ideas from my fledgeling story, "Copper"...

M

Mazzak

a few cards derived from concepts in my incipient story about a creator, his muse, and his dreams...

Copper Citadel
Legendary Land
When Copper Citadel comes into play, sacrifice a land.
T: add 2 to your mana pool.
T, pay 2 life: Shuffle your graveyard into your library.
"We creators waste practically nothing... if it isn't still working or pretty, it's raw materials or found objects. Often both."
--Mazzak

Nocturnal Inspiration 2UB
Enchantment
Whenever a player plays a black spell, add 1 to your mana pool and draw a card.
"I sleep like a rock. 'Course, there's more noise during the day, so I guess it's a learned thing."
--Mazzak

The Isle Verdigris
Legendary Land
T: add 1G to your mana pool.
4,T, sacrifice The Isle Verdigris: all players put all artifact cards from their hands into play.
"You should have seen the look on Mazzie's face when he first saw it. I don't blame him though. It is, after all, a huge freaking spike of copper jutting out of the sea"
--Zhyanno

Mazzak's Armor 10
Artifact
1: Prevent all damage dealt to you by enchanted creatures this turn.
2: Prevent all damage dealt to you this turn by a white source.
3: Prevent all damage dealt to you this turn by a non-artifact source.
4: Until end of turn, you may not be the target of spells or abilities.
5: Until end of turn, you and permanents you control may not be the target of spells or abilities.
Mazzak never held with worship, and instead entrusted his protection to his own will- and his creations.

M

Mazzak

Eyrudzel Valkyrie 3BG
Summon Spirit
Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from play, remove that creature from the game and gain 1 life.
All creatures gain +1/+3.
2/2
Her song guides the living and welcomes the dead.

Zhyanno's Guidance 2UG
Instant
Play this spell only if you would die this turn.
Search your library for a land card, an artifact card, and a creature card and put them into play tapped.
Your life total becomes 1.
"As my beloved drew his last breath, I showed him what he would be if he drew another. And behold: He lives."
--Zhyanno

N

Notepad

interesting stuff...

Is your story Magic-related? If so, have you thought about sending it in to CPA's fanfic section?

M

Mazzak

No, it's not magic-related but it's amazing how many concepts can be made into cards. for instance I have another one,

Citadel Sculptor 2U
Summon Creator
4,T: put an non-creature artifact or land card into play from your hand.
5,T: put a creature or enchantment card into play from your hand.
0/4
"Imagine it: a city with a populace of nothing but artists. Heh. The average mind would go insane just looking at the place, really."
--Mazzak

Just your average employee of the rose-shaped giant foundry that is the Copper Citadel.
The basic story, as far as I have it, is the character Mazzak starts out badly wounded from a car accident, and lies dying on the forest floor, when Zhyanno, his mythical beloved, comes to him in the form of an Eyrudzel Valkyrie (Eyrudzel is "the word that makes the way clear") to show him what he would be if he'd only draw another breath. It involves the construction of the Citadel and of course his eventual ascension to godhood (through making some really cool stuff, naturally) when he can finally join Zhyanno in a perfect state. Details will be filled in as it is written, and just because it kind of becomes magic related through my card ideas i might post it in the storyline forum anyhow. This site needs a non-magic writing forum and just an overall art forum, with perhaps increased bandwidth for pictures or something. I shall have to see about that. end rambling.

N

Notepad

Interesting stuff. (Whoa, Deja vu!)

Please let me know when/if you're gonna be posting it online. I'm interested in taking a gander at it.

Since there's a fiction topic started up here, I just wanted to let ya know I'm planning on writing a series of Magic fanfic for this site. :D

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Mazzak, your armor is incredibly good. I'd like WotC to make something similar, with cost 8.

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Mazzak
a few cards derived from concepts in my incipient story about a creator, his muse, and his dreams...
Not to poke meanness in your direction, but that sounds like Ixidor in the Onslaught novel.

