I Collect Spores [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I wanted to build a deck themed around spore counters. There aren't that many cards that use spore counters, but they do have a commander. Because this was bound to be a black/green deck and I lack imagination, I also went with a Loam package. Still, I think this one could be fun and it is my hope that I'll put a great many spore counters on my creatures.

Commander
1 Thelon of Havenwood

1 Abundance
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Assassin's Trophy
1 Barren Moor
1 Bayou
1 Beast Within
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Constant Mists
1 Contagion Clasp
1 Crop Rotation
1 Damnation
1 Dark Petition
1 Dark Ritual
1 Deathspore Thallid
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Doubling Season
1 Earthcraft
1 Elvish Farmer
1 Evolution Sage
1 Exploration
1 Far Wanderings
1 Feral Thallid
1 Fertile Ground
10 Forest
1 Fungal Bloom
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Genesis Wave
1 Glacial Chasm
1 Harrow
1 Karn's Bastion
1 Life from the Loam
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General
1 Manabond
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Natural Balance
1 Night Soil
1 Nurturing Peatland
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Overgrowth
1 Parallel Lives
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Phyrexian Altar
1 Pitiless Plunderer
1 Polluted Delta
1 Psychotrope Thallid
1 Reanimate
1 Regrowth
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Roiling Regrowth
1 Savage Thallid
1 Scapeshift
1 Seasons Past
1 Skullclamp
1 Sol Ring
1 Splendid Reclamation
1 Spore Flower
1 Sporesower Thallid
1 Sporoloth Ancient
1 Squandered Resources
1 Strip Mine
5 Swamp
1 Sylvan Library
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Thallid
1 Thallid Devourer
1 Thallid Germinator
1 Thallid Shell-Dweller
1 Thorn Thallid
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Tukatongue Thallid
1 Utopia Mycon
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Vitaspore Thallid
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider
1 Wasteland
1 Wild Growth
1 Winding Constrictor
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
1 Zuran Orb

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sadly, this one really hasn't ever had a chance to do much of anything. My opponents are popping off and I'm still putting a second spore counter on Sporesower Thallid. Like, once I get that third counter, look out! I really don't think that this deck should be that bad, but it sure has had bad luck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've been keeping this deck around because I am really fond of it and want to see it actually accomplish something. I continue to be disappointed.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
OK, then. Wow. So yeah, I finally won a game with this deck. It was one of my longest games in recent memory, and I ultimately ran out of cards in my library. The very last topdeck was Regrowth, which got me Seasons Past, which stabilized me. But it was brutal up until that point. A lot of sitting on Glacial Chasm against overwhelming board states. I forgot that I chose not to run Eternal Witness in this deck, and this game left me sorely regretting that fact. I was being careful to minimize dredging up Life from the Loam once I realized that topdecking Regrowth represented my only winning line. And of course it turned out to be on the very bottom. Simultaneously frustrated, overwhelmed, and glad that this deck got to live its dream. Spore counters didn't seem like they could do much, but eventually I used them with Psychotrope Thallid to make and sacrifice 10 saprolings, leaving myself with just one card left in my deck. I was bewildered not to see Regrowth, then as the turn was passed to me and I topdecked it, realized that I had just effectively won the game.

I think that's enough for this deck. Thallids are cool, but Thelon has given me more than his fair share of stress this year.