I have no clue what to call this.. :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Feel free to ignore this thread, I just need to get this off my chest..

Today I was bored so I started reading some of the Dojo's tourney reports, and I was reading a T1 Bargain report and then, in the middle of it, I came upon this:

"Lunch Break

I was about to go and grab some lunch when a guy comes up to me wanting to trade. He was drooling, talked funny, and was wearing a pink shirt. He shows me his folder and I show him mine. He picks out 2 Portal uncommons, and I picked out a Ring of Gix. He says "Dat wooks like a fare twade" and I nearly break out in laughter but say "I agree". I felt a bit bad about rippin this guy, but the site of his pink shirt reassured me that he deserved to be ripped off."

Usually this stuff doesn't annoy me that much, but this time it did. I think it was the way he described how the other talked ("Dat wooks like a fare twade"). Total mockery. I just wanted to reach thru my monitor and ring this guy's (the writer's) neck.. Then he goes on to say he ripped this guy off (not like Ring of Gix is in a ton of tourney viable decks), but it was justified. Why? CAUSE HE HAD A PINK SHIRT ON?!?!?!?!? There isn't even a sliver (ugh, sliver) of justification there.

Ok, now let me branch off here. I was in the mall a couple weeks ago, and this guy walked past us. He went past and my friend started laughing. More people pass, and they thought my friend was laughing at them!! So we leave where we were and start walking. Then we look behind us... followed. Some big people were gonna beat the crap outta us--all because we laughed, and not even at them!

Back to the original story: I wish that when the writer went back to his friends, one of the other guy's big friends overheard the writer making fun of the "guy in a pink shirt." Hmm.. now its a fair trade: 2 portal uncommons and a beatdown for a ring of gix.
I guess the moral of the this part of the story: Stop making fun of people for their appearance, way they talk (aka speech impediments, accents, etc), likes/dislikes, etc. I (as I imagine, most other people) have been made fun of in the past. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will break my self esteem." Just keep it to yourself; no one else cares.

Part 2 of this... monstrostity. :)
Ripping people off-
I imagine most people here don't rip people off. It's a maturity/"do what's right" kind of thing. I mean look, most of the people who seem to be rippers online are 12 or 13.
Anyway, going back to the original quote. Our writer tried to justify the "ripping". Of course, it was a totally bogus reason. But even if it wasn't, I still wouldn't consider it justification. There is no justifying ripping someone off. It's wrong--pure and simple. Yes, even if the other person makes the offer. For example, my friend pulled a foil powder keg (lucky son of a..) in a destiny pack. He traded it to a "wannabe pro player". My friend made the trade offer, and the wannabe even told him, "I'm kinda ripping you off here. Is there anything else you want?" I've heard it before, but its still one of my favorite things to hear when trading/overhearing a trade. It's basically setting up a halo around that person's head--ok, maybe not that far. So please, don't rip anyone--young kids, people who offer lopsided trades, _anyone_--off. It's called trading. Trades are supposed to be even.

If you read that whole thing, thanks. I read the tourney report and went out the door, really bothered by that. So here I am...

-mike

N

nekrataal

Pheew!

I agree with you Mike. I often see alot of stuff like that and it makes me mad. If people would just show a little respect once in a while we'd all be living in a happier world.

Anyway, I have often been in the position of crazy trades. Some guy offered two Duals for two Overruns?!? I wasn't sure if he was pulling my leg, just nuts or what, but I declined the trade.

Thanks for writing all of that, I hope it will open the eyes of some people.

-nekrataal
"brain too tired for a decent quote today..."

Ferret

Staff member
Nice post, Mike. Why don't you turn it into an article? Lots of people could relate to it...

-ferret

"...1 Tawnos Coffin for 3 Lords of Atlantis? SURE!"

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Actually, Ferret, I was planning on doing that. I was basically writing what came to mind, so its not really organized, but it still gets the point across.

In an unrelated note, the domain casualplayers.org has been reserved, assuming we get accepted. Baron will be getting and e-mail sometime before 10 PM EST tonight. Hope they accept...

-mike
"Jeez, Ferret, you really started something here with these quotes"

N

nekrataal

Well, I've finally woken up from my last post. Lord was I tired. Anyway, I think it would be great if you turned that into an article. BTW, whats up with the hotmail account? We haven't gotten mail in days and neither ferret or I was able to send to it. I hope Baron gets the new one up quick.

-nekrataal
"Hey, I've got a 6X9 Chaos Orb, bet that would be fun in a game..."

N

nekrataal

Well, I can get into the account, but it doesn't seem to be recieving messages. I'll take a look at it now...

