How to find players in the Denver area?

M

MumboJumbo

Hello hello,

First of all, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to revoke my membership, ban me from the website, and flood me with nasty e-mails. This is only my first post, and I certainly should know better.

Anywayhow...

I have a pretty sad story to tell. *Hands out the kleenex* Since moving from Renton, WA (home of WotC, oddly enough) to Denver last December, I haven't played a single game of Magic! (Oh, the horror...)

In Seattle I was fortunate to find a great group of guys to play Magic with once a week. Seeing a post on the Dojo's "Casual Play" section from a guy in Seattle about a casual play group he was in, I wrote him to see if there was room for one more. I was cordially invited to join, and had a blast for a year and half until moving to Denver.

I have a friend here in Denver that plays, but after he cancelled on me for the third time in a row, I decided I need to try finding people who have some time in their schedule to play a few games of Magic. Problem is this: how do you find these people? Does anyone have some suggestions?

First off, I work from home, so I won't be introducing any co-workers to the game. And my wife detests the game. To the best of my knowledge there are no nearby gaming stores that host games. Ok, so there might be a few stores that do the "Friday Night Magic" thing. But I'm not spending my Friday nights in a gaming store (not to mention what my wife would do to me if I even suggested that notion.) To top it off, my few excursions to gaming stores to find fellow players have *not* been good experiences, so I'm not sure I'd go if there were local stores with Magic nights.

I was hoping the CPA would have some sort of search feature what would allow me to look for players in the area so I could write and ask if I might join them, or at the very least ask them for suggestions on where to find some casual players.

If anyone out there can help me make use of the dusty Magic cards sitting idly in my collection, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you and good night.

MumboJumbo

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the CPA has that kind of search feature (that's weird, since this was just brought up by another member here), but your post is pretty much the next best thing. Hopefully someone's who's from the area will reply and see what you guys can work out.

Alternatively, you can download Apprentice from here and find tons of players online to play against.

C

Chaos Turtle

Check the Yellow Pages under "comics stores." Also try "card sellers - non-sports."

(Actual category names may differ somewhat.)

That's how I tracked down players in my area... and there are very few.

M

Mundungu

If some stores run Friday night magic, the chance is big that they open the store for regular play some other time in the week. Check it out with the shop owner(s).

He might also be able to hook you up with some local players.

When I moved to my new location here it took me month b4 discovering that the local store was running Magic every tuesday.

And if the store(s) dont run any other night for magic, maybe you can introduce the notion.

Another way is to go at least one of the fridays, even if for just passing by one hour. Check the crowd, get a few chats going and find out who meets where to play.

I am sure that a big town like Denver will have players and an active community.

In the meanwhile, stay with us here on the CPA to keep in touch with the game and the spirit of the game.

Good luck !

Killer Joe

There's a couple of pro tour types in Mile High that write for Star City, you can e-mail them from there about people and places to go and play.
About your friend, hmmmm, get together with without magic being planned, maybe you'll find out he thinks your playing the latest killer combo on turn one or something :). Maybe.

T

TURD CUTTER!!!

...if you don't mind flying out to Maryland.:D

Yeah, I don't specifically know any websites where you can go, but you can find anything on the internet nowadays.

I am truly open to you flying out to my place, but I won't fly out to Denver (too poor/young)

S

Salacious Crumb

If you go to maryland, you can also play magic with me!:D
Hurray! I also don't know any denver search engines

Hoipa