Then again, my story series (coming soon to CPA) can likewise be called a ripoff bastardization of both Survivor and Lord of the Flies...

M

Mazzak

i was very annoyed when onslaught came out because the storyline sounded so much like something i would write. i think they ripped it off me.

M

Mazzak

Heat of the Forge XXR
Sorcery
Heat of the Forge deals X damage to target creature or player. That player sacrifices X artifacts, then searches his or her library for that number of artifacts and puts them into play tapped.
"The average person would mistake the citadel's smiths for warriors- it's the armor and the scars, I think"
--Mazzak

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Mazzak, if there's a card named after you, what colors would it possess. I know blue would be one of them.

Mazzak, Beautiful Shadow 1UUBB
Creature- Shade Illusion Legend
Mazzak is unblockable.
2U, pay 1 life: Draw a card
1B: +1/+1 until end of turn
3/3

M

Mazzak

Except that I'd never be the type of card anyone could master. Every fiber of my being is violently adverse to being dominated.
Anyhow, here's a little critter that I thought up while running an rpg that began in the Copper Citadel:

Wraith of the Ruins 1BU
Summon Ghost
Wraith of the Ruins cannot be blocked except by red or white creatures. If Wraith of the Ruins is ever the target of a red or white spell or ability, sacrifice it.
B: +1/+0 until end of turn.
4/1
The most popular method of liberating these frostbound souls was the "hug of death", in which a warrior would embrace the wraith, destroying it with his or her body heat.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

At great risk of stating the obvious, you must be a story-based player. Aren't you? I'm mechanic-based, and the storyline, for me, takes a backseat to the play environment.

M

Mazzak

Story-based card maker anyhow. When I play I can go either way from evil combo oink to cardflopping roleplayer.

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

I really am a master when it comes to... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrroken cards. But seriously, my work has a strong story, made to make the game programming more relevant. However, the priority order remains the same: Gameplay, then backstory.

The ability on Pandemonium's Mirella, for example, comes from her incredible charisma, attractiveness and ability to wrap people around her finger. It's not just Threaten on legs, without the threat.

Also, I try to make cards that would look good in decktypes that already exist. Dragonheart Penitent, for example, would 0wn in R/G madness, where you could do this:

6-Mountain

6-Mountain

6-Mountain
5-Dragonheart Penitent
Discard Basking Rootwallax2, Anger, two other cards.

Attack with the Rootwallas, burn any blockers.

In addition, Reanimator would get a new friend in Empowerer, which grants a Vitalizing Wind effect when destroyed.

Others:

Miranda, Early Riser- Sligh

Dividends- ProsBloom (!!!) It becomes a blue ritual.

Overexertion- Phage decks. Better 7 life than infinity. Although this would probably get banned in some unknown way.

Excarian Diplomat- Ditto. The Diplomats are also great helper cards in multiplayer, as they ought to be.

Painfighter- en-Kor decks (Redirect all damage to him and watch his power SOAR!)

Antilife Shell- Astral Slide or Parallax Wave

Draco Explosion (Fortune Flash x4 = twice the win condition in half the time)

I also thought of deck ideas:

DoomStrain (Uses Strain and a bunch of cards that eat the graveyard as a cost of business, finishing with Doomsday as early as turn three. Alternatively, Doomsday, attack with 50/9 Forest Scout.)

Land-Fu (Land-Creature abuse deck w/ Antilife Shell, Seed Carrier and Biohazard. This deck is already possible w/ Kamahl, Tree Hugger and any of the global minus cards like Infest, Bane of the Living, Planar Despair and their king, Mutilate.)

Mael Claiming (1- Attack w/ A Pretender's Claimed creature, force blocking, then Maelstrom for the win.)

Shortstrom (2- End-of-turn Mana Short. My turn, Maelstrom for the win.)

R/U Divas (Uses Cadiz Agent, counterspells, both Informers, evasion and direct damage to ensure total control. )