I hate infiltrator*******!!!!!!!!

T

Turtlewax Joe

I:mad:HATE:mad:THE:mad:FRIGGIN':mad:SHODOWMAGE:mad: INFILTRATOR:mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The purpose of this thread is to thrash and bash Shadowmage Inflitrator. Someday when I'm teaching a newbie how to play, I can say, "Back in the day...yup, yup,yup. I'm OLd SCHOOL Infiltrator hater!":mad:

[Edit: I forgot to make this a pole:embaressed:! Say if you hate the infiltrator or not....that's how simple it is]

Z

Zero T Katama

Yeah, I know what you mean. Stupid Souped up non-flying copy of Theiving Magpie you!

S

Secret Asian Man

I have never seen a Shadowmage Infiltrator used ever. But I bet I would hate it if it was used against me and love it if I had a playset of them and built a deck around them.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Naah.

SI is OK.

But Opposition, now THAT card pisses me off (along with most Blue cards in general).

I

Istanbul

Put simply, Shadowmage Infiltrator wouldn't be nearly as fearsome if it didn't come with Fear for free. It also wouldn't be nearly as fearsome if it wasn't black/blue, the colors of discard and countermagic...this means that not only do you have to be fortunate enough to figure out a solution for him, but you have to push it through.

Shadowmage Infiltrator is hella strong, simply because (A) he has better built-in evasion than flying, (B) he does damage while he does C, and (C) he draws you a card every time you hit, making it even harder to effectively stop him.

I'll put it this way. I've been building my decks with this knowledge in mind: if I don't have some way to kill or nullify Shadowmage Infiltrator, I'm going to have trouble.

T

Turtlewax Joe

I thought I would get negative feedback on by extreme hatred of the friggin' Infiltrator. I'm glad to see that some of my fellow CPA'ers are also fellow Infiltrator haters aswell.

The main reason i hate this card is that it is so *explicet delete* dumb that people have gone so far as to call it a win condition!
Now, if this doesn't steam your bean I don't know what will:mad:
It may help you achgieve card advantage which is a large part of winning but it will in NO way directly WIN you the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T.J.:p

And amen to the Opposition comment:)!

I

Istanbul

Infiltrator CAN be a win condition, TJ. Realize that you've essentially got a personal Howling Mine that swings for one a turn and is (almost) unstoppable, and that it's potentially drawing you more and more blue cards to stop whatever your opponent does, and it CAN swat your opponent twenty times for the kill.

I wouldn't use it that way (I'd probably support it with Urborg Drake and one other thing so that I didn't have to wait 20 turns), but you could conceivably kill with it, and it wouldn't be *so* far-fetched.

Killer Joe

To really add insult to injury would be if SI also had, "Can't be the target of spells or abilities." and "Can't be countered" and"Pay 1: Draw an additional card when SI deals damage or pump SI up +1/+1."

Okay, I HAVE been beaten down with SI (It was his only 'win condition'). But when I saw the same guy playing someone else, that thing was stopped cold by a very well protected Wild Mongrel.

Also, I remember when I hated Tradewind Rider, then I got four of them and I loved them. Same goes for Cursed Scroll. When you own them, you won't hate them so much :).

I

Istanbul

Er...no. SI is undercosted as is. To add any of those would be a screw-up of Morphlingesque proportions. :)

T

Turtlewax Joe

The SI is undercosted....and even if I owned them(ya right)I would not play them....I would sell them for $10 a piece to some lowly street bum for toilet paper....I woud gladly own 4 BoP or
4 Blurred Mongose, or 4 of any good rarwe then the crappy SI....................HMMMM let's play a shivan Zombie and nuetralize the infiltrator for the rest of the game and then see if it's a win condition, eh?

If you can neutralize with a Shivan Zombie, I wouldn't call it a win condition...

T.J.:p

Z

Zadok001

Infiltrator isn't BAD, TJ. People are playing it for a reason - It's an amazingly powerful card. It really is. It's cheap and undercosted, and it's GOOD. Yes, it can be neutralized. I know that. That means nothing.

(You know what I just realized? Every time a really good card is released, and the price skyrockets, I find people (mostly on MtGNews, which means its rarely coherent) talking about how easy it is to stop. Wierd.)

M

Mikeymike

If you get some and you're selling them for $10 - I'll buy them from you.

I have a strong dislike for Finkel, but not a hatred. It is a great card and I respect it, but what bothers me is that it takes no skill to make the card work and it immediately makes 95% of any deck its put into that much better.

This statement can be said about a bunch of cards, so I guess the real reason I don't like it is because I'm jealous that my opponent gets to draw so many cards and don't :D.

I was once beaten to death with 4 - yes 4 - Finkels all in play at the same time. My opponent was mistakingly tapping out each turn to play his hand, he shouldn't have but he was drawing 4 extra freaking cards a turn and he Meddling Maged the 3 most important cards in my deck. Needless to say I've had better games.

G

Gizmo

As an interesting aside our team went to a tournament.
We all played UBW control decks.
In our decks there were 0 Shadowmage Infiltrators.
In our folder there was 12 Shadowmage Infilitrators.
We took 1st, 2nd, and 4th place at the tournament.

M

Mikeymike

Out of curiosity Gizmo, were these UBW builds reliant on WoGs/Routs and Desolation Angels? And were you running Theiving Magpies instead or were you nearly completely creature free?

M

Mikeymike

Hmmm...funky. That totally wasn't the answer I was expecting. I'm trying to figure out your win condition beyond the Lynx, maybe Millstone (Traumatize?) and/or Death Graps and Undermines. You got the gears in my head turning....

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

Quote of the Week
"I hate that card!" - Jon Finkel, being beat down by 3 Shadowmage Infiltrators at PT-New Orleans

Reported by Nathan Woodall

LOL:D

I

Insane_Penguin

People are trading a rage for a finkel....

Call me strange* but I think this doesn't make sense because

1. Rage is worth more
2. Rage has already been proven in type 2
3. Rage can kill finkel
4. Rage cal blow the oink out of a creature or player for 3 or 10
5. Rage can't be countered, unlike finkel
6. I just like rage better:D

*please do not taunt the penguin, he is depressed enough already because of the existence of opposition....:(

*shudders*