Ideal # of cards per set that should be viable in T1?

S

Sammy Dead-O

One of the things that's popped up a lot in articles around the net regarding Wizards' support of Type One has concerned the printing of cards that are viable in the format. There apparently needs to be more. For some reason, though, it seems like I'm constantly surprised by the number of cards from recent expansions that are used to good effect in T1.

Urza Block: Morphling, Masticore, Powder Keg, Academy, Will, Bargain, the list goes on...

Masques Block: Land Grant, Vine Dryad, Seal of Cleansing, Aura Fracture, Blastoderm, Misdirection

Invasion Block: Fire/Ice, Fact or Fiction, Quirion Dryad, Blurred Mongoose, Meddling Mage

Odyssey Block: Nantuko Shade, Cunning Wish, Chainer's Edict, Worldgorger Dragon, Squirrel Nest, maybe some of green's new weenies

I'm sure I missed some in those lists. At any rate, they're there, in pretty much every block and even set. Every set has a ton of throwaway cards, even for block and T2. How many should we expect to be viable in the oldest and most powerful format?

Please note...this is not a rant of any sort meant to criticise those who ask for more T1-usable cards. I understand that it would be possible, and think it would be great, for R&D to make some cards with abilities that impact T1 more than other formats (e.g. untargetability, uncounterability). I just wanted to get some opinions.

N

Nightstalkers

We have two things to say:
1. Fact or Fiction should be the only banned card in the Invasion block.

2. We will start going on a killing spree if we open another Odyssey whatever and get ANOTHER Squirrel Mob.

Attachments

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on how much a person feels that WOTC should support Type 1. Knowing their current level of support thanks to Mark Rosewater, having a handful of cards (say, 5-10 out of the 300+ in a block) that are still viable in Type 1 is probably pretty good, for a format that's not played by a "lot of people". If a person feels WOTC should be supporting it more, then more cards would be warranted.