I hate Replenish!!

D

Daenen

That being said, here is the real reason for this post: I want to build a deck that is either aggresive enough to beat the snot out of Replinish or stop it before it even gets started. Here are my two ideas:

Aggrisive Land Destruction ver. 1.0

Land Destruction spells (20)
4 Avalanche Riders
4 Stone Rain
4 Pillage
4 Lay Waste
2 Sowing Salt
2 Rumbling Cresendo (experemental, works mid-late game)

Other spells (16)
4 Howling Mine (it works, don't knock it)
4 Masticore
2 Lightning Dragon
2 Crater Hellion
4 Shock

Land (24, undecided, right now it is:)
4 Crystal Vein
4 Ghitu Encampment
4 Sandstone Needle
12 Mountain

The other deck I have is even more aggresive. I took it off of the dojo from Christopher Adams, and I like it a lot. Here it is, Blazing Bargain:

4 Bargain
4 Rit
4 Tutor
4 Metalworker
4 Colossus
4 Thran Dynamo
4 Grim Monolith
4 Voltaic Key
4 Heart of Ramos
4 Skull of Ramos
2 Blaze
18 Swamp

Build it on Apprentice, and see how you like it. Remember, these decks are not designed to be fun. They are designed to kick the snot out of the other player just because he decided to play the most annoying deck in the world: Replenish.

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG Guard

Nice to see you Daenen. A couple of ideas for the first deck, since i do play a lot of ponza. Take out shock for seals, they work the same and the seals become a 1/1 with opalenscence. You'be gotta put in 4 ports, they slow down the deck incredibly. If they only have 1 island at the beginning of the game, locking it down will prevent frantic search and attunement. Powder keg works really well against replenish as long as they don't get out a seal of cleaning before the opalenscence. Get 4 counters on it and wait. I also think tec break would be a good addin. I play 4 maindeck, and crippled a replenish deck with them. They can't handle massive LD like that. They can hadle losing one land a turn, as long as they can keep attuning. I would try to take out the dragon/hellion. They tie up to much mana. If you are in the position that the hellion will help you (they have opalescence down) your already dead (tide's going to lock down all your land). 4 Cave-ins should definitely be sideboard. They don't need to be cast, and can 2 can whipe out all enchantments- I just did it yesterday to my friend, hehe. I hope theses suggestions help.

C

Captain Caveman

Here is the Land Destruction deck I play from
time to time. It might be good enough to beat
Replentish, after sideboarding, but I'm not
sure. In the hands of a good player that deck
is really hard to beat.(e.g. Replentish)

Well anyway, here's my deck:

LDR (Land Destruction Red)
4 Shock
4 Pillage
4 Powder Keg
4 Stone Rain
4 Seal of Fire
3 Ring of Gix
2 Tectonic Break
1 Flowstone Slide( ...for Rebels)
1 Hammer of Bogardan

4 Avalanche Rider
3 Masticore
1 Lightning Dragon

16 Mountains
4 City of Brass (...four color sideboard)
3 Rishadan Port
2 Ghitu Encampment

What I put in the Sideboard depends on what I
thing I'll be facing. Being able to run four
colors helps to tie up the loose ends.

Thanx,
Caveman

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

This deck is just supposed to beat Replenish, right? It doesn't care about other types of decks?

D

Daenen

You see, a good Replenish deck has the ability to slaughter just about everything out there, usually before Sideboarding. They can get rid of your creatures or lands on turn 4, and sit back and laugh at you for a few extra rounds while they get their engine going. The last time I checked, just about every deck out there was dependent on Creatures or Lands. With out those, you're screwed. The only weakness Replenish has is that it has to have 3-4 lands on the table before it can do anything. So, I am attempting to build a deck or two that will stop that from happening. That Land Destruction deck I built would probably lose to Stampy and the like, but the Bargain deck can pull out a 2nd turn kill, or if I don't have the bargain, I can throw out a 2nd turn Phyrexian Colossus and watch the other player stain his pants (just kidding).

What I was trying to do was build a deck that was aggresive enough to slaughter Replenish. In St. Louis, at the local Thursday Standard Tournament, there are about 8 replenish decks floating around (between about 24 people, that's 1/3 of the competition). If you were to go to a tournament, and you wanted to win, would you play a deck that could automatically beat 1/3 of the competion?

M

Mr_Pestilence

You are correct - LD can hurt Replenish. The only problem is, they can run Misdirection and Planar Birth in the SB, which makes it too dangerous to run your own LD.

In my LD deck, my entire SB was dedicated to beating Replenish.

4 Cursed Totem - as long as they have Opalescence in play, this stops Wave, Tide, Seals, Attunement, etc.
4 Thran Foundry - wait for the Replenish, and make'm shuffle Graveyard back into library.
3 Earthquake - clear the board of Enchantment-creatures.
4 Scald - make'm pay for tapping those Islands!

Hint: I generally side out all my LD for this stuff.

I

Istanbul

Tranquil Grove.

Sure, it doesn't take care of Seals and such, but if you can get rid of the Seals first somehow, Tranquil Grove is a total shutdown mechanism vs. Replenish.

D

Duel

*Istanbul is Smited Mightely!*
Gotcha!
TAG GUARD
I use suicide black/green stompy. If you play with Dark rituals (and who doesn't) suicide black has stayed with me throughout the domination of trix, throughout the replenishmania, and straight through the 5c sneak attack. I suggest you play a brawling deck.

C

Chaos Turtle

4 Blastoderm
4 Albino Troll
3 River Boa
3 Elvish Lyrist
4 Avalanche Riders

4 Shock
4 Seal of Fire
3 Hammer of Bogardan
2 Fault Line
4 Pillage

4 Karplusan Forest
8 Forest
8 Mountain
2 Sandstone Needle
2 Treetop Village
1 Dust Bowl

Blastoderm is a cruel beating with burn backup, and gives Replenish a time limit. The landkill also hurts Replenish.

Good overall against most decks (with skillful play...this deck doesn't play itself, you'll need to think) with potential to win vs Replenish on its own, and very good after the sideboard (Harmonic Convergence and that ACC Tranquility).
You will need to try to burn the Parallax Wave if they've got Opalescence in play with it or your Convergence and ACC Tranq will not help you at all.

Additionally, this deck is a lot of fun.