be penalized too. But there wouldn't be cases but for the original plantiffs so they bear some responsibility.