W

Waubers

i just sent in an article. I sent it to the address and have yet to get an undelivered notice. Did you guys make sure that you used underscores and capitalized the C and P and A at the beginning of each word? Also I sent a copy of the file in word format if any of you have it. One last thing I sent it from my work address if you respond to it send it to waubers@excite.com The article was an attempt at dishing out my views on trading. I am going to send a copy to nekrataal just in case the hotmail address malfunctions.

Waubers

Also if any one needs any help with admin stuff let me know I'm more than willing to pitch in. I really like what we got going!

Ferret

Staff member
Hey, I'm not the only one having difficulty sending messages to that account...I tried to send my 'Welcome' article twice and it didn't show up...maybe the folders are full or something...

-Ferret

"...amazing how fast people catch on to a posting style :)"

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Wow, how quickly a thread changes topics :)

Well, I checked the Hotmail TOS, and it said the max storage is 2 MB. We only have 319KB, so it's not storage space.

Then I tried sending a message to ourself, and we have yet to recieve it. And I don't think we should make another one yet. Well just get a bunch on NewWave, whenever we are officially hosted.

-mike
"All bow down to Ferret and his quoting madness" :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I've had similar problems with my Hotmail account too, come to think of it. I went out and got a new account on www.myworldmail.com/ that's also free, has twice the available memory, and doesn't seem to have the reliability problems Hotmail seems to have. Give it a try.

TomB
CPA Member
"Does that make Ferret a quoting madman?"

W

Waubers

I too had hotmail. Then I decieded that It was too unreliable. I then switched to excite mail which works really well. They let you know when they're gonna be down and I've only encounted unscheduled downtime twice and I've had an acount for 11 months. Any way i just wanted to compliment the site builders I site looks great! If you want you can add my name to the member list as Nick Bernhardt. I hope someone got my article even though the emai lis down.

Waubers

In honor of Ferret:
"Ferret Ferret Ferret Ferret Ferret Ferret....the word has lost all meaning"

N

nekrataal

Waubers:

Yeah, I got and edited your article. Thanks for sending it in. I also sent it off to Ed for posting so it should be up on our grand opening.

-nekrataal

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Well, do to the request of Baron and Ferret, I'm only posting their 2 articles on opening day. Being that they both wanted 1st article privliges.

And Waubers, thanx for the props, and I'll add your name. Yes I know, it looks weird since there's like 15 Child of Gaea. I was just using his as a template. And I wasn't done, but I had some requests to see how far I am, so I upped all the files in their current state.
But I still haven't gotten your article from nekrataal yet.

-mike

"Yes, Ferret is a quoting madman. He lives up on a hill, all alone. And it rains/lightnings constantly... oh, wait. that's just those hurricanes"

Ferret

Staff member
Oh, if it only DID rain all the time...but, I digress...

Simple question: if we got approval tomorrow how quickly do you think you could get the site working?

...which reminds me of a few other questions burning in my brain:
1. Aside from the link on New Wave's page, how else do we want to advertise?

2. Does it cost anything to submit ourselves to some Search engines?

3. Would it be a good idea to ask The Dojo and Brainburst to provide a link to us? Are we going to have a mailing list?

4. Why is the sky blue?

5. Are my ferrets not cute - oh wait, no one has seen them yet...must buy a digital camera so I can send pics...

-ferret

"...posting and sleep deprivation: a bad combination..."

B

Baron Sengir

I have no trouble getting into it. I wonder what's wrong. If you'd like, I can send you guys the address and password again.

I had no idea I was supposed to be setting up a new address. Would you guys rather I just did that? Let me know.

I remain
The Baron
E-mail is my life ...

B

bane

3. no, it's free

4. the light from the sun hits the atmosphere which slows light (however slightly) and breaks into seperate colors and rays of light and apparently we see the blue mostly (maybe because it has one of the highest frequency?). Anyways, I just remembers stuff I hear I guess...

.oO(bane)Oo.

W

Waubers

Did you here they found some new kind of light that doesn't register on a spectrometer, weird huh?!

Bane I got 2 Greedy dragons last night so we should be able to really work out something.

Waubers

Remember the light at the end of the tunnel, is most likely an oncomming train.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
1. umm.. search engine, word of mouth, a link on every magic page we can find
2. nope; free, free, free
3. it probably would be a good idea because that means more exposure. I dunno about a mailing list. Isn't a BBS like the but more interactive?
4. see what bane said.
5. i dunno, but why is it called Rhode Island? It is neither a road nor an island. :)

-mike

W

Waubers

I would love to put a link to the CPA on my site, but I really don't want one that it very big seeing that I have limmited space and I don't want my page to take 5 min to load. I move that we develope an additional much smaller logo that the members can use to link to out website. Any idea's?

Waubers

"I shall call him MiniMe"

Ferret

Staff member
Maybe we can make a nifty banner ad - or some tiny link icons...

-ferret

"anything would be better than The Dojo's WWF banners"