Ich werde nach Deutschland gehen.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm going on vacation for like five weeks. First I'm going to Ireland for a bit (I have a good friend who is going to school in Cork), then all over Germany and also to Austria. I'll try to check in every once in a while for the Werewolf game and the D&D adventures (and maybe even the tribal game if that somehow becomes active again while I'm gone), but I can't say for sure how that will work out. The Warhammer Quest adventure will have to be put on hold shortly, since I'm not bringing the books with me. So yeah, I leave on Sunday.

R

rokapoke

Ich wuensche ich koennte nach Deutschland gehen!

Five weeks? What, do you work for the government, too?

Enjoy your trip!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Five weeks? What, do you work for the government, too?
Heh. Not really, but kinda sorta. I work for a public library. I hadn't taken any vacation since started working there, and once it built up to 90 hours I had to start using it or losing it. I'm trying to get into the University of Washington for winter, so I figured if I wanted to go to Europe, it had better be this fall, because I'll be too busy and unable to afford it later.

R

rokapoke

Well, I hope you enjoy it. Bring me back something nice, okay? And don't forget to see Koenigschloss Neuschwanstein down in Bavaria -- the "Sleeping Beauty" castle. It's absolutely beautiful.

D

DarthFerret

I say to you what I say to all the illegals around here when I hear them speaking spanish: Nosotros hablamos solomente ingles en los Ustado Unitos de America, te voy a aventar por la ventana!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I say to you what I say to all the illegals around here when I hear them speaking spanish: Nosotros hablamos solomente ingles en los Ustado Unitos de America, te voy a aventar por la ventana!
And I'll say to you what I narrowly avoided saying to customs: Oh, just deport me.

Snapshot_20101029.jpg

Also, I don't understand Spanish.

D

DarthFerret

All that it meant was "We speak english in America, and I am going to throw you through a window" My usual response when I see a bunch of illegals milling about.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
But I'm here legally!

And also rather difficult to throw through a window, but if you're skilled enough I commend you (and hope that it's a first-story window).

R

rokapoke

DarthFerret, shouldn't your statement be more to the effect of: "The majority of Americans speak English, and virtually every previous generation of immigrants has deemed it necessary to speak English, so unless you follow that same path, I am going to throw you through a window."

After all, there is no law (except in certain states, in which case [I believe] the official languages are both English and Spanish) that states that English is required for communication here in the US. Although I certainly wish there was such a law. I'm a big proponent of English as an official language, but I think the window of opportunity for such legislation closed years ago. Proposing it now would be political suicide for too many politicians.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
<shrug> If the people in question are talking amonst themselves, then I don't see a reason for them to speak English. Why should you need to listen to their conversation?

On the flip side, I wonder how many American in other countries bother to try to learn the native language... certainly on the Amazing Race, they seem to expect to always speak English and a lot of contestants "blame" the natives when they can't understand them...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
On the flip side, I wonder how many American in other countries bother to try to learn the native language... certainly on the Amazing Race, they seem to expect to always speak English and a lot of contestants "blame" the natives when they can't understand them...
Well, I do think there's definitely something to this and that Americans seem more averse to learning multiple languages than people on average. However, on my trip I stayed in hostels in two German-speaking countries (and one English speaking country). There were always people from around the world and English was basically the Lingua Franca for hostels. I only know a little German, but excluding the people who spoke it as a native language (mainly Germans who were visiting Austria or a different region of Germany than where they were from or making their way across multiple countries), I only found a couple of travelers who had even my paltry grasp of the language. And more of these people were Australian or British than were American. Also, there were people from Korea or Japan who had already spent some time learning English but weren't particularly great with it and couldn't learn German on top of that. I mean, if some Korean kid who speaks three languages when I can't even really speak two wants to travel in Europe, I'm not going to bother him about not knowing German. I might bother him about majoring in business, though. :p

I think in Germany, aside from a lot of the populace speaking some English, there's a lot of willingness to try to work around language barriers. It's not universal and I actually did run into a big problem in one completely ridiculous case. But yeah, just throwing that out there.

After all, there is no law (except in certain states, in which case [I believe] the official languages are both English and Spanish) that states that English is required for communication here in the US. Although I certainly wish there was such a law. I'm a big proponent of English as an official language, but I think the window of opportunity for such legislation closed years ago. Proposing it now would be political suicide for too many politicians.
I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. What would a law entail? Presumably you're not saying that if my sister says something to me in French that I can report her and have her fined. Hilarious as that would be, I definitely don't think it would be a good idea...