I'll take the varient option.

K

krichaiushii

This board is for casual decks and varients. So here is my question. What Magic varients have you played (preferably in group games) that have been successful and fun?

This does not count Emperor or the standard teams, as most of us have played them and know them.

My group has played a variety, the best consisting of floating magic and bubble magic.

Floating Magic works the same as regular Magic, with one caveat. After three turns, everyone places their hands down on the table, then moves one deck to the right (or left, just keep it consistent), taking their current life total with them. Every three turns, move again. The end result is a game where diplomacy and far-forward thinking is rewarded, especially in smaller games (3-5 players), where it is possible to remember who has what in their hands as you rotate around the table. It also gives great insight into how certain decks operate. I shouldn't have to say that you only play this with people you trust, lest cards should come up missing.

Bubble Magic is your regular chaos game, with one caveat. All players have a predetermined, equal number of turns to play cards without being targetable by any other player or effect. Global effects affect the player who initiate the effect, only. Once the bubble drops, however, its no holds barred, but everyone has had a chance to build up some resources, so the proceedings are far more interesting. The most recently cast Enchant World is the one that remains in play.

There you have it. More from the strange world of krichaiushii.

F

Fire Slinger

I played 7-person Bubble Magic early today. It was really fun.

A

arhar

Planeswalker is the best format.

Correction: it WOULD be the best format if it wasn't for situations like there are 25 enchantments and 10 !!! (TEN!!!!!) of them are Furnace of Rath.

Mind you, there were only 2 Burn players, that DID have a Furnace of Rath in their decks.. And I was playing a creature deck..... GRRRRRR ;)

BTW: Planeswalker is like a regular multiplayer Magic, only before the game each player brings 5 global enchantments that affect everyone, not target a single player (Ex.: Crusade - ok, Glorious Anthem - no), the enchantments get shuffled in, and then before the first turn one gets flipped randomly. It's in effect and cannot be touched until it's first player's turn again.